Ball Mount Choice - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-29-2018, 08:23 AM   #1

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Ball Mount Choice

I'm in a measuring phase of life. Just in the last half hour I watched this fascinating tutorial on how to measure the size of my foot both width and length. It was an illuminating experience.

Now I am on to ball mounts. Etrailer has a nifty description on how to choose the right ball mount by measuring the rise and/or drop. Does anyone know what the coupler height of a *level* 21 Escape is? I'll be towing with a 4Runner and have determined the hitch height on level ground.

BTW if anyone's interested why I was measuring my foot (which I seriously doubt), I ordered a size 11 pair of Sorel Falcon Ridge slippers. I didn't realize my feet had gotten longer.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 08:42 AM   #2

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
I'm in a measuring phase of life. Just in the last half hour I watched this fascinating tutorial on how to measure the size of my foot both width and length. It was an illuminating experience.

Now I am on to ball mounts. Etrailer has a nifty description on how to choose the right ball mount by measuring the rise and/or drop. Does anyone know what the coupler height of a *level* 21 Escape is? I'll be towing with a 4Runner and have determined the hitch height on level ground.

BTW if anyone's interested why I was measuring my foot (which I seriously doubt), I ordered a size 11 pair of Sorel Falcon Ridge slippers. I didn't realize my feet had gotten longer.
When we recently picked up our new 21 from the factory, we had decided to get Escape to supply us with a WDH which they fitted to match our F-150 Tow Vehicle. If that was your intention, you then won't have to worry about the height of the ball mount as they dealt with all that. You should certainly consider it. What's your TV?
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 08:47 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: Telescopist... I bought a Reece stinger for my 2016 Ram EcoD at TSC Stores. I got a 3" drop just to have one complete with a 2" ball for around 22 bucks. They only had one left so it might have been a good deal!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:11 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I believe the desired height for an Escape coupler is 19-21" from the ground to top of the ball, so an adjustable set up maybe be preferred.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:55 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:
As Jim stated 19" to 21" with 19" most common standard as measured from top of ball and inside and top of ball coupler.

You state ball mount which I would assume you do not intend to have WDH. They make many adjustable ball mounts from $30 to several hundred dollars.

The one pictured is example and is adjustable either for drop or rise depending how is inserted into the hitch receiver.
Attached Thumbnails
Adjustable ball mount.png  
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 10:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris & Patricia View Post
When we recently picked up our new 21 from the factory, we had decided to get Escape to supply us with a WDH which they fitted to match our F-150 Tow Vehicle. If that was your intention, you then won't have to worry about the height of the ball mount as they dealt with all that. You should certainly consider it. What's your TV?
Hi Chris & Patricia,
I'm going to purchase a E2 -- Integrated Sway Control & WDH combo. Escape will hook it up for me from what I understand. My tow vehicle is a 2019 4Runner. I was all gung ho on purchasing a Highlander XLE. Then I test drove a 4Runner and liked it much better. The 4Runner already has installed a Class 3 hitch plus receptacles for 4 prong and 7 prong wiring. Plus I like the fact that the 4Runner is using a Tacoma truck frame.

Maybe I'll just wait until I get to the Escape factory (sometime around May 19th) and purchase the correct ball mount from them.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:02 AM   #7

Noted Jim.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
As Jim stated 19" to 21" with 19" most common standard as measured from top of ball and inside and top of ball coupler.

You state ball mount which I would assume you do not intend to have WDH. They make many adjustable ball mounts from $30 to several hundred dollars.

The one pictured is example and is adjustable either for drop or rise depending how is inserted into the hitch receiver.
My build sheet includes a E2 by Fastway. Failed to mention that in my original post. Can you provide a link to that ball mount? I was thinking more in line of a
Reese Towpower 21556 Class III Towing Starter Kit. This one is @$25. There is a variety of drops and rises but one has to do the calculations first.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:11 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I would pass by those adjustable ball mounts if not using a WDH. I had one before and they are too rattly and noisy. I would just buy a solid one with the correct drop, and you are good to go.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 10:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I would pass by those adjustable ball mounts if not using a WDH. I had one before and they are too rattly and noisy. I would just buy a solid one with the correct drop, and you are good to go.
We are of the same mind.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:22 AM   #11

For anyone interested here is a link to the tutorial. https://www.etrailer.com/faq-ballmount.aspx#measure
Old 12-29-2018, 10:49 AM   #12

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
If you are getting the e2 from escape there is no need to purchase a mount, it comes with the hitch.
jeffrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 11:04 AM   #13

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:
My build sheet includes a E2 by Fastway. Failed to mention that in my original post. Can you provide a link to that ball mount? I was thinking more in line of a
Reese Towpower 21556 Class III Towing Starter Kit. This one is @$25. There is a variety of drops and rises but one has to do the calculations first.

As already stated no ball mount needed, everything needed will be in the Fastway E2 kit installed and adjusted by ETI.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 11:22 AM   #14

Okay. Thanks