Bike rack hitch suggestions - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-12-2021, 03:01 PM   #21

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i use the swagman RV rated not expensive fits on my 5.0. I got the fat tire holder for my electric bike. The one up looks really nice but so expensive.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 04:55 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom&Joan View Post
Given that the spare tire on our 5.0TA extends past the face of the receiver, is the shank on a 1Up rack long enough to go in to the receiver a sufficient amount?
With the bikes on, rack extended flat, that won't be any problem. It could be a problem, empty, rack on the 90 degree folded up position depending upon how thick your tire happens to be. However, you don't need to fold up to 90 degrees if you need more room. The rack can be tilted outward. There are several lock points less than a full 90 degrees so you can get the shank further into the reciever. 1UP planned for that case it seems.
Jack! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 08:41 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Thanks Jack! I did measure the distance the rear face of the spare tire is from the end of the receiver, about 5". Prior to measuring I would have expected a greater distance. I do want the bikes to be vertical. If need be I can fabricate an extension for the receiver. Neither of the two bikes are heavy.
Tom&Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:06 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Thanks Jack! I did measure the distance the rear face of the spare tire is from the end of the receiver, about 5". Prior to measuring I would have expected a greater distance. I do want the bikes to be vertical. If need be I can fabricate an extension for the receiver. Neither of the two bikes are heavy.
I think there is a misunderstanding. I will try to explain better. When I say 90 degrees, I mean 90 degrees at the shank & reciever. So loaded with bikes upright on the rack the shank and reciever are straight. Spare shouldn't be a problem with bikes loaded and shank straight into the reciever. However, when bikes are not on the rack, it folds up out of the way. Max is 90 degrees to the reciever but you can fold the rack up and lock it less at than 90 degrees to accommodate a thicker spare tire situation. Hope this helps.
Jack! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:28 PM   #25

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
This is what can go wrong

Here are a couple of pictures that showed up on the Escape FB group this past weekend. It happened when going over a railroad crossing - two bikes on a receiver mounted rack. No details beyond that. 2nd picture is showing that the inboard rail where the receiver was mounted is bent upwards.
Attached Thumbnails
torn hitch.jpg   bent hitch rail.jpg  
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 12:30 AM   #26
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRL View Post
We use the 1UP and recommend it unreservedly. It’s expensive, but you get what you pay for in this case. It locks into the hitch receiver very tightly, and has a solid and easy-to-use on/off mechanism for the bikes. In the past we’ve used Yakima products, and find this to be far superior.
I second the motion for 1Up's.... I've used a lot of hitch mounted bike racks over the years, and this is by far the nicest made, most secure, and easiest to put your bikes on. I got the 2" SuperDuty Double to carry our two ebikes, and hauled them a few 100 miles of back roads, often quite rough this weekend on the back of our E21. I will note that 1Up probably won't work well on a bike with full fenders, as it secures the bikes in place via their wheels, and a full fender on the rear wheel at least would be in the way.

(inner bike is a 26" 'step through', outer bike is my 700x40 hybrid, both bikes electrified. with the batteries removed, I'm right around the weight limit.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 07:50 AM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
Quote:
Given that the spare tire on our 5.0TA extends past the face of the receiver, is the shank on a 1Up rack long enough to go in to the receiver a sufficient amount?
Yes. No problem.
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:51 PM   #28

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I second the motion for 1Up's.... I've used a lot of hitch mounted bike racks over the years, and this is by far the nicest made, most secure, and easiest to put your bikes on. I got the 2" SuperDuty Double to carry our two ebikes, and hauled them a few 100 miles of back roads, often quite rough this weekend on the back of our E21. I will note that 1Up probably won't work well on a bike with full fenders, as it secures the bikes in place via their wheels, and a full fender on the rear wheel at least would be in the way.

(inner bike is a 26" 'step through', outer bike is my 700x40 hybrid, both bikes electrified. with the batteries removed, I'm right around the weight limit.
I have the 1 UP bike rack, heavy duty for the 2" receiver. I have 2 touring bikes with full fenders. 1UP supplies some foam tubes similair to tubes you would put around plumbing. These foam tubes go over your fenders, and you can use their mechanism to secure the bikes. It doesn't look like it would work, but it works great, so bottom line no problem if you have full fenders
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 07:31 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post
I have the 1 UP bike rack, heavy duty for the 2" receiver. I have 2 touring bikes with full fenders. 1UP supplies some foam tubes similair to tubes you would put around plumbing. These foam tubes go over your fenders, and you can use their mechanism to secure the bikes. It doesn't look like it would work, but it works great, so bottom line no problem if you have full fenders
ah, k. i've had both aluminum and plastic full fenders, and I'm not sure I'd trust either of them to hold the bike in place as well as the 1up arm directly on the tire.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:43 PM   #30

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
I know what you mean with the 1UP arms really biting into the tires, but it does hold a bike in very securely with that styrofoam bit they supply for the fenders. I have only used it on plastic fenders and it works great. Can't comment on aluminum fenders as I haven't ever tried it.
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 08:01 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by casejh View Post
Yes. No problem.
casejh Thanks much!
Old 04-13-2021, 08:02 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack! View Post
I think there is a misunderstanding. I will try to explain better. When I say 90 degrees, I mean 90 degrees at the shank & reciever. So loaded with bikes upright on the rack the shank and reciever are straight. Spare shouldn't be a problem with bikes loaded and shank straight into the reciever. However, when bikes are not on the rack, it folds up out of the way. Max is 90 degrees to the reciever but you can fold the rack up and lock it less at than 90 degrees to accommodate a thicker spare tire situation. Hope this helps.
Jack! Thanks. Got it.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:31 AM   #33

Trailer: 2020 5.0
I am using the Swagman Escapee and it easily clears the spare tire. Very robust and easy to use.
Raypat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 11:54 AM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
My 1up setup on my Escape 19 with an extension, without it the bike's handlebar comes in contact with the back window. Used it for several thousand miles mostly with one 40 pound bike, sometimes with a second 30 pound bike. Note this is an older version without a slot in the hitch bar.
Attached Thumbnails
ExtendedHitch.jpg  
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 11:54 AM   #35

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
I have the swagman traveler XC2 and it has worked well on both my Escape 21 and my pickup truck. My only complaint is on the escape when I travel with two bikes, the spare tire blocks the inside bicycle. I get around this by removing the spare tire (putting in my truck bed), but of course this is tedious and unpleasant. I have recommended to escape (they haven't taken me up on it) that they extend the hitch receiver, which is flush with the bumper, out 6 inches so one gets full use of any carrier with the spare tire in place.
johnp271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 12:49 PM   #36

Trailer: 1996 Nash
Check out shuttlerack.com. Made in Chilliwack. Configure for 2, 4, or 6 bikes. I carry 3 e-bikes on PU. ( haven’t tried it on trailer, but should be good..very solidly built). Give Wes a call @ shuttleracks..
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 01:03 PM   #37

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I second the motion for 1Up's.... I've used a lot of hitch mounted bike racks over the years, and this is by far the nicest made, most secure, and easiest to put your bikes on.
1 UP Bike Rack ... the best, worth every penny!
https://www.1up-usa.com/product-category/bike-racks/

We also bought the license plate holder with the light bar.
https://www.1up-usa.com/product/led-...late-holder-2/

It bolts to bottom center of the bike rack, so that the license plate and turn signal/brake lights are always visible even when we cover our bikes with a bike bag. I want to avoid police officers looking for minor infractions to make some money from out-of-town vacationers travelling through their counties.

Ron
1996-2005: 1987 Award 23'
RonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 01:59 PM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Check out shuttlerack.com. Made in Chilliwack. Configure for 2, 4, or 6 bikes. I carry 3 e-bikes on PU. ( haven’t tried it on trailer, but should be good..very solidly built). Give Wes a call @ shuttleracks..
guessing you meant https://shuttlerack.ca/ as the domain you referenced leads to a bunch of redirects to a domain harvester

FWIW, nowhere do I see they claim its RV rated
Old 04-14-2021, 02:29 PM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raypat View Post
I am using the Swagman Escapee and it easily clears the spare tire. Very robust and easy to use.
i had one of those, and the locks jammed on the sliding hook clamps, and the pivots all froze up after just a year or so. yes, it was 'stored' outside attached to the trailer. I replaced it with the 1Up Super Double and am totally happy with that choice.
Old 04-14-2021, 02:55 PM   #40

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19, 2015
Another vote for the 1-up

My preferred way to carry my bikes is with a fork mount bike rack on the roof of my Highlander. It keeps the bikes completely out of the way and nothing touches the frame. But since I frequently carry kayaks on the Highlander roof, I’ve gone to the 1-Up behind the trailer. As others have said, it’s very stable and nothing touches the frame during travel.
wolfnjan is offline   Reply With Quote