Body Lift - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2022, 07:36 AM   #1

Trailer: 2022 E19
Body Lift

I've been thinking about this option for our future E19 and questioning the pros and cons.
From the research I've done it seems to provide 2 benefits; ground clearance for tanks, bumpers, etc and for providing extra height if you tow with a full size truck.
We are shopping for a new vehicle and are looking at mid-size trucks, ie Ranger, Frontier, Colorado.
How important is the body lift?
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 08:01 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
We have a lift on our 15B and our 19' has no lift. I have driven on some rough roads and have noticed no issues with clearances on either trailer. Greatest benefit of the lift for me is it makes it easier to crawl under the trailer for maintenance or repairs if necessary.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 08:12 AM   #3

Trailer: 2021 21C
I initially thought I would need and want the body lift. I finally decided it would be easy enough and cheaper to add later if I ran into clearance issues. I must say I am glad I saved the money, plenty of clearance and saves a few dollars on the MPG.
Ryan
Ryanb-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 08:28 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Other than cost and air drag, I fail to see any benefit of the increased height....
Old 03-10-2022, 08:49 AM   #5

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I got the lift for peace of mind and the foam. It’s certainly not essential, but I’m happy with it. I tow mostly with a 2021 Ranger. I also tow occasionally with 1998 C2500. Both are fine, and would also work without the lift. I have scraped the 2500 wdh hitch on a couple of really steep drives. I have not yet had the Ranger on a drive that steep.
brroberts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 08:51 AM   #6

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
I originally had the lift kit on the build sheet. Logic was initially based on potential off road jaunts and concern about our steep driveway transition.

Then, after I got confirmation as to real world height for our build, I realized that the lift meant I couldn’t move the camper under the breezeway between our house and garage should I want to work on it in the back.

Ended up comparing distance from rear axle to the rear bumper to the overhang on our old Class C which barely made the driveway transition and determined that the standard height on the 21C could make it up the driveway without bottoming out. Then I changed the build and dropped lift kit. The camper also clears the breezeway roof by 1.5”. All is well and I really have no interest in driving on rutted or rocky roads. Them days are behind me.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 08:55 AM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Personally I would start without it. Can always add it later if you feel the need...
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...iABEgLu1_D_BwE
Old 03-10-2022, 09:54 AM   #8

Driveway approach & departure angles are why I am getting it.

My drive has a dip in it at just the wrong place.

Though my prior longer (27') trailer had "wheelie wheels" on the back bumper (factory?) it drug anyways...............

Some gas stations, etc., are like ski slopes.

More of an item on longer trailers, but....................
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 10:10 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Other than cost and air drag, I fail to see any benefit of the increased height....
When you stay at some RV full hookup campsites, the extra lift is almost necessary to get enough drain height for the sewer to drain completely.

A number of RV campsites have the sewer drain connection installed high above the ground to prevent rain water from entering. That extra height sometimes gets the top of the sewer drain connection higher than the drain connection on the standard height Escape trailer - liquid stuff doesn't go uphill well. The lift kit gets a few inches more height difference for the drain which, on my trailer, has made all the difference between a sewer drain that self drains and one the would require me to do the hand slinky walkdown to get the "stuff" out of the hose.

I had the lift kit on my previous Casita and have the lift kit on my Escape. After the number of campsites that the lift kit has made all the difference, I would not consider buying another without it.

Along that same thread, you will need a board to hold the sewer hose up or some type of sewer support to prevent the hose droop. I use the one listed below.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 03-10-2022, 10:12 AM   #10

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
We go places with dips and have scraped both our Scamp and Casita. With our 5.0 with the lift kit we have yet to scrape, but one time we were about an inch from the rear hitting. The 5.0 is similar to pulling a 17' Escape, with a 19 maybe it would have hit, but the 21 I'm sure it would have hit.

So if you don't go BLM'ing you'll be just fine though.

When crawling underneath the camper 2 1/2" is real and at my age want that extra clearance. That was enough for me. In addition, if I don't watch how I bend when lowering or raising the stabilizer jacks my back will ache for the rest of the day, so that 2 1/2" helps.

I seriously doubt there is any real measurable mpg difference with the lift. We raised our Jayco 5th wheel 6" and never saw a difference in gas mileage. What you pack and how you drive yes, but 2 1/2" seriously?

Of course if you're buying a 5.0 most 1/2 ton truck beds need that lift kit to clear the bed.

Food for thought,

Perry
Old 03-10-2022, 10:45 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I never got the lift on either Escape trailer.

I have had a steep driveway.
I regularly drive on gravel roads and off road trails.
I have been across lots of rough terrain.
I have fueled at every type of station there is.

In some places I approached cautiously to ensure adequate clearance and never an issue, lots of clearance.

I am careful with the frame over the terrify need, but again never an issue.

At first with mounting my spare under the front of the trailer I wondered if I might need to add the lift, but it really has yet to be even close.

I am glad I never got the lift. Escape trailers are built with excellent clearance stock. Many get it just in case like other options, but if you ever felt the need for it, it is a fairly simple thing to add.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 11:16 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I never got the lift on either Escape trailer.

I have had a steep driveway.
I regularly drive on gravel roads and off road trails.
I have been across lots of rough terrain.
I have fueled at every type of station there is.

In some places I approached cautiously to ensure adequate clearance and never an issue, lots of clearance.

I am careful with the frame over the terrify need, but again never an issue.

At first with mounting my spare under the front of the trailer I wondered if I might need to add the lift, but it really has yet to be even close.

I am glad I never got the lift. Escape trailers are built with excellent clearance stock. Many get it just in case like other options, but if you ever felt the need for it, it is a fairly simple thing to add.
I agree, never been an issue for me despite some pretty rough roads. High sewer dumps aren't an issue for me. There's one place in Baja where they're about 6" above the surface. I just pick up the hose close to the trailer and lift it up a few times and I'm done. I wouldn't have a high lift because of that.

I've spent a few hours under my trailer. Height isn't an issue for me. I can see though if you have sprayed insulation that you couldn't slide under the water tank like I can without running the wheels up on some blocks.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
17-01-2016 4-06-17 PM03_resize.jpg   PA100005_resize.jpg   PA100006_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 11:24 AM   #13

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I agree, never been an issue for me despite some pretty rough roads. High sewer dumps aren't an issue for me. There's one place in Baja where they're about 6" above the surface. I just pick up the hose close to the trailer and lift it up a few times and I'm done. I wouldn't have a high lift because of that.

I've spent a few hours under my trailer. Height isn't an issue for me. I can see though if you have sprayed insulation that you couldn't slide under the water tank like I can without running the wheels up on some blocks.

Ron
Are you aware that there appears to be a body under your camper?
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 11:27 AM   #14

Thanks folks. We signed off on our build sheet and I didn't include the lift. Years ago we had a small (19') fifth wheel that needed to be lifted and my brother-in-law did it in his driveway.
I feel comfortable that we won't need it.
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 11:32 AM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You don't have a beer gut Ron.
I expect you have a belly button. Innie or outie?
Old 03-10-2022, 03:17 PM   #16

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I got the lift kit at the recommendation of ETI due to the height of my bed rails and tailgate. They recommend the lift if height is above 56". I realize people have used unlifted 5.0's with 56" and higher but I will go with factory advice
Old 03-10-2022, 03:56 PM   #17

Trailer: 2016 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
Thanks folks. We signed off on our build sheet and I didn't include the lift. Years ago we had a small (19') fifth wheel that needed to be lifted and my brother-in-law did it in his driveway.
I feel comfortable that we won't need it.
Smart move, imho. We needed the lift option it to clear the departure angle in our driveway, but haven't had the need for it while camping. I would add, if anyone considers getting the lift option, that they also get the "Double Step Entry Step" option, as the hop down with the lift option and "base steps" is, to me, sometimes concerning.
Bill_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 04:08 PM   #18

Trailer: 2021 5.0
I have the lift, with my Tundra bed height it fell into the recommended lift range. I do like the extra space when going underneath but it does make the steps a little more of a climb, get double steps for sure. I did have the entry door handle lowered because of the extra lift.
Innie here…
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 05:28 PM   #19

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
We are going without the because we prefer the lower overall height while towing.

If push comes to shove and we find out we need a lift kit I can buy one and put it on. It's pretty simple to do.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 04:36 PM   #20

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
I've been thinking about this option for our future E19 and questioning the pros and cons.
From the research I've done it seems to provide 2 benefits; ground clearance for tanks, bumpers, etc and for providing extra height if you tow with a full size truck.
We are shopping for a new vehicle and are looking at mid-size trucks, ie Ranger, Frontier, Colorado.
How important is the body lift?
Just for clarity...
The optional lift kit is not a body lift (lifting just the body above the frame), it lifts the body and frame; you need the frame higher to get the tongue and coupler higher (improved approach angle), and for better ground clearance for the trailer's bumper (improved departure angle).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote