Bulldog Coupler - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2020, 02:03 PM   #41

Trailer: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
Hi rja52, We picked up our Escape 21C last year and we installed the new updated Andersen WDH system (ourselves at the Sumas KOA campground) and we are very happy with it.

https://andersenhitches.com/Products...-brackets.aspx

Escape used to install the older Andersen model/style, that apparently caused some issues but so far, the new updated model has been working very well with our 2019 Escape stock RAM coupler. In the beginning, we noticed that sometimes the ball would stick to the coupler when unhitching. Then we learned to pop the TV gear into neutral (with the emergency brake on) when this happens. This helps to release some of the tension on the ball and then it slides right off.

I've no experience with Bulldogs, but having the correct size ball with it seems paramount. The stock Escape RAM coupler is intended for a 2" ball but if you plan to replace it with a Bulldog coupler, it may require a bigger ball? If so, then maybe this Andersen model may be of interest to you:

https://andersenhitches.com/Products...-brackets.aspx

The 'traditional' WDH system Escape currently offers also seems well liked by many here so either way, the good news is that you have some nice options to choose from! Hope this helps. -Bea
Thank you Bea. I wasn't sure if I needed the one with the 4 3/8" brackets or Part # 3324 with 3,4,5,6" brackets. If I order an Escape, I have to decide whether to pick it up in Washington state and drive back to MA where I live or have them deliver it. If I pick it up, I'll probably go with the Fastway e2 hitch but if they deliver it I'm leaning towards the Andersen. Thanks again for your help.
rja52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:49 PM   #42

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21C
Bulldog on a 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
I retrieved the newly installed Bulldog coupler from the welder yesterday. It just came out of the paint shop on my driveway. I choose the 5,000 # model with the low-profile unlocking lever. It comes in gray primer.

Some observations on the coupler. The old RAM coupler must have had threaded holes for the hitch jack. I could not feel a nut on the underside. The Bulldog has slots for jack, no threads. So, an issue arose in that the welder could not thread on nut on the front bolt for the jack. Our only choice was to weld it on. Second the welder had to insert some ¼” steel between the new coupler and the frame. There was too much room. What I am not sure about is why, but I was careful to mention to him that the holes for the jack had to be the same or greater distance from the propane cover. He may have had to insert the filler to meet that dimension.

The Bulldog cost $80 at our local farm store. Amazon carries it as well. The welder did the job for $180; I thought a low cost with small city pricing.

At the same time, I replaced the water pump. It has been firing off at odd times. After checking for leaks it appears the diaphragm may have failed. The repair kit cost ½ the price of a new pump. I did the exact same model and noticed immediately how much quieter it runs.
I am thinking of doing the same thing on my 2020 E21. I watched the video for this coupler on E-Trailer, and found that the total length is 16 inches. I measured the existing coupler to be 13.75 inches from front to the back of the plate behind the jack. So - did this present any problem with the install? The existing jack assembly is already very close to the propane cover. BTW, I despise the hitch provided by Escape. I do really love the trailer
Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:21 PM   #43

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancock View Post
I watched the video for this coupler on E-Trailer, and found that the total length is 16 inches. I measured the existing coupler to be 13.75 inches from front to the back of the plate behind the jack. So - did this present any problem with the install? The existing jack assembly is already very close to the propane cover.
It seems like you are assuming that the extra length of the Bulldog forged coupler means that it goes further back on the A-frame tongue, but it actually sticks further forward than a typical coupler. Because of the room needed for the sliding collar arrangement, the Bulldog is much longer in front. That extra length is not an issue for anything else on the trailer. The back part might be larger as well, but not by anything like the 2.25" suggested by comparing overall lengths.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:24 AM   #44

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21C
That is great. I will order one today. Thanks.
Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 07:27 AM   #45

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Got our Bulldog coupler installed yesterday - $150 total plus he painted the coupler
Works well and a large improvement over the Ram coupler IMHO
I need to reposition the propane tray so the tank cover fits properly
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 08:15 PM   #46

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Bulldog Hitch

Wanted to thank everyone for the information on the RAM hitch and the bulldog as a possible upgrade. I just recently had a bulldog hitch installed and could not be happier. The RAM hitch was becoming increasingly problematic. Hard to install the pin after it was latched because of alignment issues. Also had to back the vehicle up(or move forward) to unhitch. I have not used the bulldog extensively yet but the first hitch and unhitch were a breeze compared to the RAM. Not many things on our 2017 19 Escape that I would change but the coupler is definitely one of them. Again, thank you to everyone who contributes to this forum. I have found it very enlightening.
mquirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 08:33 PM   #47

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Should I assume that most owners doing this upgrade to the Bulldog are using the 5,000 or 7,000# collar lock style with the low profile latch?
Attached Thumbnails
83EF0F66-2568-4690-B401-0CF6075A69F5.jpg  
Old 12-19-2020, 08:53 PM   #48

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Bulldog Hitch

I had the 7000 lb low profile installed because that is what other folks recommended. The installer seemed to agree that the 7 k was the proper unit so I went with it.
mquirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 09:24 PM   #49

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
7000 lb - low profile
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 10:02 PM   #50

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Because of Greg’s install and recommendation . Purchased the 7000 lb low profile Bulldog but haven’t had it installed yet ! Can’t wait ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 10:06 PM   #51

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Hi Pat- let us know what is costs on Central Coast. Would be nice if Escape would offer this as an option, either in-house or customer provided.
Old 12-19-2020, 10:14 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Hi Pat- let us know what is costs on Central Coast. Would be nice if Escape would offer this as an option, either in-house or customer provided.
Hi Ross going to be a bit . Want welder to come to home and right now don’t want someone on property . We are gated in ,iron and block wall . The numbers are really going up until these shots and after holidays, But I will ! Pat
Old 12-19-2020, 11:33 PM   #53

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
The Ram coupler was a PITA on ours and very difficult to unhitch. Had to keep hammering the lift arm to get the pin to align and unhitching with a large screwdriver to get it to release.
Went with the 7k low profile Bulldog Coupler
About 3 trips in now with the Bulldog and simply an awesome change.
The biggest thing is the positive 360 degree under the ball closure. I was getting nervous that the Ram was getting so sloppy when towing that it was going to come off the hitch.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 01:25 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Ross here is our Bulldog . When I get it welded going to remove the propane tanks , repaint the frame etc. Your Bulldog comes with a primer so that will also get painted . No where to go right now , I know , I know what you told me but not yet . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
E81F685F-6E04-4832-9742-03C11A34FC26.jpg  
Old 12-20-2020, 09:23 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mquirk View Post
I had the 7000 lb low profile installed because that is what other folks recommended. The installer seemed to agree that the 7 k was the proper unit so I went with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
7000 lb - low profile
Thanks guys. A question though...I see a pin but can this somehow be locked with a padlock for basic security while traveling? I suppose something like this could work in place of the pin. https://www.etrailer.com/p-2847DAT.html

Also it looks like I unfortunately would need to swap my expensive Proven Industries 2178-A lock with a 2178-B for use when parked/storage. The -B was specifically made to fit the Bulldog hitches.
Old 12-20-2020, 03:30 PM   #56

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
My master pin lock I had on the old coupler went right in the hole and works perfectly, so didnt need to get another type.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 04:14 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
My master pin lock I had on the old coupler went right in the hole and works perfectly, so didnt need to get another type.
Greg can you show what the pin lock looks like Thankyou Pat
Old 12-20-2020, 05:20 PM   #58

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I installed the 5,000 lb capacity hitch. The main reason was it was on the shelf of my farm store and everything else in the hitch mechanism is rated at 5,000 lb.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 06:36 PM   #59

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I found shopping on line for prices that they vary a lot and sometimes the 7000 lb unit can be found cheaper than the 5000 lb one. Of course there are other companies that have the same units for sale as well.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 07:06 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Greg can you show what the pin lock looks like Thankyou Pat
Pat: I‘m guessing it’s similar to what I linked in post #55. Looks like it should work.