Any Hitch-up Hints and Techniques? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2017, 11:06 PM   #21

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I do kind of what Donna describes (not both mirrors but rear-view mirror and I know what the center of the trailer and car are. Then just trial and error to get back far enough. A camera would be nice but not essential. If I have a helper all I want is to know how far I am from the ball.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:13 PM   #22
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Once you unhitch, prior to moving the tow, take a picture of the scene in the rear view camera display. Save it and pull it out to view next time you hitch up. After a few repeats you'll know where to stop when hitching up.

When unhitching, if level enough, once the trailer is chocked - put the tow in neutral instead of park. Lets the ball release every time if the tow can move around a tad without a hammer/screwdriver/lever.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:34 AM   #23

Trailer: 2008 Casita '16 Liberty
I use these, they have never failed to get me aligned, without hassles or
bent metal. The perfect tools for task, no need for assistance.

https://www.amazon.com/Hitchin-Rods-...s=Hitchin+Rods
burnauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:16 AM   #24

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot TF20 DLX Fifth Wheel
hitching assistance

I have been using a very low tech method to hitch up the gooseneck of my horse trailer. I found an aluminum arrow shaft laying on the ground in the park and used this as a guide that I can lay in the grooves of my tailgate to direct me for alignment. The arrow doesn't help with telling me when to stop because I can't see the ball when my tool box is in the way, but it does get me lined up every time. I like the tennis ball idea for the fifth wheel hitching and will probably buy this option when the time comes. I like that it's low tech and will work almost any time and that the cab lights of the truck will illuminate the balls if I have to hitch in the dark.

I was looking at the backup cameras like the IBall but the tennis balls are way cheaper, like me, and work very well. The back up camera on my 2012 Tundra would work if I was hitching a tag-a-long bumper pull rig, but not so good with the fiver.
TheWanderers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:05 AM   #25

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by jking1224 View Post
As to the problem of hitting a too low trailer front end, I have bought, yet to install in my yet to be delivered 21, the “LevelMatePro”. One of the features of this device is when you raise the trailer to lift off the ball, you can “save” that non-level, nose up height in the smartphone app. Then later, after you have leveled, camped, explored, stored, etc. you come back to hook up, you can raise the front end to that prior “saved” height and you know you are high enough to clear.
Or you can take the inexpensive route and cut an inexpensive strip of wood and make a gauge the first time you raise the trailer off the ball. That's actually quicker than opening up an app on the phone and not subject to "electronic gremlins."

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnauk View Post
I use these, they have never failed to get me aligned, without hassles or
bent metal. The perfect tools for task, no need for assistance.

https://www.amazon.com/Hitchin-Rods-...s=Hitchin+Rods
I used these things to hook up my bumper pull trailers and I now use them on my 5th Wheel. These are great devices?
Old 10-10-2017, 11:57 AM   #26

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Or you can take the inexpensive route and cut an inexpensive strip of wood and make a gauge the first time you raise the trailer off the ball. That's actually quicker than opening up an app on the phone and not subject to "electronic gremlins."...
Or a simpler approach would be to paint or tape a line around the perimeter of the leveling leg on the trailer jack, just at the location where the leg is extended enough for the coupler to clear the ball on your hitch. When the line is visible you know you have adequate clearance. (of course, if you normally use a block of wood below the jack foot, you should also have the block in place when painting your line)

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:41 PM   #27

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
With regards to trailer hitch elevation vs the TV ball - I use an "anatomical" measuring device. I check the height of the ball against my leg and then check that against the trailer hitch.
46indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:16 PM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I have a tape measure on my keychain for making sure the trailer tongue is high enough to clear the hitch ball.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote