Anyone towing 5.0 with Ford Ranger Supercab? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-31-2021, 06:21 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Nanaimo, British Columbia
Trailer: 5.0 on order! ETA Jan 2024!
Posts: 32
Anyone towing 5.0 with Ford Ranger Supercab?

This looks an interesting option, and reasonable cost as well.

Supercab Ranger, 6ft bed, towing specs are 7500lb towing, with 1650lb payload when properly spec'd. Am I missing something obvious....?

Anyone towing a 5.0. with this Ranger I wonder?
__________________

BritCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 04:01 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Saint Helena Island, South Carolina
Trailer: 2011 Chalet TS 116 Truck Camper
Posts: 43
Glad you asked this. I was wondering about the Ranger for the 21C. Given that GVWR on the 21C weighs less than the 5.0, I figure if it works for the 5.0 it would be equally good for the 21C.
Hoping someone answers your question…
__________________

Leemom3@verizon.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 04:17 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Dallas, Texas
Trailer: Lurking
Posts: 160
This has been talked about in the past. You'd do good to start at this thread and ask questions from there.
Chamberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 03:49 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Doug2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: London, Ontario
Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Posts: 1,075
The numbers are marginal. I expect after a season you'll have a F150. I have noticed a few members that had Tacomas now have full size trucks.

Would I use a Ranger to tow a Bobcat or boat to the beach? Sure, but a trip cross country will likely kill a Ranger.
__________________
2020 Escape 19, AKA The Escape Pod 2
Trailer #6 was a 2007 Escape 17B
2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4X4 DC Silver
Following TravellingRobert on Youtube
Doug2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 06:42 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
brroberts's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Overbrook, Kansas
Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Posts: 1,350
My Ranger has 1828lbs payload, and 7500lbs towing with 310ft/lbs of torque at 3000rpm. A cross country trip will not kill a Ranger. I didnít want a 5.0, but if I could find a hitch I liked, would not hesitate to tow an Escape 5.
__________________
Randy & Barb
1998 C 2500 (Cruncher) and 2021 Ranger (Yoda)
brroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 06:42 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 14,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
... a trip cross country will likely kill a Ranger.
What part of the Ranger do you expect to die? The engine which is only 15% smaller and built with the same technology as the 2.7L EcoBoost in an F-150? The same 10R80 transmission which is in the F-150? The frame, suspension, wheels, or tires which would be loaded within their rated capacity?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 08:49 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Greeneville, Tennessee
Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Posts: 225
We have towed our 5.0 extensively with our Ranger. However, this truck was totaled in a collision (not towing at the time). We have ordered a new one, and have never felt that more truck was in order. My brother tows an Airstream with his and is likely near max towing weight. I would not be comfortable doing this myself, but he has towed in excess of 25K miles with zero problems.

I will say this, anyone who thinks a Ranger is not an adequate towing vehicle (within the towing specs) has not worked on one or experienced that truck's capability first hand.
__________________
Knowledge is acquired through experience and reason
Tom&Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 09:23 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Nanaimo, British Columbia
Trailer: 5.0 on order! ETA Jan 2024!
Posts: 32
Deleted, put my comments in the post below.
BritCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 09:25 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Nanaimo, British Columbia
Trailer: 5.0 on order! ETA Jan 2024!
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom&Joan View Post
We have towed our 5.0 extensively with our Ranger. However, this truck was totaled in a collision (not towing at the time). We have ordered a new one, and have never felt that more truck was in order. My brother tows an Airstream with his and is likely near max towing weight. I would not be comfortable doing this myself, but he has towed in excess of 25K miles with zero problems.

I will say this, anyone who thinks a Ranger is not an adequate towing vehicle (within the towing specs) has not worked on one or experienced that truck's capability first hand.
Thanks for this. Can you confirm your model and payload? Also what hitch are you using? My 2 concerns are fuel tank size and personal comfort over long drives, i.e. seat comfort?
BritCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 09:28 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Nanaimo, British Columbia
Trailer: 5.0 on order! ETA Jan 2024!
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
My Ranger has 1828lbs payload, and 7500lbs towing with 310ft/lbs of torque at 3000rpm. A cross country trip will not kill a Ranger. I didnít want a 5.0, but if I could find a hitch I liked, would not hesitate to tow an Escape 5.
HmmmÖ.1828lbs payload? I think the max possible is 1650lb?
BritCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 10:09 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 14,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritCanuck View Post
Hmmm….1828lbs payload? I think the max possible is 1650lb?
The current online specs show 1650 lb (748 kg) as the maximum possible, and that would only be for a SuperCab with no options. It's possible that Ford's website payload specs are for the 4X4 (although they don't say that) and the 4X2 has higher payload due to lower weight and the same GVWR.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 11:15 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
brroberts's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Overbrook, Kansas
Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Posts: 1,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritCanuck View Post
HmmmÖ.1828lbs payload? I think the max possible is 1650lb?
1650 for screw 4x4. 1860 for scab 2wd XL.

I have a scab 2wd XLT. Canít take a picture of the sticker right now, but will in the future if you need it.
__________________
Randy & Barb
1998 C 2500 (Cruncher) and 2021 Ranger (Yoda)
brroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 11:28 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Nanaimo, British Columbia
Trailer: 5.0 on order! ETA Jan 2024!
Posts: 32
Thanks.

Just had a quick look at the Ford configurator and the 2x4 option isn’t available now. Or at least in Canada is isn’t.
BritCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 01:31 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Doug2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: London, Ontario
Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Posts: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
What part of the Ranger do you expect to die? The engine which is only 15% smaller and built with the same technology as the 2.7L EcoBoost in an F-150? The same 10R80 transmission which is in the F-150? The frame, suspension, wheels, or tires which would be loaded within their rated capacity?
I don't wish to debate manufactures, but being a forum member since 2016, I have noticed many members starting out with midsize trucks and SUV's and end up with F150's.

Personally, crossing I70 west of Denver how hard a push it was compared to what I was used to around the great lakes at 800' above sea level.
__________________
2020 Escape 19, AKA The Escape Pod 2
Trailer #6 was a 2007 Escape 17B
2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4X4 DC Silver
Following TravellingRobert on Youtube
Doug2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 08:19 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
brroberts's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Overbrook, Kansas
Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Posts: 1,350
Doug it really depends on the midsized truck. They are not all the same. They certainly are not what they were even 3-5 years ago. My 1998 3/4 ton 5.7l makes 255 hp and 330 ft lbs of torque. Iíve never strained it, and no one has ever said you need more truck for a 20í trailer. The Ranger makes almost as much torque at almost the same RPM. The 98 is rated to tow 8500lbs, the Ranger 7500. The Ranger makes more HP and will lose less at altitude with the turbo. Granted, the 3/4 ton will carry twice what the Ranger will, but 1800lbs of payload is plenty for what I am asking of it. The Ranger is 4 wheel disc brakes and the 3/4 is disc and drum, although with 16Ē tires it does have bigger brakes than the Ranger with 17Ē tires. The mileage is better in the Ranger, but the range is less. Thatís the biggest drawback - small fuel tank. The smaller truck is easier to drive in unfamiliar cities on trips. As far as comfort, the Ranger has all kinds of things not available in the 98 and Iíve not been uncomfortable in the 98. Iím keeping the 98 because sometimes I need an 8í bed and 4000lbs of payload, but will travel in the Ranger. Some people might want an F150; that is correct, but some people really no longer want a full size truck given the price and size. Iím one of them. If I didnít already have an 8í bed and large payload, Iíd get a 250/2500 of some kind because a 150/1500 wouldnít be enough payload. So I have a Ranger, not a new 250, because it will be better in many ways for less than a 250, and really will tow an Escape through Colorado just fine.

I understand the concern from years past, but 150ís and midsize have both changed over the years. Our 70 Datsun would carry 3000lbs, our 3/4 ton 73 Suburban would not, but that Datsun couldnít pull a trailer. The Suburban with a 350ci making less HP and torque than my 98 had no problem. So it depends. I donít want any current full size truck. Obviously you do. Itís fine either way as long as you go safely.
__________________
Randy & Barb
1998 C 2500 (Cruncher) and 2021 Ranger (Yoda)
brroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 08:36 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Kent, Ohio
Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Posts: 1,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
Doug it really depends on the midsized truck. They are not all the same. They certainly are not what they were even 3-5 years ago. My 1998 3/4 ton 5.7l makes 255 hp and 330 ft lbs of torque. Iíve never strained it, and no one has ever said you need more truck for a 20í trailer. The Ranger makes almost as much torque at almost the same RPM. The 98 is rated to tow 8500lbs, the Ranger 7500. The Ranger makes more HP and will lose less at altitude with the turbo. Granted, the 3/4 ton will carry twice what the Ranger will, but 1800lbs of payload is plenty for what I am asking of it. The Ranger is 4 wheel disc brakes and the 3/4 is disc and drum, although with 16Ē tires it does have bigger brakes than the Ranger with 17Ē tires. The mileage is better in the Ranger, but the range is less. Thatís the biggest drawback - small fuel tank. The smaller truck is easier to drive in unfamiliar cities on trips. As far as comfort, the Ranger has all kinds of things not available in the 98 and Iíve not been uncomfortable in the 98. Iím keeping the 98 because sometimes I need an 8í bed and 4000lbs of payload, but will travel in the Ranger. Some people might want an F150; that is correct, but some people really no longer want a full size truck given the price and size. Iím one of them. If I didnít already have an 8í bed and large payload, Iíd get a 250/2500 of some kind because a 150/1500 wouldnít be enough payload. So I have a Ranger, not a new 250, because it will be better in many ways for less than a 250, and really will tow an Escape through Colorado just fine.

