Anderson WDH vs. E2 WDH for bumper towing - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2019, 07:36 AM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Andersen WDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
As a retired licensed engineer, I think the current Andersen design is far better than the one I bought through ETI 5 years ago. Been through that same developmental process myself, so I'm sticking with my Andersen - I love the basic design. Some things take a while to perfect, and until enough copies are in customer hands for feedback over a few years the design will never be finalized.

They are completely replacing my 5 year old unit with the current design at no cost to me. Plus paying for the shipping! That's customer service.
Charlie Y,
I have the Andersen WDH 5 years old. I bought it in 2014. Would you please explain the difference between the new design comparing to the old design. What do you have to do to exchange it? Thank you.

Tonny LR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 10:50 AM   #22
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonny LR View Post
Charlie Y,
I have the Andersen WDH 5 years old. I bought it in 2014. Would you please explain the difference between the new design comparing to the old design. What do you have to do to exchange it? Thank you.

Tonny LR
I'll know for certain when the parts arrive tomorrow. I've read the cone angle is changed and there is a retainer plate/seal on the top. A new triangle plate design, too. I lifted this pic from the Oliver web site; it's a few months old.

Odd that Andersen doesn't have current product pics. I think you have to call them for the upgrade kit (rumored to be $100.)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8975.jpg  

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 12:30 PM   #23

Charlie,
Thank you for your picture. Wow, the new design looks very nice.

Tonny LR
Old 08-04-2019, 06:20 PM   #24

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
... We also used the Andersen Greaseless Ball with the Blue Ox for a clean towing experience, and felt the Blue Ox was worth the extra cost.

Enjoy,

Perry
Thanks for the info. Wouldn't you still want to grease the lower half of the ball, where the dog engages it? As one turns on curves and corners, that will still rub and wear.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 01:35 AM   #25

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougG View Post
I have no personal experience with the Anderson, but in doing my research, I saw that others expressed concern about premature wear of the friction cone on the Anderson.
There was an issue with an earlier version of the friction cone material, a short call to Anderson support line resolved the issue. Anderson sent out a New Friction Cone that took all of 5 min to replace ... hardest part was getting a ring clip pliers that was large enough to remove the clip.

the original material was showing issues after ~5K miles, we have since traveled 20K+ miles on the new material and there is very little sign of wear.

FTIW, the Old Material was Red the New is White

Regards,
David
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 07:37 AM   #26

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Thanks for the info. Wouldn't you still want to grease the lower half of the ball, where the dog engages it? As one turns on curves and corners, that will still rub and wear.
Never saw this as a problem. If there was wear it would have been minor. The hitch sits on the top half of the ball and the "dog" is there just to keep the hitch from jumping off. A small UHaul passed me yesterday with no weight on the tongue. It was popping up and down his entire trip. In that situation it might wear the ball.

The last time I greased a ball was our first popup and didn't care for the mess. After that I cleaned the ball and hitch with electrical contact cleaner to get rid of the dirty grease and let it swivel clean metal on clean metal. Worked for us. Can't say we ever saw excessive wear. We never greased a ball on the farm either.

I always figured that "if" we ever wore out a hitch we'd replace it with a Bulldog hitch and still not grease. It's just that the Andersen Greaseless Ball is so cheap, and made both me and the grease lovers happy.

As always, YMMV.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 08-14-2019, 12:39 PM   #27

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300
Smile Basic Towing for Newbies

By bumper towing I assume you mean a pick-up truck.

Here is a good source for towing information:

http://webcontent.goodsam.com/traile...wGuide2019.pdf
Old 08-14-2019, 03:40 PM   #28
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th Heaven View Post
There was an issue with an earlier version of the friction cone material, a short call to Anderson support line resolved the issue. Anderson sent out a New Friction Cone that took all of 5 min to replace ... hardest part was getting a ring clip pliers that was large enough to remove the clip.

the original material was showing issues after ~5K miles, we have since traveled 20K+ miles on the new material and there is very little sign of wear.

FTIW, the Old Material was Red the New is White

Regards,
David
Actually the material I received on 8/8 is blue

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:22 PM   #29
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I guess we've been fortunate with our Andersen hitch. Reace installed ours on pickup day in March of 2015, and we've had zero problems with it, no noticeable distortion on the urethane springs, no cone material extrusion, and no loud squeaks. Based solely on my experience with it, I like it.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:31 PM   #30

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
We had the Anderson on our 17B. It smoothed the ride out great. But it was a pain to hook up and unhook. Part of that was because we had a manual crank jack. After some months of continuous use it also developed an embarrassingly loud groan-squeal.

On our 19 we got the E2. Much easier and faster to put on or take off. Quiet. Doesn’t put weird forces on the ball like the Anderson setup.

Very happy with the E2. Would definitely get it again. And would definitely skip the Anderson.

Also, I recommend an electric tongue jack with either. There’s a lot of up down up down in both cases.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:53 PM   #31

Trailer: 2020 5.0 TA, 2018 F150 2.7 EB
Andersen - no grease

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
We tow our 2014 Escape 21 with a Toyota Highlander using an Anderson WDH. Prior to that, we towed an Escape 17 with a Toyota Sienna using a traditional WDH with trunion bars.

They both seem to work in so far as
a) they minimized the "sag" of the combined vehicle and kept weight on the front wheels
b) we have never had an issue with trailer sway even in 50 mph crosswinds going across I-80 in Wyoming.

The trunion bar hitch was a bit easier to hitch up -- just had to attach the bars and use the big lever to pull them up. With the Anderson, I have to screw on the nuts and count threads that are showing. So I definitely have to get down on my knees to do that. Both hitches require you to raise the hitched trailer in order to make the WDH connection.

With the Anderson, I try to have the tow vehicle at approximately the same angle as when I unhitch. It doesn't have to be exact, but it is just easier to get the nuts on both sides threaded correctly.

Once, on Prince Edward Island, I took a turn down the wrong road. I had to turn around in a fairly tight spot which required some backing and turning and more backing and turning. I hadn't removed the trunion bars, and was surprised when I heard a big "clunk" as one of them dropped off. I think it is easier to back and turn with the Anderson.

The Anderson seems marginally quieter than the WDH with the trunion bars. But I still use lithium grease on the ball. I strongly recommend lithium grease because it washes out of your pants better when you get grease from the ball on them.

I haven't looked at the newest version of the Anderson yet. So the friction material seems to be wearing well.

Leon, not sure about the earlier models but directions from my 2018 Andersen hitch: "DO NOT GREASE BALL OR COUPLER! (their emphasis) Since the ball and coupler move together,there is no friction that would create a need for grease, and any grease that works its way into the ball housing can decrease the anti-sway abilities of the Andersen WD Hitch." An excellent (and amazing) system.
LoonCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:50 PM   #32

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Everyone is commenting about the their good experiences with Anderson hitch and I just wanted to chime in about how well we have enjoyed our Equalizer Hitch towing our 19 for the last several years. We have never had any noise or swaying issues but every time I pickup the 100lb hitch unit from the garage floor to mount it in my Honda Pilot towing receiver I ask myself..what if
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:01 AM   #33

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, the Andersen sway works via the brake material surrounding the ball, thus lubricating the ball would take away its effectiveness.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:46 AM   #34

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I have been very happy with the E2 WDH for our 19ft trailer. Easy to use and effective. The trailer power jack makes it even easier to use. I would purchase the E2 again if there were a need (i.e. sold this one with the trailer or purchased a heavier trailer than required a more robust E2).

I have no experience with the Anderson so cannot comment pro or con.
New Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:18 PM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoonCall View Post
Leon, not sure about the earlier models but directions from my 2018 Andersen hitch: "DO NOT GREASE BALL OR COUPLER! (their emphasis) Since the ball and coupler move together,there is no friction that would create a need for grease, and any grease that works its way into the ball housing can decrease the anti-sway abilities of the Andersen WD Hitch." An excellent (and amazing) system.
I haven't greased the ball for quite a while. All that said, I had to tow the trailer a short distance last Monday, and, for whatever reason, there was an awful lot of groaning and creaking going on when I turned a corner. So much so that I stopped the vehicle and double-checked to make sure everything was hooked up correctly. it could be because the weather had turned suddenly colder. Or it could be some other reason. I know that Fudge Brownie had a similar problem. If it is still making this noise when we go on our winter trip, I will be strongly tempted to get a different sort of hitch...
Old 11-08-2019, 09:23 PM   #36

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
What is the problem with a bit of noise?
Could be worse. Could be Hip Hop music.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:12 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
As a retired licensed engineer, I think the current Andersen design is far better than the one I bought through ETI 5 years ago. Been through that same developmental process myself, so I'm sticking with my Andersen - I love the basic design. Some things take a while to perfect, and until enough copies are in customer hands for feedback over a few years the design will never be finalized.

They are completely replacing my 5 year old unit with the current design at no cost to me. Plus paying for the shipping! That's customer service.

After reading Tractor1's posting on this forum a few months ago, I called the customer service to ask for replacement for a nearly 6 years old Andersen WDH. They sent me a complete new set without me having to pay for postage. The new designed Andersen WDH works well.That is Excellent customer service.

Tonny LR
Old 11-09-2019, 08:34 AM   #38

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
I haven't greased the ball for quite a while. All that said, I had to tow the trailer a short distance last Monday, and, for whatever reason, there was an awful lot of groaning and creaking going on when I turned a corner. So much so that I stopped the vehicle and double-checked to make sure everything was hooked up correctly. it could be because the weather had turned suddenly colder. Or it could be some other reason. I know that Fudge Brownie had a similar problem. If it is still making this noise when we go on our winter trip, I will be strongly tempted to get a different sort of hitch...
Leon,

An email to Andersen which mentions excessive noise, will get you new components of your present hitch.

No begging involved. No cost, even for shipping.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6304.jpg  
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:28 AM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Thanks Bill.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:34 PM   #40

Bill,
I like the wire securing the WD Shackles to prevent shackles from coming loose. what a great idea. I will try to copy your creation. Thank you for posting.

Tonny LR