Bulldog Coupler - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-15-2021, 11:24 AM   #61

Trailer: Escape 2017 21'
I have a 2017 21C and just changed to a 7000lb Bulldog coupler. Very much worth the replacement. My experience was that the factory coupler would often bind when unhitching on uneven ground. My hunch is that that people that don't experience issues with the factory coupler are likely camping in flat areas. Since we do a lot of dispersed camping, we often find the trailer needing to be significantly leveled, which I suspect places more stress on the factory coupler which leads to the binding problem.
Flyfisherdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 11:52 AM   #62

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I certainly don't always camp on flat ground and, yes, I've had my coupler stick many times despite grease on the ball etc.

I carry a claw hammer in the truck and often just a tiny pry with the claw pops it off. A tiny amount of mechanical force seems much more effective than human power.

I'm not talking about "if it sticks, use a hammer, if it's still stuck, use a bigger hammer" sort of situation.

Worth having a claw hammer around if you're having sticking issues. Mostly for prying use but sometimes for a light tap or two.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 01:41 PM   #63

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisherdan View Post
I have a 2017 21C and just changed to a 7000lb Bulldog coupler. Very much worth the replacement. My experience was that the factory coupler would often bind when unhitching on uneven ground. My hunch is that that people that don't experience issues with the factory coupler are likely camping in flat areas. Since we do a lot of dispersed camping, we often find the trailer needing to be significantly leveled, which I suspect places more stress on the factory coupler which leads to the binding problem.
That is good to know. We have camped mostly in flat places but will be boondocking this winter. We will appreciate the smooth action of the bulldog even more when we hit uneven ground.
Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 03:14 PM   #64

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
I fought with the factory coupler for over two years on my 2017 19 foot before I changed it out for the bulldog. I get my new 21C in early Jan and my new bulldog coupler is already here. I will not unhitch my trailer taking it to my local weld shop and having it installed.
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 07:10 PM   #65

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19 (TV: 2007 Chevy Tahoe)
I. too, use a lever sometimes to free a stuck ball with the standard hitch mechanism. I don't find it a big deal, but don't like it much either. Hitching up sometimes requires I pull the trailer forward to get the ball to seat properly so the locking mechanism can be latched properly.
How does the Bulldog improve on the process? Is there any misalignment when the trailer is lowered on the ball that needs to be addressed in order to close on the hitch and slide the ring forward? Surely one doesn't get the ball perfectly aligned every time, or maybe some do... Also, is there no stress on the joint that makes moving the ring back difficult when un-hitching? There are times I need to ease that stress to un-hitch the standard hitch.
Gary
pkgman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 07:48 PM   #66
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkgman51 View Post
I. too, use a lever sometimes to free a stuck ball with the standard hitch mechanism. .....There are times I need to ease that stress to un-hitch the standard hitch.
Gary
I have't read this whole thread so forgive me if this was already said, but when our ball gets stuck in our 'standard hitch' I: 1. Chock the tires. 2. Pop the gear into neutral and 3. Disengage parking and foot brakes. This helps releases tension on the ball, making it easy to unlatch. So far this has worked for us every time (knock on wood) in flat and uneven sites. Some day I hope to upgrade to a Bulldog, but for now, hope this helps others with the stock hitch. -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 10:34 PM   #67
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Bulldog greatly improves release on uneven ground/slopes. Ball is also visible in the hole when connecting so that makes it so easy. First time I released mine boondocking it was truly a feeling of bliss. No need to use my claw hammer, prybar, etc. Used one on every trailer since then.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 11:17 PM   #68

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Hopefully with the standard hitch it doesn’t come off or unhitch going down the road . Besides everything else mentioned here that happened to us after we had taken off not going very fast . Probably about 5 blocks . Luckily we noticed something wasn’t right and pulled over . Yup no longer hitched . We bought the Bulldog . Thanks Greg ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 07:30 PM   #69

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
Reading this thread I saw a mention that the bulldog collar lock coupler is 2 1/4” longer than the standard wedge lock coupler. Does this increase the distance from the ball to the jack thus giving more tailgate clearance?

Ed
edlynnrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:01 PM   #70
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Yup it does
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 10:35 PM   #71

Trailer: 2013 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkgman51 View Post
How does the Bulldog improve on the process? Is there any misalignment when the trailer is lowered on the ball that needs to be addressed in order to close on the hitch and slide the ring forward? Surely one doesn't get the ball perfectly aligned every time, or maybe some do... Also, is there no stress on the joint that makes moving the ring back difficult when un-hitching? There are times I need to ease that stress to un-hitch the standard hitch.
Gary
You don't have to be "right on target". If you get the top of the ball anywhere within the radius of the open bulldog "mouth", or "lips" included, & never gets caught up. It is built so heavy, any part of it's "lips" will support the trailer's tongue weight. You can lower the trailer to just "rest" on the oil/greased kept ball, & one or two good pushes of the trailer's bulldog on over the ball(usually enough "play" in tires & all). It can slid or start to into place over the ball, then keep lowering the trailer. Seats it's self & never get the wrong part caught up in it. You have a about a 2 1/2" by 3 1/2'' area to have to hit, instead of right on. Easier on uneven ground & all.
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 11:01 AM   #72

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Yup it does
Thanks for that. Just thinking ahead. Our delivery date jumped to April 19. Way sooner than what we expected when we put down our deposit
edlynnrich is offline   Reply With Quote