Backup camera - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2014, 04:14 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 19. Birthing date June 23
Question Backup camera

My Toyota Tacoma has the standard radio therefore no video screen. How do and what do i need to add backup camera?
PAB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I was given a 'wireless' camera and receiver by my daughter. It required me to mount the camera, run a cable through a hole drilled behind the license plate after removing the upholstery panel. Connect that cable to a box ( transmitter ) wired into the brake lights. Then I would mount the monitor somewhere on the dash and plug it into the power outlet ( competing for space with my GPS and Sirius satellite radio.
I called a local shop to inquire about having them do the install. Would be at least $200 and they didn't recommend doing it, because in their experience, the wireless cameras were lousy.

I had it returned to Costco and she got me this Swift Hitch instead. Camera attaches with its magnetic base to your tail gate and the monitor is either hand-held or you can Velcro it to your dash. Has built in lithium batteries and a charger that charges camera and monitor at once. It does provide a clear image and has night light.
Field of vision is designed to see your approaching hitch and the ball.

I've yet to use it, but my brother-in-law has had one for years so he can hitch up his ski-boat on his own. He demonstrated the range for me and it is very good.
etrailer.com - Products swift hitch camera
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2014-02-12 at 2.18.02 PM.png  
Old 02-12-2014, 04:45 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
If you are interested in a "permanent" camera, both single & two (or more) camera systems are available from Rear View Safety. I added one to my RAV4 & Escape 17 that has been useful over the last 3 years...
Old 02-12-2014, 05:32 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Another option, if you routinely use a separate GPS, is to get one that accepts a camera signal; the GPS screen then serves double-duty, as a monitor (no GPS) when reversing, and as a normal GPS (no video) otherwise. I don't have one of these, I just noticed them as available when looking at GPS options.

Example: Magellan Wireless Back-up Camera
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:45 PM   #5

Trailer: 21' Escape (June 2014)
I originally used a Peak wireless camera for over a year in my full-sized Tundra truck. All-in-all it did a fair job at best. I got the larger Peak with the 3 1/2" screen, which I consider too small, so I can't imagine the smaller 2 1/2" screen as being useful at all. I replaced the wireless Peak outfit with a wired camera and monitor and I've used it now for about two years. Total cost was a little bit over $50, and it wasn't a difficult install

This is the monitor I ordered from Amazon ($35.68): Amazon.com: 7 inch TFT Color LCD Car Rear View Camera Monitor Support Rotating The Screen and 2 AV Inputs: Car Electronics
And this is the camera ($15.26):
Amazon.com: Waterproof Car Rear Vehicle Backup View Camera High-definition Cmos 170 Degree Viewing Angle E363: Car Electronics

The image is clear, sharp, and NO flickering interference. Also, it's large enough that it is actually useful. Pictured with my old 3 1/2" Peak unit. The new camera didn't come with a license plate mount so I cut a piece of cheap aluminium ruler to size and drilled appropriate holes to fit - not much work, really. I was worried about wiring it, but found plugs under the carpet in the front of my cab and there was plenty of cable supplied to reach with no problem. I simply zip-tied the cable to the truck frame.

So far, after two years, and unlike with the Peak, there has been no sign of it leaking, and I'm very happy with it.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00947.jpg   DSC00941 (2).jpg  
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:52 PM   #6

Thanks for the description, Ray. That big monitor would be nice - I want a GPS that size in our motorhome, but I don't know about it in the trailer tug. Where and how did you mount it in the truck cab?
Old 02-13-2014, 11:41 AM   #7

Trailer: 21' Escape (June 2014)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Where and how did you mount it in the truck cab?
In the center of the dash on my Tundra there's an open storage bin - possibly where the ashtray used to be. I cut some wood to fit in the opening and used Velcro to stick it in place. I simply fastened the screen mount to the wood with a bolt.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01517b.jpg   DSC01516b.jpg  
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:54 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I bought the same unit because I wanted a back-up camera on the back of the truck and on the back of the trailer. With the two camera inputs, this was perfect.

I bought the monitor and two cameras on ebay for about $50. I like the hard wired installation because it's reliable. Bit of a nuisance to run the cable but worth it to me.

The best place to put it was in front of my radio. I used spring loaded hinges so I can flip it down to access the radio.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
24-08-2012 7-16-16 PM  002_resize.JPG   24-08-2012 7-16-16 PM  003_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:25 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
I saw where someone had stuck the monitor to the back window of his truck where he could see it in the rear view mirror.

Dick"
Old 02-13-2014, 03:54 PM   #10

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by captmath View Post
I saw where someone had stuck the monitor to the back window of his truck where he could see it in the rear view mirror.

Dick"
That's what we do. We have the Peak camera setup and put the camera in the back window of the Escape and the monitor on the back window of the truck cab...easy to just look in the rear view mirror to see it.
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
In the center of the dash on my Tundra there's an open storage bin - possibly where the ashtray used to be. I cut some wood to fit in the opening and used Velcro to stick it in place. I simply fastened the screen mount to the wood with a bolt.
Nice setup. Thanks for the description.

I mounted the trailer brake controller on the pop-out cupholder/coinholder of our Sienna, using a simple custom bracket... much the same approach of taking advantage of an available space.