Best Weight Distributing Hitch? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-27-2021, 02:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
Best Weight Distributing Hitch?

Looking at getting a new 21NE to replace our 17B. Plan on a new hitch also, but unsure about the ones ETI offers.

There are a lot of hitches on the market, but the Andersen seems to receive high ratings. I like the fact that it seems to dampen trailer pitching, a problem we have with our current hitch and trailer. It is somewhat expensive, though not the most expensive out there. It is apparently also fairly easy to install.

Are there other hitches that do a better job?

Is there any problem in installing and adjusting the trailer part of the hitch when you show up at ETI to pick up the trailer?
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 02:34 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
VERY happy with our combination of Andersen hitch and a Bulldog coupler. Easy on/off and rides nice. No issues when we picked up at Sumas.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 02:50 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
I like the Andersen WDH because it is light weight, is easy to install and can be stored in the ETI storage box when not in use instead putting it on the ground.

Tonny LR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 03:48 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by marant View Post
There are a lot of hitches on the market, but the Andersen seems to receive high ratings.

I'm happy with the $350 Pro Series I bought from ETI ( other than the weight of it ). Haven't had any issues with pitching. Perhaps your WDH was not installed and adjusted properly? Reace installed mine.
Old 08-27-2021, 04:16 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Best performing, or best overall including value considerations?

I really like the Hensley Cub hitch for a number of reasons. I believe the performance is unmatched. I like that all the heavy stuff stays on the trailer so I'm not lifting and shifting heavy stuff every time I hook up. I like the process and speed of connection compared to every other WDH.

But the cost is way out of line with other options. So I'd recommend it as 'best' in terms of performance but maybe not depending on value. It kind of comes down to how much you can afford to spend.

IMO most of the bar / friction type units are similar. They work pretty well and are totally adequate for an Escape. I hate the hitch up process and I hate the weight of the head unit.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 08:48 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Having used various rigid bar systems for over 20 years I recently changed to the Anderson system. I am very happy with it for several reasons. It is easy to use when hitching, it stores easily in the front box, it's much lighter than the bar systems, and it can be easily adjusted if my tongue weight changes due to a loading change. With a design tow capacity of 14klbs our Escape trailers are well below its limits. Do your own research but I would suggest you give the Anderson serious consideration.
Doug & Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 09:07 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'm happy with the $350 Pro Series I bought from ETI ( other than the weight of it ). Haven't had any issues with pitching. Perhaps your WDH was not installed and adjusted properly? Reace installed mine.
I second the pro series was the cheapest and has worked well for us.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 09:38 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Had the Pro Series that came with our first Escape- a used 17B. It was great and it went with the trailer when we sold it for a new 21. At that time in 2014 the Anderson was the the rave here so bought it. PITA to use and it wore out our coupler in two years. Went back to Pro Series and five years later it is still great and easy to use.
Old 08-31-2021, 03:21 PM   #9

Trailer: 2019 19 ft.
Hensley Cub WDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
Best performing, or best overall including value considerations? I really like the Hensley Cub hitch for a number of reasons.
100% concur. We have a Hensley Arrow hitch on our Escape 19' and our 30' Airstream Classic. Our daughter has the Hensley Cub on their Escape 21'. Hensley is the best WDH. It is more expensive, but we have been using ours for 18+ years.

73/gus
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 05:13 PM   #10

I think the Hensley Cub is $3000.00 ?
Old 08-31-2021, 06:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
I think the Hensley Cub is $3000.00 ?

Not unless they've raised the price a lot. I think they are more like $1800, and if you look for a while you can find used ones for even less.
Old 08-31-2021, 10:08 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 19" Escape
We use the Blue Ox WDH and it works very well.
lonewolfjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 10:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Not unless they've raised the price a lot. I think they are more like $1800, and if you look for a while you can find used ones for even less.
Ah maybe it was the larger one. Still that's a chunk of change .
Old 09-01-2021, 06:19 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
Ah maybe it was the larger one. Still that's a chunk of change .

Correct. That was exactly the point I was making in my first post. In terms of performance I feel like the Hensley is the best and there are a lot of things about how it is used that I much prefer over a friction/bar system (that I've used before). The biggest thing for me is getting away from risking injury bending over and lifting / shifting a heavy head unit. I'm not getting any younger.

But they are also expensive, so in terms of pure value it's a tougher proposition. So ultimately I say I recommend them, but if you can't afford it then understand that any of the friction/bar systems on the market will work fine on an Escape.
Old 09-01-2021, 10:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Correct. That was exactly the point I was making in my first post. In terms of performance I feel like the Hensley is the best and there are a lot of things about how it is used that I much prefer over a friction/bar system (that I've used before). The biggest thing for me is getting away from risking injury bending over and lifting / shifting a heavy head unit. I'm not getting any younger.

But they are also expensive, so in terms of pure value it's a tougher proposition. So ultimately I say I recommend them, but if you can't afford it then understand that any of the friction/bar systems on the market will work fine on an Escape.
Thanks for the information, the nice thing about something like it is that it will span trailers if you change. I’d buy one if I can afford it, the installation of the friction bar wd is a little pia, but so far I’m able to deal with it. In 7 or 8 years, it may become a problem (I’m 69) . Thanks for your information again.
Old 09-01-2021, 11:51 AM   #16

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21 NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by marant View Post
Looking at getting a new 21NE to replace our 17B. Plan on a new hitch also, but unsure about the ones ETI offers.

There are a lot of hitches on the market, but the Andersen seems to receive high ratings. I like the fact that it seems to dampen trailer pitching, a problem we have with our current hitch and trailer. It is somewhat expensive, though not the most expensive out there. It is apparently also fairly easy to install.

Are there other hitches that do a better job?

Is there any problem in installing and adjusting the trailer part of the hitch when you show up at ETI to pick up the trailer?
I used an Equalizer WDH on my prior trailer and loved towing with it. For my Escape we bought the Fastway E2 Trunnion WDH (a little bit cheaper than the Equalizer), and don't see an appreciable difference between it and the Equalizer. We picked up our trailer in SLC and towed it to Texas without the WDH just cause I didn't get around to setting up the Fastway on the trip. It was fine without it but there is a noticeable difference when towing with the WDH and I wouldn't be without it. A high quality WDH with sway control is a great investment and could make a huge difference in an emergency situation or high winds. Not to mention that everything just looks better when the trailer and TV are perfectly level.
GregColdewey is offline   Reply With Quote