Bearings and seals for 19 ft Escape? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2010, 09:55 PM   #1

Bearings and seals for 19 ft Escape?

I was wondering if anyone had repacked there wheel bearings yet.What is the recommendation as to mileage to repack?
Perhaps Reace or some other knowledgeable person could post the Seal and Bearing numbers that are used in the 19 ft dual axle Escape.I would at least like to have a set of seals on hand before I start the job.Thanks in advance.
Ronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Re: Bearings and seals for 19 ft Escape?

Hi: Ronald... Escape owners manual pg.14 recommends an annual repack of bearings. I had mine done last spring at our local RV. dealer. I had to replace the element in the water heater...my fault... and the total bill came to $75. inc. 2wh. repack, new seals ,and brake adjust. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:21 PM   #3

Thanks Escape artist.There is no way that I could have that service done that cheap in my area.I would like to repack the bearings myself and am looking for the seal and bearing numbers so that I might do the job myself.If I have new seals in my hand before I start the job it will go a lot faster.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:51 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: Ronald... Yes John treats me well. He charges $50. to winterize and he makes house calls. The one tool he has is a bearing grease packer!!! The container is full of grease and he just drops the bearing in flat...put the lid on and push the plunger, and it forces the grease up thru the bearing. Then he just wipes the old stuff off and puts them back in. I wish I'd have asked what size the seals were Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie Have you called to price the job locally?
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:36 PM   #5

I inspect and repack the bearings once a year and inspect, clean and adjust the brakes at the same time. We average 10-12K kilometers a year. I suppose it would be handy to have a set of seals just in case but you certainly don't have to replace the seals once a year. Keep everything clean and well greased and the seals should last for years.

Cheers

2012 Escape 19'
2013 F350 crewcab 4x4
Paul S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:26 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

Send an email inquiry to Escape. That's what I did, and if I had saved the reply I could answer your question on seals, but I can't find it ( I'm assuming the seals on the 17' are the same - which is all irrelevant since I don't have the info ).

baglo
Old 03-18-2010, 08:34 AM   #7

Trailer: '07 17B

Something i found out about last year, was that the seals need to be 'preloaded'. I had the seals repacked at a local rv service, took off on our trip & toward the end, i noticed the wheels seemed loose. That is to say, if you grabbed the tires & push/pulled them, there was a bit of play in them. When we got home, i took it to my mechanic & he redid them. He told me that they have to be preloaded, (ie. tighten them, then back off the nuts, then retighten them) prior to final tightening of the lug nuts.
GaryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:01 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 'Houdini 2'

Last fall I noticed that one of the wheels on our 19 was loose as described previously. I had already felt that after our long trip back to Vermont that I would take it to our local RV dealer for a repack and brake adjustment - so I did - bill $120. Peace of mind - greatly enhanced. I have discussed with other campers and a local mechanic about Bearing Buddies (ys), a unit that goes on the end of the axle with a grease fitting on it and you just tuck the grease to them. Anyone had any experience with them?

As for the specifics on your question, I would agree that an e-mail to Reace would be expedient, but I wonder if the info supplied with the trailer specific to the axles might have a clue... that would mean of course, that directions would have to be read... :-) I hope your project goes well. Ian
Old 03-19-2010, 02:35 PM   #9

I have gone thru all of the papers that came with my trailer and nowhere does it have any info on seal or bearing replacement parts.I have emailed Escape and upon their reply I will post any info that they send me.Unless of course Reace would post the info on this forum.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:50 PM   #10

I used bearing buddies on my tent trailer. I don't think they are what you are looking for. You still have to inspect the bearings for wear ( leaving the trailer sitting on the wheels for a long period of time can cause flat spots - I am told ). They are for marine use where the bearings are constantly submerged when loading and unloading the boat trailer. You pump grease in until grease comes out a little hole, and then it spreads to your wheels and tires ( in my experience ) and drops onto your driveway. I feel much more secure getting the bearings inspected and repacked ( and, not by me - I did it once and lack confidence in my mechanical ability ).

baglo
Old 03-19-2010, 07:00 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 'Houdini 2'

gb - I think I agree with you - I feel that some of this potentially critical maintenance stuff is best left to those whose business it is to do. I can make the money up in less time on the anvil than dubbing around trying to do that which I am not familiar or competent. Plus, I know it is done right - that peace of mind thing. Thanks for the info about the buddies - I thought it might mean that I could wait longer for a repack. How often do most of you do the repack? Is it based on time or mileage?
it would be nice to know what seals and so forth that are correct for the 19's axles. I'm sorry that they weren't in the info - it would seem to make sense for it to be there. When it's posted, I'll put it in the binder with the axle and all the other documentation.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:01 PM   #12

So, where do you have the work done, Glen? (Or is it Glenn?)

2009 17' Plan B
ronstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:13 PM   #13

It's Glenn ( the second 'N' is silent ).

I actually haven't had the bearings done yet ( I got the Toad in late July 2008 ) and I'm guessing it's about time...
I took the tent trailer to my mechanic and did them myself once, but I'm going to book an appointment with North Shore RV since their shop is about a kilometer down hill from my house. I was told it would cost about $150 for the wheel bearings and brake adjustment. I'm guessing I have about 10,000 K on the trailer and the bearings should be good for 20,000, but I really didn't keep track. Better safe than sorry, and I plan to keep better records from now on.

My mechanic said he would do the job for about $90, but it's more of a hassle, being dependent on weather and how much room he has on his lot.

And you can call me 'baglo'. My wife and daughter do.

baglo
Old 03-22-2010, 01:56 PM   #14

Just got the Email from Tammy.What wonderful people.

The bearings are; (Inner) L68149 or 129200, (Outer) L44649 or 129000
The seals are; 58846 or 158800 depending on where you are ordering them from.

The axle is a #10 Torflex made by Dexter.
This axle is used on the 15', 17', 19' and 5.0
The brake shoes are; 10 x 2-1/4

I hope this helps.

Tammy
Old 03-22-2010, 05:26 PM   #15

Excellent.
Another # for the seals is SE16.

I seized upon the good weather today, and that my mechanic wasn't busy, to get the bearings repacked and brakes adjusted on my Escape 17. I backed it into the bay and asked if I could watch so I could do it myself next time. No problem.

It began to occur to me that I would need a tool or two that I don't have and that I don't have a bath for cleaning the seals and recovering the solvent. I already have a compressor for blowing the solvent out of the seals and drying them, but I don't have jack stands. It occurred to me that I would have to drive to the auto parts store to get the seals and I would have to buy grease and shop cloths and latex gloves.

My mind wandered and it became apparent that I wasn't going to be repacking my own wheel bearings or adjusting the brakes.

And, when I got the bill - $63.83 for parts and labour, that just confirmed it.

The local RV shop had quoted me $150 for the same work.

baglo
Old 03-22-2010, 05:56 PM   #16

If I thought that I could get it done that cheaply I would do it myself.Did he reuse the seals?
Old 03-22-2010, 06:57 PM   #17

No, he got new seals.

baglo
Old 05-13-2010, 12:12 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 19' Escape

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo

...My mind wandered and it became apparent that I wasn't going to be repacking my own wheel bearings or adjusting the brakes.

And, when I got the bill - $63.83 for parts and labour, that just confirmed it.

The local RV shop had quoted me $150 for the same work.

baglo
We just dropped off our 19' at a local RV shop and the quote for repacking the bearings and adjusting the brakes was $300. Of course, we have twice as many wheels as baglo, but it seems high to me. But not a lot of options in our small town...
Old 05-13-2010, 07:11 PM   #19

The brake adjustment takes about 15 or 20 minutes. Most of that is jacking up the trailer.
I suggest you check around with mechanics that don't have RV in their name and see if they will give you a quote. Your bearings will not need to be replaced at this point, just repacked, and they probably don't need that yet, depending on how many miles you've put on the 19 - which I suspect is not that much.

baglo
Old 05-14-2010, 04:46 AM   #20

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

I took Hokie to a local Tire Dealer, and they repacked the hubs, and checked the brakes for about $70. Forget the RV shop, it's a simple job for people who deal with tires daily.
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote