Bed liner vs. 5th wheel hitch - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2016, 02:37 PM   #1

Bed liner vs. 5th wheel hitch

Not strictly a towing question, but:

New short bed F-150, installing a (sliding) hitch when picking up the 5.0TA in May. I'd like to have a bed liner, but of course it needs to coexist with the hitch rails. I'm assuming I can install the liner first, and the installer can 'just' cut away the liner for the rails. Or better to put the liner in after the hitch?

Another alternative would be a spray-on liner after the hitch is in -- mask the rails and spray away . . .

I'm going to ask Trademasters (they're going to install the hitch), but thought the collective wisdom here would be invaluable!
Tom and Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 03:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsherrard View Post

New short bed F-150, installing a (sliding) hitch when picking up the 5.0TA in May. I'd like to have a bed liner, but of course it needs to coexist with the hitch rails. I'm assuming I can install the liner first, and the installer can 'just' cut away the liner for the rails. Or better to put the liner in after the hitch?

Another alternative would be a spray-on liner after the hitch is in -- mask the rails and spray away . . .

I'm going to ask Trademasters (they're going to install the hitch), but thought the collective wisdom here would be invaluable!
I would get a spray on liner before your hitch is installed. The hitch installer shouldn't have to remove any of it to install the rails.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 04:05 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Quote:

My truck came with a factory spray in bed-liner. It did not and has not created any problems with the hitch. Trademasters installed the hitch.
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 04:17 PM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I went with a rubber mat cut out for the rails.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:44 PM   #5

Trailer: 5.0TA 19 Aug 2016, 2012 Dodge RAM 1500, Andersen Hitch.
Bed liner vs 5th wheel hitch

Our 5.0TA will be delivered on 12 Aug '16. 2012 Dodge RAM 1500Quad Cab with a 6ft 4in box. I have a "rubber" mat type liner on the floor of the box and the tailgate. I have wondered about the mat vs the rails. At this point I am still planning on the Andersen ultimate hitch. I can see that holes for bolts and likely a couple of strips where the rails are, will likely be necessary. Whether that will be my DIY task after the installation or Trademasters is the question. There is some doubt in my mind that Trademaster will want to mess with it. Padlin can you provide more info on your situation.
Thanks. -Ethan
ethanallen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:15 PM   #6

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
Quote:

Trademasters also do spray on Line-x bed liner if you have time to have that done as well as them installing the hitch.

Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:20 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
If the "new" F150 is a 2015 with an aluminum body, the steel hitch rails MUST be isolated from the aluminum bed to prevent galvanic corrosion. A spray in bed liner will accomplish this. Therefore, if it is an all aluminum Ford, it would be best to spray in the liner before the hitch is installed. If a plastic liner is used, the rails cannot be on top of it. Same with a rubber mat. With either, some other form of aluminum to steel isolation would have to be used.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:30 PM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Ethan, I just cut out strips with a razor knife where the rails are, leaves me 3 rubber mats in the bed and 2 4" slices for the trash or whatever. I'll try to remember and take a picture tomorrow. I use a "Bedrug" tailgate mat, kind of a carpet thing.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:35 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post
Trademasters also do spray on Line-x bed liner if you have time to have that done as well as them installing the hitch.

Barry
I would highly recommend going this route. You could have the Line-X sprayed in before, or just have Tradmasters do it. It not only protects the bed, but the sidewalls too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:44 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
You could have the Line-X sprayed in before, or just have Tradmasters do it.
That makes sense to me, but allow enough time...
Quote:
LINE-X sets up in a about 3-5 seconds so it will definitely be ready to go when you pick up your truck. Wait about 24 hours for heavy duty use to allow it to fully cure.
from LINE-X Spray-On Truck Bedliners - Truck Accessories : Frequently Asked Questions
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:53 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
If the "new" F150 is a 2015 with an aluminum body, the steel hitch rails MUST be isolated from the aluminum bed to prevent galvanic corrosion. A spray in bed liner will accomplish this. Therefore, if it is an all aluminum Ford, it would be best to spray in the liner before the hitch is installed.
Good point. It might even be worth considering drilling the holes through the bed floor before spraying in a coating, for isolation at the hole edges.

This is Cequent's comment on this issue:
Quote:
Contact between any steel components (spacer blocks, frame brackets, etc.) and aluminum bed may cause corrosion. Insure that the paint is not damaged on the brackets and truck bed to avoid corrosion. Repaint any areas where holes were drilled through the bed.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote