Brake Controller Necessary? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-25-2021, 10:14 PM   #1

Trailer: N/a
Brake Controller Necessary?

Is it necessary to have a separate brake controller when towing? I have a Subaru Ascent and on some forums, they Subaru says they recommend it for any towing over 1,000 lbs. I haven’t been using one.
Jbpouns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 12:07 AM   #2

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
Are you asking whether it makes sense to actually utilize the electric brakes on an Escape trailer?

If you want to use them, you need a controller. I cannot imagine having trailer brakes and not using them.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 02:49 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
escapes weigh as much as 5000 lbs, and nearly every state requires braking on any trailer over some very minimal weight, so yes, you need a brake controller as without one, the electric brakes on the trailer are just dead weight.

if you have, say, a 3500 lb trailer (an older smaller Escape with single axles probably is around 3500 lb GWR), and no trailer brakes, and your tow vehicle has to brake hard ... maybe someone cut you off, maybe you come around a blind turn on a mountain road, and there';s a rock in the middle of your lane... the trailer can swing around and flip your tow vehicle over ('jack knife').

I had a hitch fail once, where the 4500 lb trailer came unhitched from my 8800 lb F250, and was wildly wagging back and forth on the safety chains. using the manual brake override on the brake controller, brought the trailer back under control, so I could then brake the vehicle down to a crawl and pull onto the narrow gravel shoulder. without that manual braking capability, it would have been a disaster, and easily could have totalled both the trailer and truck.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 03:19 AM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Brake controller

One is NECESSARY, and required by state laws.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 08:36 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbpouns View Post
Is it necessary to have a separate brake controller when towing? I have a Subaru Ascent and on some forums, they Subaru says they recommend it for any towing over 1,000 lbs. I haven’t been using one.
Hi: Jbpouns... It sure is when the "Tail starts wagging the dog". To counteract trailer sway you need to let off the gas and pinch the trailer brake control. That's a lot to remember in a panic!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 08:39 AM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I had a small trailer under 1000 lbs and didn't need or use one. My first Escape (15a) was about 2000 lbs and when the wiring in the vehicle gave me a problem so I had no brakes on the trailer, I'd feel it bump the tow ball every time I stopped (on a trip with minimal hills). Luckily I never had to do a panic stop. At the very least you are making your car brakes work very hard and they'll wear a lot faster.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 08:52 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
My good friend tows a 27 foot airstream , he was out west in the mountains and didn’t notice that his brake controller cable was not fully seated. The brakes got very very hot in his truck and he was lucky to stop. I believe he had to replace warped rotors and a complete fluid change as the brake fluid boiled. I always check mine twice now.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 09:15 AM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
If you do not have trailer brakes, the trailer will push the car on long downhill runs.

That is extremely dangerous. And you basically have no way to stop it. Your car brakes will wear out sooner too.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote