Anyone towing 5.0 with Ford Ranger Supercab? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2021, 04:01 PM   #41

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
I'm curious to hear how Ranger owners feel about the auto start/stop feature. I like what I hear about the truck but I'm worried that would drive me crazy!
You can buy devices to disable it, or do a wiring mod at the switch. It is off in tow/haul mode. I have permanently turned mine off. It seems fine for a car, I have relatives with it, but I use my Ranger as a truck, so I bypassed it.
Old 11-20-2021, 04:28 PM   #42

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
You can buy devices to disable it, or do a wiring mod at the switch. It is off in tow/haul mode. I have permanently turned mine off. It seems fine for a car, I have relatives with it, but I use my Ranger as a truck, so I bypassed it.
When a vehicle comes to a stop, and the engine could be shut down to save fuel, why does it matter whether the vehicle is being used for passengers (as "a car") or for cargo ("as a truck")? And if Auto Stop/Start is off when in Tow/Haul mode, and Tow/Haul mode is used if the vehicle is being used as a truck (towing or hauling), then why modify it to disable a mode that isn't active?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 04:49 PM   #43

It doesn’t matter so much, but it’s almost always in tow/haul, and I find it annoying in town because I forget to turn it off since it’s seldom on. So, I just shut it off.
Old 01-25-2023, 09:18 PM   #44

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
A simple led nightlight plugged in to the 110 socket will disable the feature.
Old 01-25-2023, 09:46 PM   #45

Yep, if you have the 110, that’s one way to do it. The Ranger5g forum has all kinds of ways to mod the truck. Mine is basically stock, but I did kill the ASS.
Old 01-25-2023, 10:26 PM   #46
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
When a vehicle comes to a stop, and the engine could be shut down to save fuel, why does it matter whether the vehicle is being used for passengers (as "a car") or for cargo ("as a truck")? And if Auto Stop/Start is off when in Tow/Haul mode, and Tow/Haul mode is used if the vehicle is being used as a truck (towing or hauling), then why modify it to disable a mode that isn't active?
10x or more start cycles per drive == 1/10th the starter lifetime. I dunno about those, but many new cars, replacing the starter motor is a major project.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 10:48 PM   #47

I just find ASS annoying, so I killed it no matter what mode the tranny is in. Nothing more to it than that.
Old 01-31-2023, 03:48 PM   #48

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
10x or more start cycles per drive == 1/10th the starter lifetime. I dunno about those, but many new cars, replacing the starter motor is a major project.
Sure, but that has nothing to do with whether the vehicle is a car or a truck, which was my comment.

Some vehicles with auto stop-start have different starters, particularly those which are hybrids or even mild hybrids. The motors used in hybrids don't even have brushes to wear out.

I have only had to replace the starter in one vehicle, because they last over 200,000 km in normal use (but not that one in the Chevy pickup, because that thing was a rolling pile of...). Even in the Tercel, where I had to change the starter solenoid contacts, I didn't have to replace the starter - just replace the contacts. The Tercel was easy, but I realize that's often not the case (the Chevy pickup was a real pain).

With more frequent starting, a replacement (with a rebuilt) once per decade should probably be expected.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 04:15 PM   #49
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
yeah, a true hybrid, like a Prius, is an entirely different beast, where the electromotive motor doubles as the starter.

eco start/stop on a non-hybrid is problematic, because they almost certainly have a conventional starter, which has a lifetime of starting the car so many 1000 times. I just had to replace the starter in my truck, at 260,000 miles and 20 years it conked out, but thats not a eco-stop/start vehicle, its a diesel. being a big diesel, its a big starter motor, 2-3X heavier than the last one I replaced in a 6 cyl car.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 04:43 PM   #50

Trailer: 2022 E19
Looks as if the auto start/stop is a non-issue. I have ordered a 2023 Ranger and it is currently "in production".
I've been informed that the auto start/stop feature is not available and Ford has credited me a whopping $60!
My sense of it is that it is a parts issue, not a deletion of the feature.
Suits me just fine to be honest!
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 07:03 PM   #51

The Ranger5g forum list all kinds of things that have been deleted since 2019 from the truck. I really like how mine tows my E19.
Old 01-31-2023, 09:08 PM   #52
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
Looks as if the auto start/stop is a non-issue. I have ordered a 2023 Ranger and it is currently "in production".
I've been informed that the auto start/stop feature is not available and Ford has credited me a whopping $60!
My sense of it is that it is a parts issue, not a deletion of the feature.
Suits me just fine to be honest!
Same thing for our '22 F150. Auto Start/Stop was deleted and credited because of a chip shortage we were told. However we can start and stop from our phone.
SageRpod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 10:56 AM   #53

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post

eco start/stop on a non-hybrid is problematic, because they almost certainly have a conventional starter, which has a lifetime of starting the car so many 1000 times.
According to Ford, they use a heavy duty starter and battery with auto start/stop.
"Your vehicle is equipped with a heavy-duty starter and battery to help compensate for a high number of starts and stops."

Since the engine has already been bought up to operating temperatures and certain parameters have to be met before auto start/stop kicks in, the drain on the starter and battery are not anywhere close to the demands of a cold start.

I'm one of those that like the auto start/stop, I wish my Dakota had it, since I hate watching the MPG numbers continue to decline as I sit at traffic lights going nowhere, but consuming gas.

I have the auto start/stop in both my Ranger and Durango. Either one pulls my 19' Escape with ease, with about the same MPG, although I like hauling with the Ranger a little bit better.
Old 02-01-2023, 02:06 PM   #54

The 2019+ Rangers use an AGM battery with a smart charging regimen.