best hitch for 5.0 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-27-2022, 08:32 PM   #21

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary4run View Post
I have an Anderson hitch with my 2019 5.0 and love it. I would do it over again. Light weight and easy to remove and use. Make sure they install an electrical outlet in bed and in an easy location to reach without having to get into the bed. Not down too low in bed it higher up so you can easily reach.
Me too!... I was lucky enough to buy a used F150 during the height of covid...when nobody was buying anything. I got a F150 with 26,00 miles on it and universal bedrails installed in the bed. Fast forward, now have my 5.0 TA..
Old 04-28-2022, 02:41 PM   #22

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Pullrite hitch for 5.0TA

I went a different route and purchased a pullrite for the 5th wheel. It is essentially an inverted gooseneck on a 5th wheel base. A ball hitch is installed on the trailer pin and is lowered onto a funnel that guides it into the socket. No backing onto the hitch. Tight tolerances have eliminated virtually all the "hitch slop". The hitch weighs about 60 pounds, has a 20,000 pound capacity, and fits on the standard 5th wheel rails. Added bonus is that the ball is 2 to 3 inches in front of the pin, so I can now back directly to hitch without closing the tailgate. In case of emergency, the ball can be removed in 2 minutes with a couple of wrenches, returning the trailer to a 5th wheel config.
safetybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 04:08 AM   #23
Nan

Trailer: 2023 5.0
Trifold covers and Anderson hitch

“We were lucky to have a member here allow us to view their 5.0 and turnover ball Andersen hitch before purchasing. His complaint with the turnover ball version is the perimeter angle irons take up too much space, whereas the rail version has a much smaller footprint. We usually carry at least one trike and glad we purchased the rail version. The trike barely fits with the rail version and never would have fit with the turnover ball version.

The plastic tri-covers may hit the hitch, but our rollup toneau cover doesn't even come close.

Enjoy,

Perry[/QUOTE]”
————————————————-

Anyone have the Anderson hitch rail version with a tri-fold Tonneau cover? We would like to be able to keep ours in place in our 6’5 “ bed while towing. It would of course be folded up near the cab of the truck.

Thanks, Nancy
Nan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 04:19 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan View Post
“We were lucky to have a member here allow us to view their 5.0 and turnover ball Andersen hitch before purchasing. His complaint with the turnover ball version is the perimeter angle irons take up too much space, whereas the rail version has a much smaller footprint. We usually carry at least one trike and glad we purchased the rail version. The trike barely fits with the rail version and never would have fit with the turnover ball version.

The plastic tri-covers may hit the hitch, but our rollup toneau cover doesn't even come close.

Enjoy,

Perry
”
————————————————-

Anyone have the Anderson hitch rail version with a tri-fold Tonneau cover? We would like to be able to keep ours in place in our 6’5 “ bed while towing. It would of course be folded up near the cab of the truck.

Thanks, Nancy[/QUOTE]

I have the trifold cover (Ford) on a 6.5' bed F150. I use the Andersen rail version. No clearance issues while towing
Old 04-29-2022, 05:03 AM   #25
Nan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
”
————————————————-

Thanks, Nancy
I have the trifold cover (Ford) on a 6.5' bed F150. I use the Andersen rail version. No clearance issues while towing[/QUOTE]

Thanks SOFMERC. So many details to coordinate and potential mismatches of equipment. How are you liking your new 5.0? Anything you would have ordered differently? We are impatiently awaiting ours and compulsively reading posts about our future rig.

Nancy
Old 04-29-2022, 05:42 AM   #26

Quote:
I have the trifold cover (Ford) on a 6.5' bed F150. I use the Andersen rail version. No clearance issues while towing
Thanks SOFMERC. So many details to coordinate and potential mismatches of equipment. How are you liking your new 5.0? Anything you would have ordered differently? We are impatiently awaiting ours and compulsively reading posts about our future rig.

Nancy[/QUOTE]
I regret not getting the double entry step. Mine is a lifted 5.0 I use a platform step under the single step.
Old 04-29-2022, 12:45 PM   #27

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by safetybill View Post
I went a different route and purchased a pullrite for the 5th wheel. It is essentially an inverted gooseneck on a 5th wheel base. A ball hitch is installed on the trailer pin and is lowered onto a funnel that guides it into the socket. No backing onto the hitch. Tight tolerances have eliminated virtually all the "hitch slop". The hitch weighs about 60 pounds, has a 20,000 pound capacity, and fits on the standard 5th wheel rails. Added bonus is that the ball is 2 to 3 inches in front of the pin, so I can now back directly to hitch without closing the tailgate. In case of emergency, the ball can be removed in 2 minutes with a couple of wrenches, returning the trailer to a 5th wheel config.
This looks like a really good alternative to the Anderson. Heavier but still pretty light weight. https://www.pullrite.com/products/superlite

If you watch the video they also have an interesting removable bed rail system.
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 04:23 PM   #28

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Quote:
Quote:

Nancy
First, like sofmerc already told you, there is absolutely no issue between tri-fold cover and Andersen hitch. We have Andersen on rails.

Second, have you bought chains for your Andersen hitch - https://andersenhitches.com/products...ate-connection ? They provide a welcome safety factor and are also legally required in some states. You need to use the bigger eye bolts that come with it for it to work.

The other item you may consider is a lock. We also got a Ft Knox lock. It does give us some peace of mind in certain situations.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 03:50 AM   #29
Nan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
First, like sofmerc already told you, there is absolutely no issue between tri-fold cover and Andersen hitch. We have Andersen on rails.

Second, have you bought chains for your Andersen hitch - https://andersenhitches.com/products...ate-connection ? They provide a welcome safety factor and are also legally required in some states. You need to use the bigger eye bolts that come with it for it to work.

The other item you may consider is a lock. We also got a Ft Knox lock. It does give us some peace of mind in certain situations.
Thanks for the safety reminders! And the lock is a great idea. I know after waiting so long for our 5.0, I am going to have a hard time driving away from it the first time out.
Old 04-30-2022, 03:51 AM   #30
Nan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanandDaphne View Post
This looks like a really good alternative to the Anderson. Heavier but still pretty light weight. https://www.pullrite.com/products/superlite

If you watch the video they also have an interesting removable bed rail system.
That video of hooking it up sure makes it look easy. That’s not what you have though?
Old 04-30-2022, 10:32 AM   #31

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
Quote:
That video of hooking it up sure makes it look easy. That’s not what you have though?
No we have this basic fifth wheel hitch https://www.amazon.com/Pro-30128-Fif.../dp/B003JIIIJK

Also easy to hitch, and not too bad weight wise, it comes in two parts by pulling two pin then each part is manageable. Amazon says 30lbs but it is more like 70lbs. which is light for a fifth wheel hitch.
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote