Anyone towing with a Lexus GX 460? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-27-2017, 02:49 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Lightbulb

new updates -

Just test drove a 2017 Toyota Sequoia

It had lots of torque and "grunt" but I'm pretty sure it is too big for my better half (my wife) to approve of.

The Lexus GX 460 is smaller, yet still has a 6,500 capacity, as stock, plus about a 700 lb tongue weight capacity. (The owners manual is vague, but I called Lexus, and between us we could sort of figure out around 700 lbs. They dont publish an exact #)

Have not test driven the GX 460 yet... it is next.

Plus my wife wants a really nice interior and exterior look, and the Lexus would do that, at least in her opinions.

The new Nissan Armada is too big.

The Dodge Durango is also a consideration... AZ Jack loves his, tows their 21' with it, and he's both smart and fussy. I mean that as a compliment.

I bet the Lexus interior is nicer than the Dodge, in the eyes of my wife.

I really dislike the barn door (rear) on the GX 460, but maybe they'll eventually change that.

John
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:22 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
The GX is built on the same platform as the 4Runner so it will have many of the similarities, plus being quite a bit smaller than the Sequoia. I had the luxury of having a V8 4Runner, it was a great tow for the Escape 19. Not available with a V8 any more, the sixes are still very capable tow vehicles.

When an Escape 21 came into my life I was a bit hesitant with the 4Runner, the wider wheel base and width of the Sequoia appealed to me. That was a 2007 model, since stepping up to the 2012 Sequoia model - it is huge. My wife does drive it and likes the height for driving, it is a two step mount to get in but I like that better than squatting down for her Acura TSX. Very capable tow without a WDH. Timberlin rear air bags are popular.

The rear hatch is electric on my Sequoia and clears the Escape easily. I cannot come up with any annoyances from a tow standpoint. I just use the stock mirrors, though I have extensions, and they are adequate.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:38 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 19'
we got the GX460 as the FJ cruiser replacement and plan to tow the 19' with it. (due August) The GX rear door window pops up (like the FJ) so the items in the back are still somewhat accessible I guess.

one thing I dont like about the GX towing (compare to the FJ) is the tailpipe is very close to the hitch (on passenger side) which makes it one extra thing to look out for when hitching up.
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:46 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
The GX is built on the same platform as the 4Runner so it will have many of the similarities, plus being quite a bit smaller than the Sequoia. I had the luxury of having a V8 4Runner, it was a great tow for the Escape 19. Not available with a V8 any more, the sixes are still very capable tow vehicles.

When an Escape 21 came into my life I was a bit hesitant with the 4Runner, the wider wheel base and width of the Sequoia appealed to me. That was a 2007 model, since stepping up to the 2012 Sequoia model - it is huge. My wife does drive it and likes the height for driving, it is a two step mount to get in but I like that better than squatting down for her Acura TSX. Very capable tow without a WDH. Timberlin rear air bags are popular.

The rear hatch is electric on my Sequoia and clears the Escape easily. I cannot come up with any annoyances from a tow standpoint. I just use the stock mirrors, though I have extensions, and they are adequate.
great info - thanks.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:47 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddoster View Post
we got the GX460 as the FJ cruiser replacement and plan to tow the 19' with it. (due August) The GX rear door window pops up (like the FJ) so the items in the back are still somewhat accessible I guess.

one thing I dont like about the GX towing (compare to the FJ) is the tailpipe is very close to the hitch (on passenger side) which makes it one extra thing to look out for when hitching up.
Cool - thanks.

How do you like the GX 460, both towing, and not, say... around a city?

thanks.

John
Old 04-27-2017, 04:17 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
Cool - thanks.

How do you like the GX 460, both towing, and not, say... around a city?

thanks.

John
We picked the GX over 4runner for the V8 (wish the new 4runner have v8 though).

We just got back from a week long Death Valley trip, it handles towing over washboard, over steep grades nicely. The rear airbags are very nice for leveling, but we only have the FJ to compare to.

driving around-wise, I did not like driving it. It is way too big for my liking, but I can get used to being the passenger. There seemed to be a lot of these around where we live too.

Funny it has about the same gas mileage as the FJ but a bigger tank (I think 19 vs 24) makes the range longer.
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:33 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Sequoia gas tanks are goofy. It is a 26+ gallon tank but the most I have ever been able to put into it has been 24 gallons. The reason, the Distance To Empty DTE has an incorrect calibration and it consistently tells you are empty at 21 gallons. I use the empty message "as it is time to look for a station". Unfortunately, the mileage count down ceases so you are on you own, I have only had the stomach to last for another 30 miles running on "empty". With the big V8 and an Escape 21 in tow I do the "happy dance" if I get 12 mpg.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:58 PM   #28
LJY

Trailer: 2017 Escape
What year MDX do you have? if the limit is 5000 towing, why are you looking for more capacity?
LJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:06 PM   #29

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Sequoia gas tanks are goofy. It is a 26+ gallon tank but the most I have ever been able to put into it has been 24 gallons. The reason, the Distance To Empty DTE has an incorrect calibration and it consistently tells you are empty at 21 gallons. I use the empty message "as it is time to look for a station". Unfortunately, the mileage count down ceases so you are on you own, I have only had the stomach to last for another 30 miles running on "empty". With the big V8 and an Escape 21 in tow I do the "happy dance" if I get 12 mpg.
That is one of the problems, the gas. Those vehicles are just really big to me and I want something smaller. I feel as if even the 4Runner is like driving a big boat and it is bigger than I would like. We do get decent mileage.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:43 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJY View Post
What year MDX do you have? if the limit is 5000 towing, why are you looking for more capacity?
2011 with factory tow package. limits are 5,000 / 500. Has a small transmission cooler.

I'd like to * eventually* replace our MDX Acura with something with a little more torque, and a little longer wheelbase, and a little heavier, to make towing the Escape a little easier and slightly more stable.

so we can scamper up mountains, and also have a little more power for lane changes and for getting out of harms way, as need be

and for merging onto a freeway.

The MDX is a little light on torque.

A heavier tug (plus maybe a slightly longer wheelbase) would be make for a slightly more stable tug.... because... physics.

also - the GX 460 has about a 700 lb hitch weight capacity, so as long as we are 10% to 12% of overall weight, I'd need to worry a bit less about hitch weight..... i think we are about 4,400 lbs, loaded as we do, so 12% would be 528 lbs. I'd like to be in that area, and not have to sweat it.

update: the 2017 GX 460 wheelbase is 2" longer than the 2011 MDX, but also weighs about 600 lbs more.

John
Old 04-27-2017, 06:19 PM   #31
LJY

I just got a 2017 Pilot to tow our 21. Based on video towing reviews of the Ridgeline, there shouldn't be a problem with the Pilot towing. We shall see though...
Old 04-27-2017, 06:37 PM   #32

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Been thinking of upgrading to a Highlander or 4Runner to tow my 17B.
But, finding I would not get any satisfaction out of spending $50,000 on a new, loaded vehicle. I can tow my 17B easily with my RAV4 V6 and it goes like stink when the trailer isn't attached. Highlander and 4Runner are heavier and have the same engine with a bulky body.
I've only got 58,000 miles on it ( 92,000 kilometers ).
So, I'm going to get my baby some new shoes.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:42 PM   #33

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Glenn you can afford to spend a lot of maintenance and upgrades on your RAV compared to the cost of new. With only 58K on it you have a lot of life left there. Treat yourself to an installation of high quality back-up camera like you have been talking about. Heck, have some heated seats installed - that's one of my favorite things on the HIghlander

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:43 PM   #34

Quote:
I just got a 2017 Pilot to tow our 21. Based on video towing reviews of the Ridgeline, there shouldn't be a problem with the Pilot towing. We shall see though...
It depends how you define "problems"

We do ok.... we tow our (fairly lightly loaded with cargo) 2017 21' (with HVAC, dual solar, under foam, dual 6v, extra insulation, thermal windows)
4 days food max.

with a 2011 Acura MDX with factory tow...

According to my internet search... the 2017 Pilot has 280 HP (vs our 300 HP) and you have 262 lb-ft torque (vs our 273 lbs torque)

so you have a little less HP and torque.

We towed from pickup to Los Angeles, with 2 adults and 1 child,
plus we have been to Arizona and Joshua Tree .....

Based on our experience - any significant hills / mountains mean you'll be going 45-50 MPH in the slow lane... behind trucks. Not scampering.

and when you put your foot down to merge onto freeway traffic... on the level... it isn't speedy...

this is why i'm looking at eventually replacing our tug.

Old 04-27-2017, 06:51 PM   #35
LJY

Quote:
It depends how you define "problems"

We do ok.... we tow our (fairly lightly loaded with cargo) 2017 21' (with HVAC, dual solar, under foam, dual 6v, extra insulation, thermal windows)
4 days food max.

with a 2011 Acura MDX with factory tow...

According to my internet search... the 2017 Pilot has 280 HP (vs our 300 HP) and you have 262 lb-ft torque (vs our 273 lbs torque)

so you have a little less HP and torque.

We towed from pickup to Los Angeles, with 2 adults and 1 child,
plus we have been to Arizona and Joshua Tree .....

Based on our experience - any significant hills / mountains mean you'll be going 45-50 MPH in the slow lane... behind trucks. Not scampering.

and when you put your foot down to merge onto freeway traffic... on the level... it isn't speedy...

this is why i'm looking at eventually replacing our tug.

Thank you for this... It's good to know other's experience with similar car.

My understanding is that the MDX requires premium fuel and Honda has recommended to use premium fuel w Pilot when towing, so I'm hoping that it will have more power w premium fuel. Also, somewhere it says Pilot's engine is tuned to have different power band than MDX. The new Ridgeline has same exact engine/drivetrain and the guys doing towing tests on youtube gave it pretty good reviews. Again, I won't know until I try it...

Do you know the tongue weight and total weight of your trailer?

Also, I was shopping for something with more power too.. but couldn't find a reliable 3 row SUV with top safety crash ratings, and good fuel economy when not towing.. so ended up with Pilot
Old 04-27-2017, 06:55 PM   #36
LJY

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Been thinking of upgrading to a Highlander or 4Runner to tow my 17B.
But, finding I would not get any satisfaction out of spending $50,000 on a new, loaded vehicle. I can tow my 17B easily with my RAV4 V6 and it goes like stink when the trailer isn't attached. Highlander and 4Runner are heavier and have the same engine with a bulky body.
I've only got 58,000 miles on it ( 92,000 kilometers ).
So, I'm going to get my baby some new shoes.
They don't sell the RAV4 with V6 any more right? at least in the States..
Old 04-27-2017, 06:55 PM   #37

Quote:
Thank you for this... It's good to know other's experience with similar car.

My understanding is that the MDX requires premium fuel and Honda has recommended to use premium fuel w Pilot when towing, so I'm hoping that it will have more power w premium fuel. Also, somewhere it says Pilot's engine is tuned to have different power band than MDX. The new Ridgeline has same exact engine/drivetrain and the guys doing towing tests on youtube gave it pretty good reviews. Again, I won't know until I try it...

Do you know the tongue weight and total weight of your trailer?
Yes the MDX needs premium fuel.... it increases fuel economy a bit, but power is what it is....

dont know total weight exactly.... according to all my research over the last 18 months... i think about 4,400 lbs.

tongue weight is about 440 lbs, when loaded as i do.

i measure it with a 1,000 lbs shureline. carefully.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:08 PM   #38

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
They don't sell the RAV4 with V6 any more right? at least in the States..
No they don't. I think they found their market was the 4-banger. Some customers were frightened on a test drive when they hit the accelerator and the vehicle took off.
The V6 has 269 hp.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:42 PM   #39

Trailer: 2016 19 (sold)
After towing our 19 with a 2009 4Runner (V6) for several months last year, we "swapped" it for a 2009 Land Cruiser for many of the same reasons that have you looking for a new tug. Namely, lots of mountain towing at altitude and the ability to regularly handle four people and the associated bikes and other gear.

The Land Cruiser, which is the big sibling of the GX460, has been outstanding so far for both towing and non-towing uses. We use a WDH but haven't tried it without. Power on Colorado passes with a fully-loaded trailer has not been an issue at all, and I think the handling while towing is improved over the 4Runner.

We also looked hard at Tundras and Sequoias (especially the Tundra) but found them really big for daily use around town. The Land Cruiser is still more of a boat than the 4Runner, but manages ok. If I'm not mistaken I think that the GX460 is a hair smaller than the Land Cruiser. I wouldn't want to use any of them as a regular commuter.

Check to see if the GX460 requires premium fuel. Our Land Cruiser takes regular, but my recollection is that the Lexus version (LX570) is calibrated for premium.

Also, I wouldn't hesitate to look at used GX460s (or LX570s/Land Cruisers) that have over 100K miles on them if they have been regularly maintained. They hold up like few other vehicles out there. I know that this is true of all Toyotas, but it seems particularly true for these models.
canyonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:46 PM   #40
LJY

Quote:
Yes the MDX needs premium fuel.... it increases fuel economy a bit, but power is what it is....

dont know total weight exactly.... according to all my research over the last 18 months... i think about 4,400 lbs.

tongue weight is about 440 lbs, when loaded as i do.

i measure it with a 1,000 lbs shureline. carefully.

Hi John,

Have you ever measured your tongue weight without the WDH?
are those WDH usually 80 or 90 lbs ? I wonder how much do they contribute to tongue weight?