Clip on mirrors necessary ? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2014, 04:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Clip on mirrors necessary ?

Comments on another thread has us wondering:

We will be towing a 17b with our 2012 Nissan Frontier King Cab.
Should we be ordering clip on mirrors ahead of our towing lesson with Valley Driving School?

17b width is 6'8" or 80".
Nissan spec book says 72.8" but that doesn't seem to include the mirrors? We actually measured the truck width and including mirrors get 84" width.

Any advice/suggestions?

What kind of clip on mirror system has been working for people?

The Fit System 3891 Deluxe Universal Clip-on Trailer Towing Mirrors System got favour able mention on this forum today.

Thanks for any comments

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:11 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 13
We had clip on mirrors similar to the one you describe and did not like them because they were difficult to adjust, noisy and unstable while driving, and had to be readjusted every time we took them off.

We replaced them with Grand Aero Towing Mirrors which are easy to adjust, quiet and don't need to be adjusted every time you take them off. These mirrors are highly rated. They are not cheap, but worth the money. We bought ours from Amazon.com.

These mirrors are made by Milenco in the UK. More information from their website: http://www.milenco.com/products/mirr...towing-mirror/

2003 Subaru Forester
2012 Toyota Highlander V6
2010 Escape 13 "Ladybug" Feb 2010
bvansnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:41 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Ditto on the Milenco Grand Aero.
I used Tow 'n' See mirrors, but they've been retired.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:42 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
We use these and are happy with them:
http://www.costco.com/JR-Products-Ae...100103655.html
There is a little vibration, but we find the mirrors to be invaluable and can see so much more when driving and backing up. They're easy to install and once adjusted, you just put them on and off by hand tightening a couple of screws.
JaneM. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:46 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Those are Milenco Grand Aero mirrors under a different name. They make a couple styles. I have their original mirrors, not the tear-drops shown on that Costco site.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:49 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Larry, the rule of the road in most provinces and states, is that you have to be able to see into the lane you are in a couple hundred feet back, on both sides. If you can't you need to add mirrors.

I too bought the Milenco mirrors a couple years ago. Much better than the strap on ones I had.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:10 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 19'
Aero Mirrors

Based on comments from this site I purchased the Aero Mirrors and have been very satisfied with them. I made a mistake and ordered the Aero Mirror instead of the Grand Aero, so mine a a bit smaller than the Grand Aero but they have still worked well and are easy to put on and take off. I purchased mine on sale from Amazon.com
sokol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:19 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Those are Milenco Grand Aero mirrors under a different name. They make a couple styles. I have their original mirrors, not the tear-drops shown on that Costco site.
The teardrop ones are called "Milenco Aero 2" on their website. Milenco makes several different styles.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:23 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
Add our Bump to the GRAND AERO. they have worked well for us.
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:58 PM   #10

Thanks for these responses. So it looks like we are buying more stuff.

It looks like we'll go with Milenco mirrors rather then buying cheaper and then buying again.

Next question if I may. What are the benefits/differences between Teardrop (Aero 2) or Grand Aero mirrors . The teardrop are smaller the Grand are bigger. I'm inclined to go bigger but have no real basis in making a decision.

Liz thinks the Teardrop have a sleeker mounting design.

Costco.ca is offering both on its website
Old 07-24-2014, 12:48 AM   #11

Trailer: 2009 17B - Escape Pod
I hate to differ, but we do not use extensions on our mirrors, and feel no need to do so! That is one thing I love about the 17B, we are light, can pull a U-turn in a residential neighbourhood (when we are lost!), and have no need for mirror extensions.
ddevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:38 AM   #12

Dave I'm glad to hear your differing opinion.
Can u post the width of your tug?
Do you think you are legal as per post #6 on this thread.

