CA Highway 1 Recommendations - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2020, 01:59 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
CA Highway 1 Recommendations

I am planning a trip south through California and will be camping at Big Sur for a few nights. I have seen a variety of recommendations whether or not to tow on Highway 1 south from Big Sur, but I could not locate a thread on the subject in the forum. If anyone has an opinion or advice on towing that stretch of highway I would welcome it. I will be towing a 19 with a Toyota Tacoma.
Thanks, Tim
Marshall Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 03:01 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
We too would like any recommendations as next April we may be going north and would like to travel some on #1 and would like to stop at Big Sur on the way to visit in Pacific Grove.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 05:36 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
There are only a few places you can camp along highway 1 in the Big Sur area, and most book up months in advance.

Driving it with a trailer isn't a problem, just expect 100s and 100s of turns and speeds that range from 55 on the straights to 20 MPH on some hairpins. please, PLEASE pull over at the earliest possible point if you have more than 3-4 cars behind you (the law says 5 but I pull over if I can for anyone behind me). Morro Bay is the last place to get semi-affordable fuel until you get to Carmel or Monterey. Gas in Big Sur is outrageously expensive

the scenery for the entire 100 or so miles from Cambria to Carmel is absolutely spectacular, but the driver had best keep his attention on the road.... you miss one of those turns, they'll find your bones at the bottom of the cliffs in a year or three if noone sees you go over the edge.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 05:47 PM   #4
Site Team

There's some privately operated RV campsites at Fernwood, and at Big Sur Campground, afaik partial hookups only.

Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park Capground also has RV spaces, but often books up 6 months in advance, the earliest reservations can be made. A self contained RV can dry camp there in the day use lots for one night only after 5pm, leave before 9am, for a reduced fee.
Old 02-14-2020, 06:33 PM   #5

Thanks John for the driving tips. We have reservations at Pfeiffer - Big Sur and will look forward to the trip south afterward.
Marshall Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:21 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 B second generation 2016
We’ve towed south from Big Sur several times. It hasn't been a problem with our 17 foot trailer. It’s a beautiful drive and there are scenic pull outs.
Old 02-16-2020, 05:34 PM   #7
Site Team

although it sbeen discovered and is often overrun with tourists, stopping at Julia Burns S.P. and walking out the trail on the ocean side to get a view of McWay Falls is a must-do.

Old 02-16-2020, 06:29 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
although it sbeen discovered and is often overrun with tourists, stopping at Julia Burns S.P. and walking out the trail on the ocean side to get a view of McWay Falls is a must-do.

John can we do highway 1 with our 19 and long bed truck . We are about 39-40 ft ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:39 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
John can we do highway 1 with our 19 and long bed truck . We are about 39-40 ft ? Pat
sure. I see people with 50 foot class A diesel pushers on highway 1. you might have issues stopping at some of the scenic pullouts, many of those aren't big enough for a long rig

check with any campground you're planning on pulling into, that there's room for you to get in and out... my longbed has a 62 foot turning radius, that can be painful when towing a 21' trailer.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:01 PM   #10

Here is a video that recently came up and very timely for the topic at hand. "Embracing Detours" just did this drive towing a 30' Airstream.

https://youtu.be/Y3azI-PQ7ts

Steve
2019 Chevy Silverado RST 1500, 5.3L
sjnuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
sure. I see people with 50 foot class A diesel pushers on highway 1. you might have issues stopping at some of the scenic pullouts, many of those aren't big enough for a long rig

check with any campground you're planning on pulling into, that there's room for you to get in and out... my longbed has a 62 foot turning radius, that can be painful when towing a 21' trailer.
John always was our favorite but haven’t taken the trailer because we were told not too. We even stopped there before they made the bridges and ramps etc. you could just stop and be on top of the waterfall . My last photograph taken and Linda is a painter and painted my picture . We were going to try the highway in our Subaru but if you say we can , we will . Thankyou ! Pat
Attached Thumbnails
D44C4569-DC67-4F1D-89AC-946B8C47F079.jpg   3470EEB9-6F51-4517-84EA-D43F0587962C.jpg  
Old 02-16-2020, 07:08 PM   #12

Quote:
John always was our favorite but haven’t taken the trailer because we were told not too. We even stopped there before they made the bridges and ramps etc. you could just stop and be on top of the waterfall . My last photograph taken and Linda is a painter and painted my picture . We were going to try the highway in our Subaru but if you say we can , we will . Thankyou ! Pat
I forgot another Linda did in pastels . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
127EEF4F-A846-470F-8A57-3643BD40FB6C.jpg  
Old 02-16-2020, 07:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnuss View Post
Here is a video that recently came up and very timely for the topic at hand. "Embracing Detours" just did this drive towing a 30' Airstream.

https://youtu.be/Y3azI-PQ7ts

Steve
Thankyou just watched u tube . If we remember going up North on highway 1 is a little hairy . We could go up 101 to Monterey then come down to the campground the couple mentioned . Then go back up to Monterey over back down to 101 . Can someone tell us is highway 1 more hairy then the Oregon Coast which we always take the trailer on ! Pat
Old 02-16-2020, 07:31 PM   #14
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
As John's pictures show, Hwy 1 is stunningly beautiful but just a friendly reminder - if it has been raining to check ahead, and confirm it is open since it is unfortunately prone to closures for landslide repair work (during our rainy season, winter months).

In fact, CalTrans announced in December 2019 that they would also preemptively close the Highway 1 in advance of forecasts of significant rain, so keep an eye on the forecast, as well.

So far, with our lack of rainfall this year, it has not been a problem...we're looking rather dry again...sigh. Dreading another drought. On the other hand, hope you have beautiful weather for the beautiful coast. Best, Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:41 PM   #15
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
I forgot another Linda did in pastels . Pat
Wow, Pat...please tell Linda her paintings are amazing! So Beautiful! -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 08:23 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Pat- you gotta do it! If you're nervous after going north then go back via Monterey & 101. Hairy is doing Rocky Mtn National Park from West to East...Yikes!!
Old 02-16-2020, 08:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Pat- you gotta do it! If you're nervous after going north then go back via Monterey & 101. Hairy is doing Rocky Mtn National Park from West to East...Yikes!!
Thanks Ross , we will .We miss it ! Pat. We last did it with our camper , same truck before our trailer .
Old 02-16-2020, 08:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
Wow, Pat...please tell Linda her paintings are amazing! So Beautiful! -Bea
Thankyou Bea , I told her ! Yes last year we tried to see what the road was like in our Subaru . We couldn’t go any farther then a little past Hearst Castle . They were still fixing the latest slide from the rains . We need to take a day outing ! Pat
Old 02-16-2020, 09:44 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Pat- the road has been fixed now for a few years now and with our El Nada weather now is the perfect time!
Old 02-16-2020, 10:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Pat- the road has been fixed now for a few years now and with our El Nada weather now is the perfect time!
Ok Ross somewhere I have a picture where we were stopped and you are right it was 2 years ago . Time is moving faster then I would like ! Pat

Tags
ca hwy 1