Bike rack hitch suggestions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-09-2021, 03:49 PM   #1

Trailer: put down deposit for Escape 19' Delivery date 12-9-2021
Red face Bike rack hitch suggestions

this is a post for those that are also biking enthusiasts. I am looking into a bike rake hitch that will be compatible for both my Toyota Tacoma 4wd and my future Escape 19, I know that I need a 2" hitchI with a load of no more than 150 lb but in going over reviews there are apparently other factors that are not spelled out. What our folks experience with switching bike rack hitches between trucks and trailers? Any recommendations. Thank you
dblagsvedt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 04:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19 / 2011 Nissan Frontier
Are you planning to have a canopy on the truck? We hoped our north shore rack would work for us but it's not RV rated. In the end we just use a tailgate bike pad so we don't have to use a hitch at all.
bookerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 06:41 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
We tow our E19 with a 2017 Tacoma with a canopy. We have a Yakima Holdup +2 bike rack. It's a good rack and we've used it successfully with the truck and our car. However, the first time we used it behind the camper on a 200-mile trip the rack loosened up quite a bit. For the trip home I bungeed it tight as best I could. I later learned some Yakimas are prone to this and a fix was easily found online. I also learned many bike racks are not RV rated, including our Yakima. With that knowledge, we bit the bullet and ordered an RV-rated 1Up Super Duty bike rack, which should arrive in a few weeks. Hope this helps. -Tom
mtnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 11:53 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 19 in 2019, Escape 15a in 2014, Scamp 13 in 2006
I am an avid cyclist and investigated the bike rack issue carefully. We always take 2 bikes when travelling. We have an Escape 19 and also a Toyota Highlander.
I think it’s very important to buy a bike rack that is RV compatible. I have the Swagman Dispatch. On the back of any trailer such as the Escape 19, there is a significant amount of bouncing and movement and therefore the RV specific rack is so important. The Swagman specifically has a bolt that is the pin which attaches the rack to the hitch. This bolt needs to be tightened and will eliminate any “play” between the rack and the hitch. The Swagman Dispatch does not fold down so we can’t get into the back of the Highlander when the rack is on the car. It’s not an issue for us. It is important to recognize that a rack that folds down has more connections that are not fixed and tight. All these connections jostle and move and will eventually wear larger and larger gaps where ever there are pins through metal. Hence a rack that does not fold down is better, but also means less flexible when on the back of a truck or SUV. And finally this specific rack is longer and raised a bit higher so that it extends far enough to avoid the spare tire and high enough to not bottom out when there are dips in the road or driveways etc.
Other companies make similar RV compatible racks - I happened to like the Swagman Dispatch.
Windymountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 12:14 AM   #5

yes, i have a canopy on my truck.
Old 04-10-2021, 12:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookerb View Post
Are you planning to have a canopy on the truck? We hoped our north shore rack would work for us but it's not RV rated. In the end we just use a tailgate bike pad so we don't have to use a hitch at all.
Yes I have a canopy on the truck already.
Old 04-10-2021, 07:41 AM   #7

Trailer: Hello Hakuna Matata (Escape 19) bye bye Aliner
An easy way to eliminate the play on the bike rack and trailer hitch is to drill and tap the hitch at about an inch and a half in front past the middle of the tube (measuring front the front of the trailer). A 5/16 or 3/8 bolt is enough. By all mean use a stainless steel bold and a second nut to lock it in place to prevent seizing. About 15 minutes in time. You have to by a drill and tap sized together.

After inserting the pin, tight the bolt, than the second nut and voila.
hondasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:45 AM   #8
LRL

Trailer: E23Q; previously: 2017 E21
We use the 1UP and recommend it unreservedly. It’s expensive, but you get what you pay for in this case. It locks into the hitch receiver very tightly, and has a solid and easy-to-use on/off mechanism for the bikes. In the past we’ve used Yakima products, and find this to be far superior.
Arcata, CA
LRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 01:05 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblagsvedt View Post
this is a post for those that are also biking enthusiasts. I am looking into a bike rake hitch that will be compatible for both my Toyota Tacoma 4wd and my future Escape 19, I know that I need a 2" hitchI with a load of no more than 150 lb but in going over reviews there are apparently other factors that are not spelled out. What our folks experience with switching bike rack hitches between trucks and trailers? Any recommendations. Thank you
Avid biker for many yrs here. I've been using the 2 bike version of the 1UP in my 2" reciever on several different vehicles and trailers. It's very secure in the reciever and all aluminum so lasts. Mine has to be 10 yrs old and still works and looks new. 1UP was one of the few none hanger types back then, that now many types have adopted. Not a fan of hanger bike racks here.
Jack! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 04:42 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Using bike carriers for many years, for the last few 1UP heavy duty for two bikes. Used it with bikes wheels 26" - 29", heaviest is my ebike, 50 pounds (when I'm to lazy to take the battery of). Made in USA, all metal, and just works. Availability could be an issue, I was just stopped by an Escape 19 owner still waiting for the one he ordered in February.
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 06:42 PM   #11

