Anyone using an Andersen WDH hitch? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-21-2021, 07:47 AM   #1

Trailer: ‘22 21C
Anyone using an Andersen WDH hitch?

A friend of ours just took delivery of a new Oliver 2, it came with the Anderson hitch, he claims this is the only hitch they use, maybe due to the way the propane tank cover is mounted.
Anyway this looks like a really good design, just curious if anyone has used this on their Escape?
https://andersenhitches.com/pages/we...ribution-hitch
LtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 02:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Just FYI below from the Andersen WDH Installation Manual which may or may not bear on your choice.

Personally, I'd never want a hitch that is incompatible with or encourages disabling any tow-vehicle's directional stability systems (distinct from traction control systems) in order for the hitch to 'work safely'. Those modern vehicle electronic directional stability systems can be life-savers in many more towing situations than just the occurrence of trailer-induced sway, IMO.

My preference is to use a WDH designed only for weight distribution to address tow vehicle sag / stance issues. Insofar as sway prevention I prefer the tried and true approach of maintaining 10%-15% (erring to the high side of that range) of the loaded un-hitched trailer weight on the tongue as the best method for inherently preventing the initiation of trailer sway. I've found adherence to that 'rule' of vehicle dynamics and physics obviates the need for any other 'sway-preventing hitch device or feature'.

Just for your consideration, YMMV of course, Have Fun!
Attached Thumbnails
Pages from 3932 - WD Hitch installation manual May 2021.png  
Old 11-21-2021, 03:15 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtDan View Post
A friend of ours just took delivery of a new Oliver 2, it came with the Anderson hitch, he claims this is the only hitch they use, maybe due to the way the propane tank cover is mounted.
Anyway this looks like a really good design, just curious if anyone has used this on their Escape?
https://andersenhitches.com/pages/we...ribution-hitch
This WDH system has been used by so many Escape owners that it was a factory optional accessory for a while. There have been quite a few discussions of it in this forum, although they can be tricky to find just using the keyword "Andersen" in a search because there is also an unrelated Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Solution. Maybe try "Andersen No-Sway"...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 03:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Just FYI below from the Andersen WDH Installation Manual which may or may not bear on your choice.
Personally, I'd never want a hitch that is incompatible with or encourages disabling any tow-vehicle's directional stability systems (distinct from traction control systems) in order for the hitch to 'work safely'. Those modern vehicle electronic directional stability systems can be life-savers in many more towing situations than just the occurrence of trailer-induced sway, IMO.

My preference is to use a WDH designed only for weight distribution to address tow vehicle sag / stance issues...
The Andersen No-Sway installation manual section:
Quote:
Using the WD Hitch with late model vehicles that have electronic anti-sway

The Andersen WD Hitch features its own sway controls that are designed to auto-adjust to the load in your trailer and prevent trailer sway when installed properly. Unfortunately, some newer electronic anti-sway systems can misread the anti-sway efforts of the Andersen WD Hitch and the anti-sway system may actually cause the trailer to sway as the two systems work against each other.

These potential issues typically occur with electronic anti-sway systems that are designed to detect trailer sway and automatically use the vehicle brakes to help control the sway. Please note that this type of anti-sway system is different from electronic traction control, which does not cause this type of problem. If you experience this type of issue, you will need to turn off the electronic anti-sway in your vehicle in order to tow with the Andersen WD Hitch.

This issue is most likely to occur in 2011 and newer truck models from Ford, GMC, Dodge, and Chevy. Refer to your tow vehicle’s owners manual to determine if you have electronic anti-sway and how to disable it while using the WD Hitch to tow.
All that the Andersen No-Sway hitch does regarding sway is add frictional resistance to yaw rotation roughly in proportion to tongue weight, so if this is a problem with the Andersen system it will also be a problem with any hitch system having high friction... such as the Equal-i-zer, Fastway E2, and many others.
Old 11-21-2021, 03:28 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
We have had and use the Andersen WDH since we took delivery of our 2014 19' classic. I would never go back to a trunnion or bar type WDH which we had on our previous trailer. Easy to use, fast & light to attach. I had one of the original models that was introduced and travelled 30k+km, after about 2-3 years it started squeaking, Andersen had identified a design problem and sent me a complete new hitch which has performed flawlessly.
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 04:02 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Had one for a little over a year sold and installed by Escape. Had two problems- first the chain guides were being eaten by the chains and then our coupler had to be replaced after 18 months.

There are threads on Airforum about wear on couplers; fortunately I received a full and installed and still use a Pro Series which is perfect for a 21C.
Old 11-21-2021, 04:02 PM   #7

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
We have used it on our new 21C, for about a year. Absolutely no problems after 4000 miles. Sometimes we disable the trucks anti sway, sometimes not, depends if we remember or not.
After having previous other sway control systems I am a believer of the Anderson.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 05:10 PM   #8

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
We have been using the Anderson anti sway hitch for the past 2 years. We are newbies at towing so don't have anything to compare it to, but our experience has been very positive. Easy to hook up and it is quiet.
Have had no issues with sway and we have been in some pretty good storms with cross winds etc. Trailer has never once even felt a hint of sway.
We tow with a 2018 GMC Canyon
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 08:17 PM   #9

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
All that the Andersen No-Sway hitch does regarding sway is add frictional resistance to yaw rotation roughly in proportion to tongue weight, so if this is a problem with the Andersen system it will also be a problem with any hitch system having high friction... such as the Equal-i-zer, Fastway E2, and many others.
I don't disagree, was just replying in the context of the OP's hitch of interest and offering info specifically from Andersen for their consideration (perhaps you didn't notice I included an image of the text from the Andersen Manual, rather than copy>paste as you did).

There are of course a large number of 'WD only' (lacking 'anti-sway features') hitches on the market that don't incorporate 'yaw-resistance' in their design such as those others you mention. Though there is a certain amount of friction in their pivoting components, those 'WD only' hitches by design minimize 'yaw-resistance' relative to the TV to the extent practicable.

Everyone has their preferences, as long as their choices are well-informed, No Worries!
Old 11-21-2021, 09:02 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
I have heard that the Andersen WDH does put a lot of strain on the coupler, this is minimized with the Oliver's reliance on the Bulldog collar style coupler that would see less wear on the capture mechanism. If I was to use the Andersen, (and Im evaluating wdh systems for the upcoming Bigfoot) I think I would want a bulldog or other brands collar lock coupler. My previous wdh was the Reese Pros Series with the 21 and it worked quite well for the combination of the truck/trailer. It had no sway control, nor was it needed . I have been looking into the Pro Pride system, pricey and a major pain to learn to hook up I gather, however it seems to be that cats meow for effective sway and weight control. I know some on this forum have it. I have an older truck that does not have any electronic tow haul mode or built in sway control. So its mechanical wdh, and for this new rig one with sway. My tow weight will go up by 1500 lbs . Right now my choice is between the equalizer, blue Ox and Weigh-safe brands. Given I was used to chains with the ProSeries, I am leaning towards the Blue Ox. I will say the Weigh-Safe adjustability is piquing my interest.

I'd say go for the Andersen , but replace the coupler with a collar lock. There is a new design of the Andersen, by the way that improves its longevity. On the other hand the Reese Pro Series worked flawlessly for 4 years and was very affordable. Just lubricate the where the bars connect to the hitch tongue. My two cents, never had sway issues with the Reese.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 12:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
...perhaps you didn't notice I included an image of the text from the Andersen Manual, rather than copy>paste as you did...
I noticed - I quoted the actual text with a link to the source and confirmed that it was the same text, because that seems a lot more usable to me and might be easier for others to use... but it's the same information.
Old 11-22-2021, 12:29 AM   #12

I'll note that half the people in this discussion are using "Anderson", but the actual name of the company is "Andersen". I only mention this because if anyone is looking for information, searching with the correct spelling of the name will be more productive.
Old 11-22-2021, 06:55 AM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I'll note that half the people in this discussion are using "Anderson", but the actual name of the company is "Andersen". I only mention this because if anyone is looking for information, searching with the correct spelling of the name will be more productive.
I corrected the spelling in the title of the thread.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 08:28 AM   #14

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud 1988
We recommend ProPride. It eliminated the dangerous and frightening sway on our Bigfoot Silver Cloud.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 08:37 AM   #15

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I have the Andersen hitch on my 15B and a Pro Series spring bar type WD hitch on my 19'. Both have performed well but I much prefer the spring bar hitch over the Andersen hitch, mainly for ease of hookup and operation.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 12:23 PM   #16

Trailer: 2022 E19 Escape
I have been using this hitch for 6 years. I love it for my heavy 16 ft. scamp. I will also use on my new 19 Escape in April.
KenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 03:03 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
We recommend ProPride. It eliminated the dangerous and frightening sway on our Bigfoot Silver Cloud.

CindyL
Thanks, I’m not sure we can swing the price of the pro-pride this year as the purchase of the trailer will pretty much stress the budget. They have also gone up to about 3500 with shipping plus tax

My dealer is recommending the equalizer and Grant does recommend them. It’s 5 times the price for the Propride. Perhaps in 2023 if our tow experience is less than stellar
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 06:15 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape 21 2019
I use the Andersen with my 21C and LR4, which has anti-sway as well as airbags, so it is "not" recommended by LR to use a WDH. But it tows better with it than without it...better handling with more weight on the front tires, and much quieter and less porpoising. I've not tried other WDH but I found this one easy to use. You do have to make sure you order the right version for the vehicle...I bought mine used and it could stand to have the ball an inch lower but it works.
daniel108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 01:34 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I used the Andersen for several years before becoming frustrated with connecting to the trailer. First, getting the vehicle aligned perfectly, meaning at the exact same angle as when you unhooked. Second, the frequent raising and lowering compounded by not having an electric jack. Finally, after ending use of the Andersen and going without a WDH, I found the Andersen had worn the Ram trailer coupler such that there was constant “slop” around the ball, it could not be adjusted and was solved by installing a Bulldog coupler.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 04:56 PM   #20

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
We used one, installed by Dennis at ETI, for several years. It really wasn't adequate for the softly sprung Highlander...it just didn't lift the rear of the car enough. It also wore the ball pretty badly, probably because of the constant spring tension pulling the trailer and car together. We also had the creeping elastomer cone problem, which Andersen replaced. We switched to a conventional Equalizer WDH, which I much prefer, at least for this tow car/trailer combo. It's heavy, but it will probably outlast the Escape and Highlander both.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote