Best (Favorite) Towing Mirrors? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2022, 09:29 PM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Best (Favorite) Towing Mirrors?

Never used extra towing mirrors with our Casita, but I'm thinking I'd like a little more view down the sides of our 2013 Expedition + Escape 21C rig, and especially better views when backing up on the passenger side.

I've seen older threads with discussions of mirrors, but the Search function on this site leaves much to be desired (like finding specific posts). So feel free to repeat: Which towing mirrors have you tried, which do you like, and what are the pros and cons of the various brands and types?
Old 07-17-2022, 09:35 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Milenco Grand Aeros, same set for 10 seasons. On the two Highlanders we’ve used them on, there has not been excessive vibration. easy to adjust, come with a bag, clean up nice when covered with bugs. Others will have their favorites, the Milencos are mine.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-17-2022, 10:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Hensley or Cipa door strap mirrors if there is not a bolt on option. I have a Ford Ranger and used the strap style until I could get some bolt on. I don’t have a picture handy, but the Hensley hitch website has pictures of the strap style which are cheaper as the CIpa brand, and ClearView and Boost make bolt on aftermarket towing mirrors for various vehicles. I used neoprene seat belt covers on the mirror straps to protect the paint until I got bolt on mirrors. Once the Cipa were finally worn in place after about 2000 miles, they could go on and off without adjustment. The bolt on have to be adjusted when they are extended or pushed back in. Both were pretty rigid / vibration resistant, but the Cipa slightly more so than the ClearView, which is the opposite of what I expected. All of the other add on mirrors, I have personally thought not very satisfactory due to vibration / adjustment. Dave really seems to like the clip on ones he has. I’d guess it depends a lot on the mirror to which you are clipping them. My factory towing mirrors on my full size ‘98 Chevy 2500 are rock solid.
brroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 11:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Looked at variety of Tow Mirrors. Easy decision: went with the original factory tow mirrors for the Tundra. Ties into the electrical system (defrost/signal lights). Work perfectly.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 01:46 AM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark James View Post
Looked at variety of Tow Mirrors. Easy decision: went with the original factory tow mirrors for the Tundra. Ties into the electrical system (defrost/signal lights). Work perfectly.
I talked to many friends and they all said the same thing. The clip on mirrors vibrate so bad they are useless. I found a set of Toyota OEM Toyota tow mirrors on Kijiji for a good price. They do take a little getting use to because of the dual pane.
Old 07-18-2022, 07:47 AM   #6
Site Team

I was thinking that the door-window-mount mirrors would be the most stable and least likely to fly off in the wind, e.g.
https://www.etrailer.com/Mirrors/CIPA/11650.html

But, "Note: Does not work with doors that have plastic body molding at the bottom of the door."

Yep, my Expy has it.
Old 07-18-2022, 08:00 AM   #7

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
an OE-type retrofit option

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
... I'm thinking I'd like a little more view down the sides of our 2013 Expedition + Escape 21C rig ...
Just FYI, Trail Ridge offers 'OE replica' mirrors to fit your 2013 Expedition, available from Amazon. Note there are different part number options depending on the OE mirror features on your Expedition (e.g. with / without 'memory', etc).

These for your '13 Expedition happen to be the same shape and size as the OE mirrors on my 2005 F150, I love them for both daily driving and towing use, but YMMV (they are large and they are there full-time). They are rock-solid and vibration-free.

Two things I particularly like about these 'OE-type' mirrors...
  • The upper pane is 'power adjust' using the existing OE switch that's on your driver's door for your original mirrors so it's easy to temporarily adjust either side to view a different-from-normal angle when backing while turning.
  • The adjustable (but not power) lower convex pane provides excellent 'blind-spot' monitoring all the time.
Just another option for your consideration, Have Fun!
Old 07-18-2022, 08:04 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Another vote for the Milenco Grand Aeros.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 09:59 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
What Mike and Iowa Dave said. Add my vote also for Milenco.
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 10:19 AM   #10

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
I don't know if these are the best or even my favorite since they are the only kind I have ever tried. But they work well and weren't expensive. They fit tight on the Tundra mirrors so they don't vibrate. I'm not crazy about the fasteners but they are secure and not too much trouble to take on and off. They adjust nicely and stay adjusted, you can still use the stock mirrors and they don't interfere with folding the mirrors in.

https://www.etrailer.com/Towing-Mirr...CM10000-2.html
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 11:14 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanandDaphne View Post
I don't know if these are the best or even my favorite since they are the only kind I have ever tried. But they work well and weren't expensive. They fit tight on the Tundra mirrors so they don't vibrate. I'm not crazy about the fasteners but they are secure and not too much trouble to take on and off. They adjust nicely and stay adjusted, you can still use the stock mirrors and they don't interfere with folding the mirrors in.

https://www.etrailer.com/Towing-Mirr...CM10000-2.html
I like the idea of the 'slip-on' extensions, but so far, of those I've looked at:

"NOT CONFIRMED TO FIT 2013 Ford Expedition"
Old 07-20-2022, 03:24 PM   #12
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
Mine for our Ford F150 (2018) are these:
https://www.americantrucks.com/f150-...ors-81850.html

They work well and don't vibrate out of place, even when you shut the door. I don't see a listing on the american trucks website for your vehicle, but they may be available elsewhere. When I have those on they almost look OEM.

I found these on etrailer and they indicate they fit a 2013 Expedition
https://www.etrailer.com/p-KS81800.h...del=Expedition
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 03:34 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
Never used extra towing mirrors with our Casita, but I'm thinking I'd like a little more view down the sides of our 2013 Expedition + Escape 21C rig, and especially better views when backing up on the passenger side.

I've seen older threads with discussions of mirrors, but the Search function on this site leaves much to be desired (like finding specific posts). So feel free to repeat: Which towing mirrors have you tried, which do you like, and what are the pros and cons of the various brands and types?
Bought OE Toyota tow mirrors off of Amazon...they work great. I had a couple of those strap on ones and hated them...too much vibration for me.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 07:16 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
These work great for me, no rattles, flawless fit.
https://www.etrailer.com/Towing-Mirr...ID=20215001372

I made an extra pair of metal straps in case the plastic ones fail…

But I’ve still got a great pair of McKesh mirrors that I’ve used on several previous trucks, without these new fangled plastic strap on mirrors, I’d be using them.
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 08:06 PM   #15

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
The basic tow mirrors that Boost auto has work great for our truck. You can pick them up on sale around US holidays, I think I got ours at Thanksgiving. I also bought (from Amazon) a auto apoulstry tool kit, it sure made the installation easier.

All the existing functions like heated and power adjustment work great with the new mirrors, and they extend and fold for towing or parking in tight spots.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 11:14 PM   #16

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
I have the K-Source Snap On mirrors. I believe they are just another brand name for the Snap’n Zaps that DT6 uses. I don’t find they vibrate at all. The Milenco look like a good option, too.
JeffinBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 12:32 AM   #17
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
My fav towing mirrors to date are the Ford 2008+ style mirrors I put on my 2002 F250. I got the Trail Ridge brand replicas from 1AAuto, direct bolt on and plug in. Big main mirror, big wide angle 2nd mirrors. They pull out for towing and I get great views on both sides
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 09:55 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT6 View Post
Mine for our Ford F150 (2018) are these:
https://www.americantrucks.com/f150-...ors-81850.html

They work well and don't vibrate out of place, even when you shut the door. I don't see a listing on the american trucks website for your vehicle, but they may be available elsewhere. When I have those on they almost look OEM.

I found these on etrailer and they indicate they fit a 2013 Expedition
https://www.etrailer.com/p-KS81800.h...del=Expedition

Unfortunately, eTrailer note says:
"Not Confirmed to Fit 2013 Ford Expedition."
Old 07-26-2022, 10:00 AM   #19
Site Team

Thanks for all the experience and suggestions.

The Trail Ridge OEM-type would clearly be superior, but they are expensive, and since we are only occasional campers (though my wife would prefer more traveling, I am a bit of a homebody), looks like the Milencos get the most votes, so maybe I'll try those.
Old 07-26-2022, 10:20 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
John in Santa Cruz.
Hi John, read about your mirrors earlier this year.Got them and lov'em on my 2003 F 250 SD.
My son has a 2008 and they are the same style.Easy mounting but did not bother with the electric or heat since I could not find a mechanic that would do the job.Great improvement.Now my son is also going to put them on a 2006 F 150.
Thanks for the info.
Allan Bornestig is offline   Reply With Quote