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
I also use the 1 UP Bike Rack. I had heard once that is was one of the few bike racks that were recommended to use on trailers due to how tight they fit in the receiver, reducing the bouncing effect. My experience has been fantastic both on the trailer or on the back of the truck when not towing. We have the 2 bike set up. They are expensive for sure, but I think it is well worth the expense. I also got the optional storage bracket which I attached to a wall in my garage and it works like a charm to store the rack when not using it. I would highly recommend.
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:30 PM   #12

AFter doing so more research and hearing what you folks have suggested i am going with the 1UP Heavy Duty Double Back. Thanks for your responses
Old 04-10-2021, 11:14 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Good choice! We have the 1UP on our Escape and love it.

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 02:41 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 5.0
I'll be trying my current bike rack on my 5.0 for the first time next week when I take my maiden voyage. It is a Thule T2 Pro XT and it is not RV rated, but I'm going to give it a college try first because good racks (like the 1Up) are hard to come by right now, and I'm hoping I can save the $$$ and use this one. This rack does work great on my TV, it's really easy to remove it from the trailer and put it on the truck. I've had other non-RV-rated racks on other trailers in the past, and I always did things to help them, like beefing up the welding on the bumper and hitch, and using tie-downs to secure the bike and make it bounce less. For this one, the bumper and hitch seem plenty strong to me, I may or may not use tie-downs, there will be some trial and error. For this trip it'll only be 1 bike which is a fat tire e-bike; future trips will have 2. I'll report back here...worst case, I'll be ordering my 1Up when I get back...
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20210411_192257391.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2021, 04:08 PM   #15

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
I didn't know

I didn't know there are RV rated bike racks. I've used a Craigslist acquired hitch rack with 2 bikes and not had an issue.......so far. I'm sure this bike rack is sub-optimal, but so are my 28 year old Schwin bikes.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 11:49 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
I also use a 1 UP bike rack for my electric bike. I ordered the fat tire option because ....
I'd also like to remind those ordering trailers to get the high stop / turn signals. They are up above the upper edge of the rear window. During my build I ordered this option just because I was interested in the extra visibility. Guess I lucked out because at the time, I wasn't thinking about my bike blocking my brake lights when mounted in the rear receiver. These high mounted lights should be standard equipment.

Tom

Tom
Old 04-12-2021, 12:13 AM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
I'd also like to remind those ordering trailers to get the high stop / turn signals. ...Tom

We want to emphasize Tom's excellent suggestion, we got the high lights on our Escape, for when we carry bikes; they sure light up the vehicles behind you when you hit the brakes. Great safety device.
Attached Thumbnails
090.jpg  
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 07:52 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
We want to emphasize Tom's excellent suggestion, we got the high lights on our Escape, for when we carry bikes; they sure light up the vehicles behind you when you hit the brakes. Great safety device.
I believe they are standard height and operate as both stop, turn, and brake functions...
Old 04-12-2021, 09:21 AM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblagsvedt View Post
We use a Swagman 2 bike rack with the loops for the tires and the hooks to go over the top tube of the bike. It works very well and is rv rated. If your bikes are not too heavy you can even transfer the rack from trailer to truck with the bikes on the rack with two people. Don't bother with the locking pin it is a piece of crap and does not hold up...I had to cut mine off when the lock would not open. The threaded bolt does work and keeps the rack nice and tight. I just pass a cable lock through the rack and bikes and lock it to the trailer bumper or the safety chain loop on the truck.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 02:42 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Given that the spare tire on our 5.0TA extends past the face of the receiver, is the shank on a 1Up rack long enough to go in to the receiver a sufficient amount?
Tom&Joan is offline   Reply With Quote