Anyone Switch from P/SL to LT Tires on Tow Vehicle? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-22-2022, 02:30 PM   #1
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Anyone Switch from P/SL to LT Tires on Tow Vehicle?

It's time to replace our tow vehicle tires and wondered if anyone here has switched from their original P/SL rated tires to LT tires on their tow vehicle? If so how do you like them? And what tire pressure do you use for your LT tires? My apologies if this has already been discussed. Feel free to direct me to any links on this!

We have a 2017 Ford Expedition that came with Goodyear Wrangler Fortitude HT tires, size 275 /65 R18 116T SL. They have held up well and only have 39K on them but they are 6 years old... The only down side is that they seem to be a bit soft when towing and after reading on the Expedition Forum, I now realize I could have increased the PSI from 35 to 40 or so when towing. Oh well... The max pressure is 51 PSI for our current tires but the sticker on the door says to run at 35 so that's what we did.

We are thinking of replacing those tires with some Michelin Defenders LTX M/S but with a LT/E1 tire this time since we primarily tow with this vehicle. They are not cheap but they are very highly rated. I realize the ride might be a bit harsher with LT tires but I'd rather have good strong tires for towing - especially for that Alaska trip someday! Also need to get a full size spare so thinking of splurging and getting 5??

The max pressure on the Michelin LT tires we are looking at is 80 PSI but I realize that would be rock hard and way overkill for us. Seems like many like to run these tires at about 50-60 PSI on those tires on an Expy. Anyone here have experience with this?

I've also been impressed with the metal valve stems on our Escape tires so I'd like to upgrade our TV tire stems to metal ones, as well but need to get the metal valves with the sensors for the TV. This is what we currently have: https://www.tpms.com/Ford-OE-Schrade...e8t1a180aa.htm Thinking of getting something like this https://www.amazon.com/FINDAUTO-Repl...NsaWNrPXRydWU= but not crazy about the ratings.

Thanks in advance for any advice! Always appreciate the wisdom and knowledge from so many here! -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 03:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 2022 E19
The Michelin LT tires are excellent. In 350 K I've had 2 sets on my Tundra and just recently put the 3rd set on (Defenders). They performed really well in snow this winter (not likely a concern for you!) and they ride/handle well.
50 - 60 psi sounds stiff to me. I've always run mine at 35 psi, although I have yet to tow anything with it.
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 03:48 PM   #3

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
I had a set of Michelin LTX on my past Tundra and I traded it in with 92,000 miles on those tires.

When I need new tires for my 2016 F-150 it will be these.

They are pricey for a reason.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 06:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
I've been very pleased with the dry and wet-weather (I do not drive in snow) performance of the Michelin Defender LTX M/S on my F150. They wear well but traction, especially wet, is more important than longevity for me.

The tire max psi for my 235/70R17 is 50psi but I run them at the truck-placard 38psi when fully loaded and towing; that yields even wear across the tread.

One note - they are noisier on many pavements than some others - it's noticeable but not objectionable to me.
Old 03-22-2022, 08:13 PM   #5

Trailer: 21
I’ve been using the LTX for the past 14 yrs on all my vehicles. Love the way the grip n hold in the rain and they do decent in snow n ice. You can’t go wrong as far as I’m concerned. I’ve always gotten 60K plus on every set
Old 03-22-2022, 10:31 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
I had a set of Michelin LTX on my past Tundra and I traded it in with 92,000 miles on those tires.

When I need new tires for my 2016 F-150 it will be these.

They are pricey for a reason.

I had them on a E250, 0ver 80K on them. Towing a horse trailer up & down from MA to FL.
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 08:50 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
The Michelin LT tires are excellent. In 350 K I've had 2 sets on my Tundra and just recently put the 3rd set on (Defenders). They performed really well in snow this winter (not likely a concern for you!) and they ride/handle well.
50 - 60 psi sounds stiff to me. I've always run mine at 35 psi, although I have yet to tow anything with it.
Same here....great tires. I do switch them out in the winter for real snow tires but that is because I live in the mountains and gotta get to where I am going at all hours.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 09:42 AM   #8

Trailer: 2022 E19
I have the Defender LTX P 275/65r18 on my F-150. I did not get the E rated LT version because the vast majority of my miles do not involve towing, when I do tow the weights are not at the high end of the truck's rated limits, my hauling is within the 1/2 ton load capacity of the truck (with 3/4 ton + common advice is get the LT), and the ride is more comfortable.

It will be beneficial for handling, comfort, and tire life for both P and LT tires if you adjust your pressure around towing.
BPBloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 03:01 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
This isn't a criticism of the tires, just an observation...
In most sizes, the Michelin LTX M/S2 and Defender LTX M/S are not LT tires. They are intended for light trucks and SUVs, but they follow ETRO general-purpose standards or TRA P ("Passenger vehicle") standards, rather than TRA Light Truck standards. Read the sidewall for confirmation: no "LT" in front of the size means not Light Truck standard ("P" is Passenger and nothing is Euro standard).

In 275/65R18 size, the Standard Load version of the Michelin LTX M/S is a Euro-standard tire, but the Load Range E version with the same "Michelin LTX M/S" branding is an LT tire. They're probably very similar in construction, but they're not the same tire.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 04:31 PM   #10

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
Bea, I don't have an expedition but they used to be akin to an F250 in terms of payload. You could run E-Rated tires for sure, probably at the stated pressure of @60lbs. However, unladen you will lose some mpg (maybe 1-2) and your ride will be stiffer (which may not be an issue if its already stiff...or extremely soft). My own opinion is that they are overkill for towing a 21C and would suggest a C or maybe a D rated tire if available. On the plus, side, they will wear like steel, be extremely stable, and you will be less likely to get a flat.

I wouldn't run them on my F-150 because they would be too hard, very heavy, and the 21 isn't long or heavy enough to warrant their capabilities. On other half-ton forums, it's folks who are towing 30-35ft rigs that weigh 8-9K that seem to think they're worth it for the added stability. I would personally switch to a C-rated tire when next I need them but those seem less common these days since passenger tires can be bought with pretty much the same weight capacities. Can't go wrong with your brand choice, either. Good luck with your shopping.
JeffinBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 07:56 PM   #11

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Bea,
We have those exact Michelins on our Ford F-150 and tow our 21NE. It is a very nice ride. We keep them at 35 PSI as that is what is on the door sticker.
kathytony1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 01:17 AM   #12
Bea

Hello all,
Fender, Wow, on a 3rd set of Michelin LT Tires?! Nice!! Running at 35PSI on a Tundra is good to know.

Hi Willy, Another loyal Michelin vote! Yes, I can see why they are pricey, too! (*Sigh...)

Hi Alan, Nice to hear you're pleased with them, too. If your max PSI is 50, then I assume you have the SL range and not the E (LT) range? Traction is more important to me, too. And I don't think the slight increase in noise would bother me much either. Thanks.

Hi Rocked, 60K....Awesome!

Hi Chasing Trails, 80K...Sweet!

HI Ian & Sue, Totally understand! We don't need to trade out for 'real' snow tires where we live, but we have woken up to the occasional surprise summer snow storms while camping in the High Sierras! But it melts quick so really more wet stuff than snow...

Hi BPBloss, Really appreciate your sharing why you did not get the E rated tires. Makes sense why you chose the P or SL rated tires and nice to hear that you still enjoy towing with them. Adjusting the PSI for towing really does seem to be the key...an art I have yet to perfect....

Hi Brian, Yup, I hear you! And this is my dilemma...do I go with the standard load version or the load range E (LT) version? One day I lean one way, the next day, I lean the other.. So interesting to see the tally marks on both sides (load ranges) even here in our little Escape world!

Hi JeffinBC, Very good to hear your opinion here since this is exactly my concern for going with an E rated tire, is it really overkill?? ....Maybe I need to look for a C or D rating instead. Hummm The quest continues....

Hi Kathy, Thanks for sharing. I assume your tires are not LT tires? If they are LT tires it would have 'LT' in front of the tire size. Either way, nice to hear you are happy with them.

Thanks again, everyone for taking the time to share your experiences, opinions and advice and what you have and do. Much appreciated!!! -Bea
Old 03-24-2022, 08:14 AM   #13

Trailer: 2021 21C
Bea-

I have, in the past, had a set of Michelin LTX and was very pleased with the long life of the tire. They were not LT rated.

I do run LT tires on my F-150. For me it is more about the tire roll I would get with the P tires that were OE from the factory. The steering is more responsive with the harder side wall of the LT tires. Yes they do make it a stiffer ride, but for me it makes for a more predictable steering response especially with a trailer in tow.

When I do tow I air up the rear tires to about 45 to compensate for the load.

Ryan
Ryanb-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 08:38 AM   #14

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
Hello all,
Fender, Wow, on a 3rd set of Michelin LT Tires?! Nice!! Running at 35PSI on a Tundra is good to know.

Hi Willy, Another loyal Michelin vote! Yes, I can see why they are pricey, too! (*Sigh...)

Hi Alan, Nice to hear you're pleased with them, too. If your max PSI is 50, then I assume you have the SL range and not the E (LT) range? Traction is more important to me, too. And I don't think the slight increase in noise would bother me much either. Thanks.

Hi Rocked, 60K....Awesome!

Hi Chasing Trails, 80K...Sweet!

HI Ian & Sue, Totally understand! We don't need to trade out for 'real' snow tires where we live, but we have woken up to the occasional surprise summer snow storms while camping in the High Sierras! But it melts quick so really more wet stuff than snow...

Hi BPBloss, Really appreciate your sharing why you did not get the E rated tires. Makes sense why you chose the P or SL rated tires and nice to hear that you still enjoy towing with them. Adjusting the PSI for towing really does seem to be the key...an art I have yet to perfect....

Hi Brian, Yup, I hear you! And this is my dilemma...do I go with the standard load version or the load range E (LT) version? One day I lean one way, the next day, I lean the other.. So interesting to see the tally marks on both sides (load ranges) even here in our little Escape world!

Hi JeffinBC, Very good to hear your opinion here since this is exactly my concern for going with an E rated tire, is it really overkill?? ....Maybe I need to look for a C or D rating instead. Hummm The quest continues....

Hi Kathy, Thanks for sharing. I assume your tires are not LT tires? If they are LT tires it would have 'LT' in front of the tire size. Either way, nice to hear you are happy with them.

Thanks again, everyone for taking the time to share your experiences, opinions and advice and what you have and do. Much appreciated!!! -Bea
They are LT tires. :-)
kathytony1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 01:05 PM   #15
Bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathytony1985 View Post
They are LT tires. :-)
Thank you Kathy!
Old 03-24-2022, 01:22 PM   #16
Bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanb-72 View Post
Bea-

I have, in the past, had a set of Michelin LTX and was very pleased with the long life of the tire. They were not LT rated.

I do run LT tires on my F-150. For me it is more about the tire roll I would get with the P tires that were OE from the factory. The steering is more responsive with the harder side wall of the LT tires. Yes they do make it a stiffer ride, but for me it makes for a more predictable steering response especially with a trailer in tow.

When I do tow I air up the rear tires to about 45 to compensate for the load.

Ryan
Hi Ryan, Great info! Your 'tire roll' comments are exactly what I think I'm experiencing and what's pushing me to try out a set of LT tires. A little more responsive steering would be very nice and if it means a stiffer ride, might be an acceptable compromise. Thanks so much. -Bea
Old 03-24-2022, 05:44 PM   #17

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffinBC View Post
Bea, I don't have an expedition but they used to be akin to an F250 in terms of payload.
The old Excursion would have been comparable to an F-150, but an Expedition is comparable to an F-150... that's a significant weight and payload difference.

Anyway, suiting the tire to the actual maximum load, and not to a load that the tire will never see, makes sense to me.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 06:29 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
My tow vehicle is a 2013 Toyota Tacoma with more than 250,000 miles on it. I am on my third set of Michelin LTX tires and am pleased with them. Have some data:

Mileage Date

65025 9/30/15 Factory tires (bald) replaced with Michelins
135834 12/08/17 Tires replaced with new Michelins
230434 7/02/21 Tires replaced with new Michelins

I run them at the PSI on the truck's sticker. My only problem was a ruined tire caused by a screwdriver handle that stuck through it. The replacement for it is now my spare. The diameter of the Michelins is apparently slightly off from the factory tires, giving me a 3% degradation in odometer accuracy. That's okay.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 09:07 AM   #19

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The old Excursion would have been comparable to an F-150, but an Expedition is comparable to an F-150... that's a significant weight and payload difference.

Anyway, suiting the tire to the actual maximum load, and not to a load that the tire will never see, makes sense to me.
That’s right. Got my ex’s confused 😉
JeffinBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 09:34 AM   #20

Trailer: 2023 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
My tow vehicle is a 2013 Toyota Tacoma with more than 250,000 miles on it. I am on my third set of Michelin LTX tires and am pleased with them.
Are your Michelin's LT rated? If so, what size?

I've been running Defender LTX tires on my 2014 Tacoma (with the TRD off-road package) in the factory P265/70R16 size. I would like to upgrade to an LT version of the same tire once I start towing.....but have been unable to find any Michelin product in this size.
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote