Backing Up with Phone Communication - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-26-2020, 08:05 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Backing Up with Phone Communication

We parked the trailer yesterday in its "spot". I had my phone on hands free in the cab and the wife had her phone in hand. It made communicating much easier and lowered the stress level a lot. Of course you need cell service for this to work.

Handheld radios would work but not as convenient.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:40 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15A
Good idea! Will put it to use. And one of those "why didn't I think of that"...!
dstreight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
We parked the trailer yesterday in its "spot". I had my phone on hands free in the cab and the wife had her phone in hand. It made communicating much easier and lowered the stress level a lot. Of course you need cell service for this to work.

To clarify I had the truck blue toothed in so the hands free was more clear than just the speaker on the cell phone,

Zig Ziglar
Old 03-26-2020, 01:15 PM   #4
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:

Nice reminder Skiman. May prevent the need for this...

https://www.amazon.com/FaceYee-Campe...aps%2C213&th=1

If no cell service we make good use of our radios. I found and use these radios/walkie talkies with an ear piece for 'hands free' usage.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like these radios not only for backing up the trailer but when caravanning with others on the road (keeps the cell phone on GPS duty). When camping with others who are in a nearby site, it's also a great way to ask things like, 'Hey, is time to start dinner yet?' To make sure the radios are always charged up, I plug them in at the same time I turn the fridge on, a day or two before our trip. While camping, its very easy to keep them charged up on AC or DC. Cell phones are indeed much easier, but this has been a good back up for us since we tend to enjoy places with limited to no cell phone coverage.

Can't wait to go out soon... Over and out! -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:32 PM   #5

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
For those with factory backup cameras, some of the models that ETI has installed include a microphone at the camera, so the driver can both see and hear what’s going on behind the trailer. Unfortunately it’s one way communication. I roll our truck windows down so I can yell back at the wife while she calm and collectedly tells me where to stick it...er...park.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:47 AM   #6

We also use our phones. I have learned that if my wife stands at the back of our camp spot and faces the camper it is easy to say back right or back left since both of us are facing the same direction. Less confusion of is it my right or hers.
Happy Camping will return stay safe!
Dplandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:40 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Carl, an excellent idea. We'll give it a try. -Tom
mtnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
Nice reminder Skiman. May prevent the need for this...

https://www.amazon.com/FaceYee-Campe...aps%2C213&th=1

If no cell service we make good use of our radios. I found and use these radios/walkie talkies with an ear piece for 'hands free' usage.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like these radios not only for backing up the trailer but when caravanning with others on the road (keeps the cell phone on GPS duty). When camping with others who are in a nearby site, it's also a great way to ask things like, 'Hey, is time to start dinner yet?' To make sure the radios are always charged up, I plug them in at the same time I turn the fridge on, a day or two before our trip. While camping, its very easy to keep them charged up on AC or DC. Cell phones are indeed much easier, but this has been a good back up for us since we tend to enjoy places with limited to no cell phone coverage.

Can't wait to go out soon... Over and out! -Bea
I am hearing challenged so I wear aids. Any radio hardware that work wth that? I have older radios that you have to push the button but backing is already a pretty busy process.

Zig Ziglar
Old 03-27-2020, 02:37 PM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21 NE
If I mounted my wife's iPhone on the back trailer bumper and had mine mounted on the dash, I bet I could use FaceTime as a backup camera solution... I will be trying this!
Jeff Thoelke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 02:48 PM   #10
Bea

Quote:
I am hearing challenged so I wear aids. Any radio hardware that work wth that? I have older radios that you have to push the button but backing is already a pretty busy process.
Hi Carl, This is the headset that came with our radio set. ...Not sure if this one is compatible with hearing aids? It' a little bulky around the ear...but I'm getting used to it. Our older walkie talkies didn't have an outlet for a headset, thus we decided to buy this new set. I primarily use the headset when traveling/driving alone and caravanning with others. Nice to spot each other for lane changes, etc. When DH is with me, out of habit, he grabs the walkie talkie, jumps out and guides me into our site or backyard. Old habits die hard, so your reminder to use a cell phone is most welcomed! -Bea
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8382-2.jpg  
Old 03-27-2020, 06:57 PM   #11

Trailer: 2020 21'NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Thoelke View Post
If I mounted my wife's iPhone on the back trailer bumper and had mine mounted on the dash, I bet I could use FaceTime as a backup camera solution... I will be trying this!
Why is it MY phone mounted on the back of the trailer? Maybe I'll be driving and YOU standing in the back trying to not get run over.
tukwilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 06:34 AM   #12

Trailer: sold Airstream\Casita -2019 21' Escape
For those with Apple Watches, the Walkie-Talkie mode works good.
jumboscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:43 AM   #13

Trailer: ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tukwilma View Post
Why is it MY phone mounted on the back of the trailer? Maybe I'll be driving and YOU standing in the back trying to not get run over.
The ultimate responsibility for parking the trailer lies with the driver and not the helper. If you back into something, don’t yell at the helper, just look into the mirror to see the responsible party.

If in doubt when driving, remember GOAL.
Get Out And Look.

Ed
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:47 PM   #14

Trailer: 2020 21'NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
The ultimate responsibility for parking the trailer lies with the driver and not the helper. If you back into something, don’t yell at the helper, just look into the mirror to see the responsible party.

If in doubt when driving, remember GOAL.
Get Out And Look.

Ed
Phewf! thanks for the reminder! we try to use the "navigator is responsible for getting us there, driver is responsible for getting us there in one piece" philosophy. But it doesn't always play out that way. Good thing we have a good sense of humor, a good sense of adventure, and really love each other.
tukwilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:51 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Over 95% of the time, I am reversing the trailer alone and don't bother to phone the wife. Even if she is there I will only bring her into the process if there is something critical to watch for, which doesn't happen very often.

When my wife, or anyone else, does help with reversing, hand signals are used, either to indicate straight back or the direction to turn the trailer, or to stop (including distance if close).

Something I learned many a year ago and have used for personal or work related reversing with trailers. Works for me.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 11:41 AM   #16
Bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Over 95% of the time, I am reversing the trailer alone and don't bother to phone the wife. Even if she is there I will only bring her into the process if there is something critical to watch for, which doesn't happen very often.

When my wife, or anyone else, does help with reversing, hand signals are used, either to indicate straight back or the direction to turn the trailer, or to stop (including distance if close).

Something I learned many a year ago and have used for personal or work related reversing with trailers. Works for me.
When my husband is with me, we always use hand signals for hitching up because the back up camera on our TV is not HD, making it hard to see on the screen when the ball is directly under the coupler.

Glenn (gbaglo) posted these videos on using hand signals for backing a trailer a few weeks ago. Very helpful.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post326528

Thanks Glenn! -Bea
Old 03-29-2020, 04:28 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We arrived at a campsite in December late evening that was so dark I couldn’t see the site to back in let alone mi esposa. Finally had her turn the flashlight on her phone on and stand on the drivers corner of the pad. Using the light for reference, stuck it right in on first go. Flashlight from the hitch box would do the trick as well.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
When my husband is with me, we always use hand signals for hitching up because the back up camera on our TV is not HD, making it hard to see on the screen when the ball is directly under the coupler.

Glenn (gbaglo) posted these videos on using hand signals for backing a trailer a few weeks ago. Very helpful.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post326528

Thanks Glenn! -Bea
Those are somewhat different than the signals I use. Nonetheless, if you both understand them all is good. I learned mine while working building electrical substations. I got my Class I license while working there and had to back up lots of big trucks and trailers in the substations where great care is needed.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-03-2020, 09:53 PM   #19

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Many of the places we travel and camp are way off the beaten path where phone service varies from spotty to nonexistent. Relying on phones for this function would not work for us. We rely on clear hand signals and the spotter staying visible to the driver. Or yelling.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:04 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Many of the places we travel and camp are way off the beaten path where phone service varies from spotty to nonexistent. Relying on phones for this function would not work for us. We rely on clear hand signals and the spotter staying visible to the driver. Or yelling.
I was very much in agreement with this post..... until the last two words.