Anderson Leveling system for 21' - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2014, 05:28 PM   #61

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
So there you have it, Alf. Another practical application, yes definitely worth a pat on the head.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:44 PM   #62

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' OTW
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
That's what the "Cow patties" are there for
Thanks, I gotta lighten up!

Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:16 PM   #63

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Yes, X-chocks. Is that what this is? I call 'em wheel wedges.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Yes, X-chocks is a name brand.
Although X-Chock is a brand name, and they have the same function as the wedge design shown, the X-Chocks are built somewhat differently and have an X shape (thus the name).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:18 PM   #64

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
We shall see how these homeboy levelers do. Glued-up 2x8's then coated with resin. Was going to cut the same profile curve as them store-boughts but then thought.... is that curve really necessary?
It depends on how you want them to work. If you just want ramps, they don't need any curves. The Andersen levelers are not just ramps, since the main part rotates (or rocks) with the tire (unlike a stationary ramp) and is wedged in place with the chock part, leaving the tire in a cradle instead of on a flat sloped surface: that requires a curve on at least the bottom side.

Ramps can also be done in stages (such as steps, each the thickness of your lumber) - in this case the tire ends up on a level (not sloped) surface, but you can only adjust height in those height steps.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:16 PM   #65

With both designs a chock is required, although each curved Anderson ramp requires its own chock whereas the Myron ramps only need to be chocked once, at the front or leading wheel. This results in a savings of one chock.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:21 AM   #66

Trailer: 2014 E21
Quote:
Yes, X-chocks. Is that what this is? I call 'em wheel wedges.
Myron,

I like what you've done with these wedges. I saw the caption in your album that said you used 4x4s. Is the angle critical? Looks to be about 30 degrees eyeballing. And how long is the threaded rod? Thanks.

Glenn
Old 04-19-2014, 09:39 AM   #67

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by abby View Post
Myron,

I like what you've done with these wedges. I saw the caption in your album that said you used 4x4s. Is the angle critical? Looks to be about 30 degrees eyeballing. And how long is the threaded rod? Thanks.

Glenn
There was a previous discussion in this forum regarding the home built chocks. I believe that dimensions were also discussed. http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...html#post28149

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:03 AM   #68

Ah, wood. What would we do without it?
Attached Thumbnails
Wbear.jpg  
Old 04-19-2014, 05:27 PM   #69

Trailer: 2014 E21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
There was a previous discussion in this forum regarding the home built chocks. I believe that dimensions were also discussed. http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...html#post28149
Thanks Dave.

Glenn
Old 04-30-2014, 08:49 AM   #70

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
Modified Anderson Levelers update

I tried using my modified Anderson Levelers this last weekend at the Spring NOG (see post #1) and was unsuccessful. I was parked on wet, fairly level pavement, so I only had to lift my 21 a small amount. I placed one leveler behind each tire on the drivers side and slowly backed up. The rear tire started up the leveler just fine. The leveler between the tires slipped, wedging itself between the tires. I couldn't move forward or backwards. I had to knock it out using the blunt end of an ax. I tried a second time with the same results and ended up using the old standards. The plastic blocks I used between the tires also moved, but nothing got jammed between the tires so I was able to finish the job. I'm now deciding what to do about the Andersons. Granted, the pavement was slippery, and anyone who owns the Andersons knows that they're also slippery, but getting wedged between the tires is unacceptable. I may try sticking some of that sticky-backed sandpaper (used on steps) to the bottom of the wedges but I'm not sure it will stick. I may change the slope of the ramps, or maybe I'll have to shorten one of the ramps. Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas?
Thanks, Tom
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:54 AM   #71
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Tom, slippery sites is a MAJOR concern for those that camp in the Pacific NorthWET. Dang moss anyway. Wood used for leveling can be just as bad, because wood gets slimy and slippery. Sure hope folks can figure out an easy and effective solution. I'm still hoping, hoping, hoping the two BAL levelers I now have will work with my new 5er.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:05 AM   #72

Donna, I'm leaning towards changing the slope of the ramp along with making the bottom less prone to slipping.

I had a great time at the Spring NOG. I met a lot of nice people whom I hope to see again. You, by the way, did a great job putting it all together. See you at future gatherings. (NICE NEW PICKUP)
Tom
Old 04-30-2014, 09:29 AM   #73

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: TAfraser... Now you've modded the Anderson's why not use a wood rasp or grinder, to make the bottoms rough?? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:32 AM   #74

Good idea Alf. I"ll look into that also.
Tom
Old 04-30-2014, 11:38 AM   #75

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAfraser View Post
I tried using my modified Anderson Levelers this last weekend at the Spring NOG (see post #1) and was unsuccessful. I was parked on wet, fairly level pavement, so I only had to lift my 21 a small amount. I placed one leveler behind each tire on the drivers side and slowly backed up. The rear tire started up the leveler just fine. The leveler between the tires slipped, wedging itself between the tires. I couldn't move forward or backwards. I had to knock it out using the blunt end of an ax. I tried a second time with the same results and ended up using the old standards. The plastic blocks I used between the tires also moved, but nothing got jammed between the tires so I was able to finish the job. I'm now deciding what to do about the Andersons. Granted, the pavement was slippery, and anyone who owns the Andersons knows that they're also slippery, but getting wedged between the tires is unacceptable. I may try sticking some of that sticky-backed sandpaper (used on steps) to the bottom of the wedges but I'm not sure it will stick. I may change the slope of the ramps, or maybe I'll have to shorten one of the ramps. Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas?
Thanks, Tom
Had a somewhat similar experience a couple weeks ago on the first trip with our new 21'. Was camped in a WalMart parking lot near the edge of the lot where it wasn't level. Levelled the trailer fine with the Andersen levellers. I intended to leave the trailer hitched up to the tow vehicle for a quick getaway in the morning, but didn't like how much the rear of my TV was being lifted off the ground, so decided to unhitch the trailer for the night. In the morning I got the coupler on the ball but was having a tough time getting the latch closed on the coupler (is that the correct terminology?). I tried pulling the trailer forward a bit, backing it a bit and after awhile of rocking it back and forth, finally managed to get the coupler properly attached. At this point I went to remove the levellers and discovered that the one between the wheels had jammed just like you described.

At this point I was quite miffed as it looked to be jammed in very tightly, but moving the trailer a little loosened it up enough to simply pull the leveller out and away we went. I think in the future if I have problems with the coupler, I'll get all the levellers out first before rocking the trailer back and forth.
bpjod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:11 PM   #76

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I think in the future if I have problems with the coupler, I'll get all the levellers out first before rocking the trailer back and forth.
That may be hard to do because you have to first hitch the trailer and in doing so you may have to rock back and forth to have the hitch lock on the ball. A "Catch 22" situation. Perhaps just using the flat plastic levelers on hard surfaces vs the Andersen maybe the solution. Save them for the porous surfaces.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:39 PM   #77

This idea might help with the rocking.
Attached Thumbnails
wheel1.jpg  
Old 07-22-2014, 01:46 PM   #78
Site Team

DANG! I meant to take a picture at the Oregon Gathering of the two BAL levelers on the drivers side tires of Ten Forward. Boy was Ten Forward easy to level. It wasn't off much, I tried driving up on two Lego blocks first... with about ten people standing there watching me! Not enough lift for that side. Shoved the BALs undernearth the tires, racket, rachet, rachet (evenly) and LEVEL. The tires weren't off the ground. Just enough to level. I think I'm gonna love this system. One worked well on the Scamp, two are going to work on Ten Forward. Cool beans!
Old 07-22-2014, 02:07 PM   #79
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
DANG! I meant to take a picture at the Oregon Gathering....
I'm sorry Donna, you lost me after that.

Still waiting for pics girl!
Old 07-22-2014, 02:21 PM   #80
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Still waiting for pics girl!
I know... sigh. I didn't take one picture of the inside while camping and now it looks like a bomb went off inside, Oregon Gathering stuff everywhere on the floor, etc. I have to go over and clean 'er up on the weekend. I'll take pictures then and post... PROMISE!

Tags
levelers