Brake Controller wiring for a 2017 Ford Explorer - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2019, 06:16 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 17B
Brake Controller wiring for a 2017 Ford Explorer

I spent today installing a 7 pin wiring harness and the brake controller wiring in my 2017 Ford Explorer. Upon putting the 30A brake controller fuse into the engine fuse box, I noticed that there is only a single blade in the fuse receptacle where all the other similar fuses (J-style) have two blades.

Parts of my wiring related to brake lights, turn signals, and running lights function, but I'm not getting 12V power to the contoller harness or the 7 pin in back.

I suspect there is something between my battery and fuse box that I don't have (hence the missing fuse blade), but haven't been able to identify what that would be (and don't have the correct language for a successful online search).

Do any of you fine folk have suggestions that might get me situated?

Thanks in advance for any guidance!
abaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 08:46 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Do you have the relays in the required positions?

According to the fuse information section near the end of the 2015 Explorer manual (the year I happen to have on file), the relevant fuse/relay panel positions includes #12, "Trailer tow battery charge relay"... in addition to the 30 amp fuses in #24 (for "Trailer tow battery charge") and #3 (for "Trailer brake control module"). There are also relays and fuses for the trailer lights, but you must have those because the lights work.

If you don't have the relays, perhaps you have a wiring harness which is missing some connections, including the pin for that fuse. Does the vehicle have the optional (but included in some trim and engine combinations) "Class III Trailer Tow Package"?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:48 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 17B
Good guidance!

Looks like I've got 2 of the necessary fuses missing. One for the battery charge relay and one for brake controller, which would totally align with the stuff that isn't working.

Next up is to get fuses, and based upon only having a single terminal in each of those two spots, I bet I get to add a couple terminals to the fuse block. Here's hoping the terminal I do have is the harness-half!
abaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:50 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
In past tow wiring projects for my vehicles and others, I've found that, if the vehicle did not have the mfr's tow package option, the fuse panel sometimes had the pin from the main wiring loom in the fuse panel, but had only the space for the secondary pin or terminal that would connect to the trailer wiring, but no metal terminal or clip. This sounds like that situation, in which case some jury rigging may be in order.

What we have done before is connect wiring to the single pin in the fuse block using a male spade, then connect to our trailer wiring, but have an in-time fuse for circuit protection for each circuit; relays were used as necessary for current overload protection as well.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 03:05 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 4wheel / 2019 E19
Do you really need to have a break controller for an Escape 19' pulled by a F150 or Ram1500 with tow pkg? new to this type of camping... just got an Escape 2019 , 19'
bozbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 03:23 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozbie View Post
Do you really need to have a break controller for an Escape 19' pulled by a F150 or Ram1500 with tow pkg? new to this type of camping... just got an Escape 2019 , 19'
YES!!! It is required by law, in most states.

With a tow package all of the wiring should be there, it is just the controller itself you need.

This is similar to the one I purchased, under $60 at Amazon.

Reese 83504 Brakeman IV Digital Brake Control
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 05:07 PM   #7

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
YES!!! It is required by law, in most states.

With a tow package all of the wiring should be there, it is just the controller itself you need.

This is similar to the one I purchased, under $60 at Amazon.

Reese 83504 Brakeman IV Digital Brake Control
Brake controller was included on my 2016 F150 with Max Tow Package
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 06:46 PM   #8

Thanks,I’ll check my 1500 Ram to see
Old 03-22-2021, 06:48 PM   #9

Great start! Thank you.ill see how hard it is to instal and get it.

Tags
brake controller, fuse, wiring