I understand the concern from years past, but 150ís and midsize have both changed over the years. Our 70 Datsun would carry 3000lbs, our 3/4 ton 73 Suburban would not, but that Datsun couldnít pull a trailer. The Suburban with a 350ci making less HP and torque than my 98 had no problem. So it depends. I donít want any current full size truck. Obviously you do. Itís fine either way as long as you go safely.
Before we decided to go with the new trailer we looked at the ranger, it would have towed the 21 just fine. Our new trailer will be heavier . Thereís also the people who insist that they have to have a v8 versus a turbocharged 6, ala the new tundra. Tech marches on. Any truck needs rigorous maintenance, turbos need the oil changed more frequently in my option. If I had the money Iíd probably get a new tundra, however that would cost the same as my trailer . My other buddy has a Ranger and loves it. If the f150 struggles too much Iíll look for an older f250. I donít want the maintenance of a diesel. Itís interesting your ranger has the same horsepower., Torque and payload as my 2004 f-150.

My go to has always been to tow slow, 62 to 65. I suspect Iíll be fine, I also suspect your Ranger tows the 19 easily.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 09:01 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Centex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: East of Austin, Texas
Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Posts: 2,236
No dog in this hunt but one often overlooked manufacturer recommendation ('towing specification', if you will) is the maximum fontal area per SAE J2807 found in Ford's RV & Trailer Towing Guides. That criteria relates of course to the considerable effect of wind-resistance which increases exponentially with speed, representing a significant part of the load on the engine and drivetrain when towing on the highway in particular.

For the current generation of properly-equipped Rangers that J2807 frontal area max is 55 sq. ft.; by comparison, for a properly-equipped F150 it's 75 sq. ft. for '5th wheel' trailers; the former is considerably below the frontal area of an Escape 5.0 in tow, the latter is approximately on-target.

Just FYI, carry on ....
__________________
Alan E.
2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 Supercab 6.5' box / Centex's 2021 5.0 Modifications
Centex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 10:36 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
brroberts's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Overbrook, Kansas
Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Posts: 1,350
I do understand frontal area, and it does make a difference. I think a current Ranger can tow an Escape 5, but for large trailers you do need a larger truck.

Some F150 configurations which allow max payload (3200lbs) are close to older 3/4 ton trucks. In my case, Iíd have to go to a 250 for payload, but not everyone needs that. As to towing a Bigfoot, that 7,500lbs would make me want a 150/1500 with good payload and towing or a 250 if you started cutting into those numbers. Iíd personally want numbers of at least 2500 / 10,500. Not everyone feels that way, but it goes directly back to the comfort that Doug brought up in his posts.

Iím sure you will make a choice that works for you, and will have fun adventures.
__________________
Randy & Barb
1998 C 2500 (Cruncher) and 2021 Ranger (Yoda)
brroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 10:41 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Kent, Ohio
Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Posts: 1,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
I do understand frontal area, and it does make a difference. I think a current Ranger can tow an Escape 5, but for large trailers you do need a larger truck.

Some F150 configurations which allow max payload (3200lbs) are close to older 3/4 ton trucks. In my case, Iíd have to go to a 250 for payload, but not everyone needs that. As to towing a Bigfoot, that 7,500lbs would make me want a 150/1500 with good payload and towing or a 250 if you started cutting into those numbers. Iíd personally want numbers of at least 2500 / 10,500. Not everyone feels that way, but it goes directly back to the comfort that Doug brought up in his posts.

Iím sure you will make a choice that works for you, and will have fun adventures.
The Bigfoot dry weight is 4800 lbs, I expect it will weight 6500 with tongue of around 800
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 11:38 AM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: santa barbara ca 93103, California
Trailer: 2017 19" Escape
Posts: 71
I'm not sure if I would feel good about towing a 5.0 with a Ford Ranger. However I love towing my 19 with my 2021 XLT FX4, its like it not even behind me. Love the torque and gas mileage with the eco boost!
__________________

lonewolfjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2023 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×