Anderson Ultimate Question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-11-2020, 02:05 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Anderson Ultimate Question

I have a pickup date of 8/6 scheduled for an Escape 5th wheel. Of course there is a lot of uncertainty about dates these days, things being as they are. Also need to get my 2017 Escape 19' spruced up and ready for sale. At any rate I would really like a gooseneck installation account of the flat bed it leaves behind when not towing. The truck, 2011 Silverado, 6'6” bed, 53” box height, high lift axle on the trailer. I have some questions, Trademasters responded with pricing, but no answers to these questions:
-Can I get the tailgate open and closed when towing, gooseneck mount? Rail mount?
-Is there any room ahead of the hitch for a toolbox, gooseneck mount? Rail mount?
Thanks folks, happy Easter!
Padre
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 02:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA
I had a 2014 sierra w/6'6" bed, B&W under bed, Andersen in bed. If TV perfectly square w/5.0 I could open the tailgate (w/1.5" clearance). Plenty of room for toolbox in front.
PM15283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 02:50 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Read through this tread for more information about the impacts of the Anderson pin coupler position on clearances and towing.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ler-17497.html
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 03:01 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
The gooseneck base for the Andersen hitch is pretty large - bigger than the rail mount base - and likely will not leave room for a toolbox in the front of the cab. An alternative, if you want a gooseneck base mount but also want to have room for a toolbox, is the Demco Recon conventional hitch. It has a traditional hitch head but a pyramid base similar in concept to the Andersen base, so it is much less bulky than most conventional fifth wheel hitches. It's lighter also - 94 pounds, heavier than the Andersen but much lighter than other conventional hitches.

I have a Ram 1500 with 6'-4" bed and a toolbox easily fits in the front of the bed ahead of the hitch. My hitch is rail mounted, but there is an almost identical version - the base is the same size - for a gooseneck mount. https://www.etrailer.com/Gooseneck-a...DM8550045.html
Attached Thumbnails
Recon hitch 1.jpg  
Old 04-12-2020, 10:29 AM   #5

Trailer: 2019 5 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre View Post
I have a pickup date of 8/6 scheduled for an Escape 5th wheel. Of course there is a lot of uncertainty about dates these days, things being as they are. Also need to get my 2017 Escape 19' spruced up and ready for sale. At any rate I would really like a gooseneck installation account of the flat bed it leaves behind when not towing. The truck, 2011 Silverado, 6'6” bed, 53” box height, high lift axle on the trailer. I have some questions, Trademasters responded with pricing, but no answers to these questions:
-Can I get the tailgate open and closed when towing, gooseneck mount? Rail mount?
-Is there any room ahead of the hitch for a toolbox, gooseneck mount? Rail mount?
Thanks folks, happy Easter!
Padre
I have a 2015 Sierra 6’6” box and yes tailgate opens when hooked up and yes no problem with a cargo box. The rails mount the same place as other hitches. I use the rail mount Anderson ultimate hitch.
Greg and Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 11:42 AM   #6

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
We chose the rail version of the Anderson hitch because it takes up much less space in the bed of the truck. There is no way my trike was going to fit in the bed with the gooseneck version.

The rails are a little over an inch tall and we've have never had a problem using the bed with the hitch removed. The rails are rounded so lumber, etc. just skid right over the rails. There is theory and then there is actual application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
An alternative, if you want a gooseneck base mount but also want to have room for a toolbox, is the Demco Recon conventional hitch. It has a traditional hitch head but a pyramid base similar in concept to the Andersen base, so it is much less bulky than most conventional fifth wheel hitches. It's lighter also - 94 pounds, heavier than the Andersen but much lighter than other conventional hitches.
We've previously had a Reese 5th wheel hitch and it was a bear to remove. The Demco is 94 pounds? There is no way I want to remove a 94 pound hitch! The Andersen is only 35 pounds: that's 59 pounds lighter! Plus the Andersen gives you more useable space than the Demco.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 04-12-2020, 02:46 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
We chose the rail version of the Anderson hitch because it takes up much less space in the bed of the truck. There is no way my trike was going to fit in the bed with the gooseneck version.

The rails are a little over an inch tall and we've have never had a problem using the bed with the hitch removed. The rails are rounded so lumber, etc. just skid right over the rails. There is theory and then there is actual application.

We've previously had a Reese 5th wheel hitch and it was a bear to remove. The Demco is 94 pounds? There is no way I want to remove a 94 pound hitch! The Andersen is only 35 pounds: that's 59 pounds lighter! Plus the Andersen gives you more useable space than the Demco.

Enjoy,

Perry
👌 Yeah, what you said X2......
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 03:41 PM   #8

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Like other conventional fifth wheel hitches the Demco comes out in two parts, the head detaches from the base, so you don't have to lift the whole weight at once to remove it.

If someone doesn't mind having the rails, then certainly the rail mounted Andersen would be the way to go. I mentioned the Demco because it sounded like they preferred to have a removable gooseneck ball in the bed, and also wanted a toolbox in front of the hitch - the Gooseneck base for the Andersen wouldn't allow enough space for a toolbox.
Old 04-12-2020, 11:45 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA
2020 GMC Sierra w/6'6" box and Andersen gooseneck w/BuiltRight toolbox. 35# to put in and same to remove.

Not right to push 95# Demco. Toolbox is no problem w/either Demco or Andersen. 35# is quite a bit easier to handle!
PM15283 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.0 ta, anderson, tailgate, toolbox, ultimate