Ours widths are this:
17b width is 6'8" or 80".
Our Nissan spec book says 72.8" but that doesn't seem to include the mirrors? We actually measured the truck width and including mirrors get 84" width.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:20 AM   #13

Trailer: 2010 Escape 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddevin View Post
I hate to differ, but we do not use extensions on our mirrors, and feel no need to do so! That is one thing I love about the 17B, we are light, can pull a U-turn in a residential neighbourhood (when we are lost!), and have no need for mirror extensions.
You might want to check out this reference:
Trailer Mirrors | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws

For example in California:
A motor vehicle towing a vehicle or trailer must be equipped with mirrors on both the left and right side which provide a view of at least 200 feet of the highway.

2003 Subaru Forester
2012 Toyota Highlander V6
2010 Escape 13 "Ladybug" Feb 2010
bvansnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:33 AM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
I too have a Frontier we use to pull our 19'. I bought the Grand Aero mirrors and they worked everyone well. I then learned through Alf's post about the aftermarket towing mirrors sold by A1 Auto that extend/collapse and are also remote-controlled & heated (if you have that option) with the added bonus of smaller, parobolic mirrors on the bottom of both sides. This greatly enhances your rear view. Far superior to the Aero's and don't need to be taken on and off. One caution to the Aeros: they can be removed in about 5 seconds; I was always concerned about theft.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:56 AM   #15

Thanks Zardoz, this looks interesting. Things are getting complicated and more expensive by the minute! I found their website, did a search and found this: Search Results for mirror pair - 1A Auto

I'm experiencing sticker price shock . My son-in-law is a licensed mechanic ..... he could do the install.... too many expensive options.

Larry
Old 07-24-2014, 10:18 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I think those replacement mirrors are an excellent option for trailering mirrors. I just wish they made them for my Pilot.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:58 AM   #17

For other interested newbies the same issue is being discussed on the Fiberglass RV forum

Mirrors - Fiberglass RV

On that thread people are talking about wireless rear mounted cameras on the trailer to see people doing fast lane changes on you. One more item to ponder..... But I'm going to wait on cameras until we get a few miles/trips under our belts.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:30 AM   #18

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Larry,
As I noted on Alf's original thread, the enhanced field of vision provided by the convex (not "parabolic" as stated in my earlier post) GREATLY enhances your everyday driving. More importantly, it aids a lot when backing up, especially in parking lots. I can't wait until all vehicles are required to have backup cameras. The installation on each side is two nuts and a single plug after removing the door panel. Search for Alf's original thread; he provided me with invaluable assistance helping me get them on. And "yes," they are pricey. But nobody wants to compromise on safety.
- Rich
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:49 AM   #19

Trailer: 2003 Scamp 16' SOLD , 2008 Airstream 19'
My Jeep Wrangler is so narrow that I couldn't see down either side of the trailer with the stock mirrors. I spaced out the factory mirrors with some 2" cocobolo spacers. The view improved, but I can only see down one side at a time depending which direction the tug is steered. This happens when backing up. On the highway the view of the adjacent lanes is not too bad. I will need to think of a wider mirror set up. Jeep mirrors need to fold back flat when 4 wheeling in narrow ravines. Extensions could be removed for wheeling, so may be the best solution.
Russ
Attached Thumbnails
slot 2.jpg   12 04 260.jpg  
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:54 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Larry,
As I noted on Alf's original thread, the enhanced field of vision provided by the convex (not "parabolic" as stated in my earlier post) GREATLY enhances your everyday driving. More importantly, it aids a lot when backing up, especially in parking lots. I can't wait until all vehicles are required to have backup cameras. The installation on each side is two nuts and a single plug after removing the door panel. Search for Alf's original thread; he provided me with invaluable assistance helping me get them on. And "yes," they are pricey. But nobody wants to compromise on safety.
- Rich
The only problem with this is if you want to add a back up camera to your trailer. I've found mine handy, and if my tow vehicle had a built in camera system, since it doesn't have a second input, you still need to add another monitor for the trailer.

I have a Rear View Safety system that uses up to 3 cameras, with a push button on the monitor to switch between them.