Can transmission coolers be added aftermarket? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2020, 07:49 PM   #1

Trailer: None yet
Can transmission coolers be added aftermarket?

Can I purchase any car and add "towing package" equivalent hardware aftermarket? Or if I choose to get a used model, do I need to make sure it comes with a factory added towing packages?
yhbae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:05 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhbae View Post
Can I purchase any car and add "towing package" equivalent hardware aftermarket? Or if I choose to get a used model, do I need to make sure it comes with a factory added towing packages?
Some equipment can be added aftermarket, but it may not be truly equivalent, and in some cases it may not be practical. It depends on the equipment: a hitch can normally be added later, but enhancements such as transmission and engine cooling provisions are better included from the factory.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:08 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
aftermarket transmission cooler

I added a Long 4589 transmission cooler to a 2014 Toyota 4Runner in series after the factory radiator cooler, mounted with hard mounts in front of the ac condenser (no zipties) with the lines to the passenger side of the radiator with strain relief.

I couldn't find any local shops that would do what I consider a good install, so I did it myself.

Bill R
Bill R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:12 PM   #4

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Note that no amount of aftermarket additions can alter the 'OE as-built' load and / or tow rated limits for that specific vehicle / VIN. That may have implications depending on the circumstance you envision, or may be moot if you do not envision 'increasing' a vehicle's rated capacities via aftermarket additions.

IOW, if you seek the comfort, assurance, and warranty protection that go with a particular set of vehicle rated capacity limits, you must purchase a vehicle having those ratings from the factory.

IF, working within the vehicle's OE rated limits, you want to add things like a receiver, brake controller, aux coolers, etc, then sure, the aftermarket and DIY can be a viable option, IMO.
Old 07-16-2020, 11:02 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Centex hit the nail on the head. The only thing I would add is that if you have a specific tow vehicle in mind, along with specific add ons that you want, make sure that the add-ons are available and compatible with your proposed tow vehicle before you make a commitment to the tow vehicle.

For instance, I added an air bag suspension and a transmission cooler to my tow vehicle, and am very satisfied with the result. But as noted, these additions did not change the rated specs of the tow vehicle, although I believe the trans cooler will extend the service life of the tranny.
Old 07-17-2020, 01:50 AM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Last year I bought a 2019 Toyota Tundra 4.6L. It is rated for 6500lbs with no tow package, not even a hitch. The Toyota package was $780 for a hitch and a plug. I purchased a hitch online for $179 and the plug was $52. I installed the hitch myself and the truck was pre wired for the plug, but not the brake controller. I added a Curt Spectrum remote brake controller, $249 which I wired myself with help from the TundraForum.
I used to use a ScanGauge2 to monitor my transmission temperatures on my 4Runner and have been using it on my Tundra just to be careful. I find it to be running warmer than I expected. I am probably going to add a transmission cooler before my next trip.

Am I happy with the Tundra? Well yes, I only paid $34,000 CAD which is like $26,000 US. A pretty good deal in my eyes. It does OK pulling the E19. I was afraid of the fuel economy of the 5.7L, its a pig.

Can you add a Towing package, no, not really, but what I have done is sufficient for a 3100lbs trailer.
Old 07-17-2020, 06:43 AM   #7

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
A “transmission cooler” can be added to any vehicle, even after purchase. Many do it simply to keep trans temperatures down. But it will not increase towing capacity.

“Transmission Coolers” are designed to keep “Transmissions Cooler” by circulating hot trans fluids though a separate radiator so air can blow through thus cooling the trans fluid.

It’s simply a matter of mounting, running lines and adding the proper amount of fluids to fill the increased size of the system.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 06:55 PM   #8

Trailer: None yet
Wow. Lots of helpful info. I'll make sure that whatever I buy already comes with a towing package rated for what I need. Thank you all!
yhbae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 08:49 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
Last year I bought a 2019 Toyota Tundra 4.6L. It is rated for 6500lbs with no tow package, not even a hitch. The Toyota package was $780 for a hitch and a plug. I purchased a hitch online for $179 and the plug was $52. I installed the hitch myself and the truck was pre wired for the plug, but not the brake controller. I added a Curt Spectrum remote brake controller, $249 which I wired myself with help from the TundraForum.
I used to use a ScanGauge2 to monitor my transmission temperatures on my 4Runner and have been using it on my Tundra just to be careful. I find it to be running warmer than I expected. I am probably going to add a transmission cooler before my next trip.

Am I happy with the Tundra? Well yes, I only paid $34,000 CAD which is like $26,000 US. A pretty good deal in my eyes. It does OK pulling the E19. I was afraid of the fuel economy of the 5.7L, its a pig.

Can you add a Towing package, no, not really, but what I have done is sufficient for a 3100lbs trailer.
My brother and I both bought 2017 Tundras - his the 4.6 and mine, the 5.7.

I get better gas mileage than he does when towing 5000 lbs. The 4.6 has to work too hard when towing a load.
Old 07-18-2020, 05:11 AM   #10

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post

I get better gas mileage than he does when towing 5000 lbs. The 4.6 has to work too hard when towing a load.
I have 2 friends that had the 5.7L Crew, both sold because of the gas mileage. I have another friend that has one, he shakes his head, says it never passes a gas station. I was afraid of the gas mileage of the 5.7. I am pretty happy with the 4.6 so far, the price was right. We have a 19' with few options and we travel light. Around Ontario it will do fine. It's the longer trips I'm worried about.

In Canada, we pay average roughly $4.50 to $5.50 a gallon.
Old 07-19-2020, 06:45 PM   #11

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19, 2010 Palomino Y series prior
It was fairly easy to add an aux trans cooler to my F150, but depending what you are planning for a tow vehicle, it can be best to get the vehicle with the factory "tow package" right from the get go.
I have also add LT tires, an extra leaf spring, brake control, hitch and wiring as I was ignorant when I bought my F150 in 2014 and did not get one with tow package
I still do not have Select Shift (allows to lock out gears when towing) nor the upgraded sway bar, and have easily spent more on these things after market than if I selected a truck with the tow package. (Altho I would still have had to add the LT tires and extra spring)
As others have also pointed out, you don't gain towing capacity. You only gain better performance and less strain on certain components.
My truck configuration without tow package is 5000#, and the same truck with tow package was 6100# if I recall, but I don't legally gain the extra capacity just because I added most of the components
Old 07-19-2020, 09:56 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I would be careful adding an after market transmission cooler, especially if the vehicle is garaged and used in a location that experiences severe winter temperatures. If the cooler is installed in an improper location, the transmission fluid may not heat up to proper operating temperatures. They are not difficult to install, but if you are doing it yourself, ask questions from someone with transmission servicing experience.
Old 07-20-2020, 12:02 AM   #13

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post

I have a similar comparison:

I have a 2017 Tundra Platinum with the 5.7L engine pulling a 5.0TA. My average MPG is 11.5 while towing. This is about the same as what I got with a 2016 6 cylinder Tacoma pulling a 2013 19’ for the same reasons you cite. The Tacoma had to work too hard and spent a lot of time in lower gears at higher RPMs. The Tundra with the tow package (including a Tow/Haul mode. Try adding that after market!) hardly knows the 5.0 is even there. Most of the time the engine RPMs are less than 2000. Plus the GVW of the 5.0 is 1,000 heaver.

Bonus: The 5.7 is a super solid engine with a proven reliability record.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 01:11 PM   #14

Trailer: 2022 Keystone Cougar 29RLKWE & RAM 2500
Transmission Cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill R View Post
I added a Long 4589 transmission cooler to a 2014 Toyota 4Runner in series after the factory radiator cooler, mounted with hard mounts in front of the ac condenser (no zipties) with the lines to the passenger side of the radiator with strain relief.

I couldn't find any local shops that would do what I consider a good install, so I did it myself.

Bill R
I had the Toyota dealer install a transmission cooler on my 2014 4Runner at the same time they installed the supercharger. ATF is definitely cooler. I haven't tried towing with 4Runner yet to see the impact of the install.
dlakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 02:08 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
I have a similar situation to Doug's: I got a ScanGauge II for Xmas last year, and (finally) have been able to take a couple of trips with our Escape, so I've gotten to monitor trans. fluid (ATF) temperatures. Our Honda Pilot has the factory tow package with a small trans. cooler. I've found that towing combined with high ambient temperatures (100°+ through the Mojave Desert, Owens Valley, and I-10 CA and AZ) and significant mountain grades tends to push the ATF temp. over 200° often.
So, I am considering an additional cooler as well. Another word-on-the-street factor is that (especially Honda) auto.transmissions life expectancy drops precipitously over 220° ATF temp.

The retrofit is straight forward, especially with an existing cooler.

Find an acceptable location in an air stream, establish suitable structural support (I don't like the 'cable tie to the A/C condenser coil method"), and connect in series with and down-stream from the existing cooler.
If/when I do it, the Forum will know and photos will follow.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 11:38 PM   #16

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I would be careful adding an after market transmission cooler, especially if the vehicle is garaged and used in a location that experiences severe winter temperatures. If the cooler is installed in an improper location, the transmission fluid may not heat up to proper operating temperatures. They are not difficult to install, but if you are doing it yourself, ask questions from someone with transmission servicing experience.
We live in Minnesota and have a garage. In 2005 we purchased our 2003 Honda Odyssey and had a transmission cooler installed. We hauled a 3,300# 16' Scamp for six years and a 2007 17' Casita for five years. Probably hauled those two campers 100,000 miles with that Odyssey. Never had a cooling problem in the summer nor a heating problem in the winter. Up until the last two years it was always garaged. Worked perfectly!

Unfortunately, at 280,000 miles we kept the Odyssey on the grass at our seasonal campsite for two years. Big Mistake! The running gear and brakes rusted from the moisture released by the grass. The engine and transmission are in another Odyssey now.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-05-2020, 09:54 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 17 B
I had a transmission cooler added to my 2016 Honda Pilot. It's an aftermarket option and was produced by Honda. I think the parts were $125ish plus install. I wanted to do it myself, as it's an easy add on, decided to save my time for something else.
jadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 10:31 AM   #18

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Agree with the above. I installed a B&M stacked plate transmission cooler in my Toyota Rav4. The B&M design has a feature that allows the transmission fluid to partially bypass the transmission cooler when the ambient temperature is low. As the transmission fluid gets hotter and therefore thinner more fluid is able to flow thru the cooling passages in the cooler. Also they say the stacked plate design is more compact and more efficient. It's worked great for me so far. I monitor temps with a Scangauge II.
flynfrfun is offline   Reply With Quote