Close call today - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2018, 11:00 AM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Great work Dave. Glad you folks are OK.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:05 AM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
These kinds of things give me the willies! Glad you're both safe Dave. Call this a one-and-done, never to be repeated!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 01:44 PM   #23

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I had a similar situation but without the trailer. Going about 50 on a two lane frontage road when a tire and rim passed me in the other lane. Its rare, but it does happen. Glad ur OK, and good advice given. You have to be prepared for anything out there.
Similar to you, I have twice been passed on the road by a lone tire and wheel. (This was two different incidents, not the same tire passing me both times!)

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 01:52 PM   #24
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
was minding my own business, on my BMW motorcycle cruising down the middle lane of a 3-lane stretch of highway 1 betweeen Castroville and Monterey, gliding by a semi in the right lane, when I saw one of his drive wheels suddenly shimmy then it threw a tire gator right at me. wanna talk about heart stoppers?? had just enough time to confirm nothing was to my left, and both grab throttle and swerve out of its path, it went just behind me, I could feel the wind from it. If I'd try to grab brake, I probably would have gotten smacked square on by it and be dead.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 02:18 PM   #25

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
Similar to you, I have twice been passed on the road by a lone tire and wheel. (This was two different incidents, not the same tire passing me both times!)
Glad you clarified that, Dave........

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 02:31 PM   #26

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
So glad you're okay!!! That is certainly a heart-stopping moment and I'm sure you play it over and over in your mind. Avoiding that accident took quick thinking and a steady hand.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 04:12 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
As a side note, this is the time of the season that wild animals, particularly deer are most active, especially at dusk. I believe Pennsylvania leads the nation with most deer collisions,115,000, but per capita West Virginia is 1st, Montana #2, Iowa is #3 and Pennsylvania #4. So Dave, you are not out of the woods yet.....
Old 10-23-2018, 06:49 PM   #28

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
was minding my own business, on my BMW motorcycle cruising down the middle lane of a 3-lane stretch of highway 1 betweeen Castroville and Monterey, gliding by a semi in the right lane, when I saw one of his drive wheels suddenly shimmy then it threw a tire gator right at me. wanna talk about heart stoppers?? had just enough time to confirm nothing was to my left, and both grab throttle and swerve out of its path, it went just behind me, I could feel the wind from it. If I'd try to grab brake, I probably would have gotten smacked square on by it and be dead.
That reminded me of a nice day I was cruising down the interstate doing the then speed limit of 55 in our little 1984 Toyota Tercel with my driver's window rolled down (yes, it was a hand-crank window). An 18-wheeler started passing me in the passing lane to my left, and just as his rear axle was almost up to my rear axle - KABOOM!! His right rear tire blew big time throwing those "tire gators" all over the road behind me. If he had been another 8 feet further up, I'm sure some of that rubber shrapnel would have blown right into the side of my face with nothing to even slow it down. He kept going, but I pulled over into an upcoming rest area to check my car and my pants....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 07:15 PM   #29

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
As a side note, this is the time of the season that wild animals, particularly deer are most active, especially at dusk. I believe Pennsylvania leads the nation with most deer collisions,115,000, but per capita West Virginia is 1st, Montana #2, Iowa is #3 and Pennsylvania #4. So Dave, you are not out of the woods yet.....
My neighbors brother hit one this morning with his Honda CRV. We duct taped the front so they can still drive it short distances, but that deer did some serious damage. Given the age and mileage my guess is it’s totaled.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 07:18 PM   #30

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Growing up in Iowa, if you saw a deer in the 50’s, that was really something. As Jlm said they are really out in the fall and I had grilled venison several years ago with the work van. At least the radiator survived. Dave probably sees all of the deer he wants just looking out of his house. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 07:27 PM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Cape Hatteras deer

Deer at Cape Point Campground, Cape Hatteras. They were everywhere at this isolated, almost empty campground earlier in the month.
Attached Thumbnails
20181007_hatteras_deer.jpg   20181002_hatteras_deer_light.jpg  
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:11 PM   #32

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Deer

I had three in the orchard all fall. They come out of the tall grass, eat windfalls, head for the corn. My farmer neighbor is ready to pick somthat will reduce their hiding places. On our farm ground they’re in the hayfield about every night. I’ve hit two on highway 965 and I-380
between Cedar Rapids and North Liberty. The peak of the rut is from about Nov3 and Nov 12 each fall. A big buck took on a truck on Cedar Rapids a few years ago and became immortalized on canvas. The painting is called “The Water Truck Buck”. I saw him many times when I was “out on inspections” when I worked for the city.
Deer, it’s what’s for dinner.
Iowa Dave
Old 10-23-2018, 09:43 PM   #33

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
(snip) ( Thanks Bill Sonnenburg who wrote this and with me, checked all my tires and lug nuts in the rain a few days back)

Iowa Dave

Glad you're all okay. How scary!

The comment on checking the lug nuts - yes, do this! Everyone! A friend's husband works for Camping World and when I got the trailer he asked if I check the lug nuts. I said that I do before the trailer moves - either from home or a camping site. He said they get so many rigs in that needs repairs due to a tire falling off. When the owner is asked if they checked the lug nuts, most of them never did. I can't say I've ever seen anyone at campgrounds checking their lug nuts.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:44 PM   #34

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
My neighbors brother hit one this morning with his Honda CRV. We duct taped the front so they can still drive it short distances, but that deer did some serious damage. Given the age and mileage my guess is it’s totaled.
I hit one in my Forester in June. It was still very drivable as long as it wasn't dark (headlight had gone wonky pointing the wrong way) but it amounted to $2400 damage. And it wasn't a huge deer, nor was I going very fast. It actually crossed in well in front of me, but then got confused by traffic going the other way and jumped back onto the road on my side. 10 am, busy highway, sunny day.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:03 AM   #35

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
Dave and Rita, so glad to hear that things turned out well with that heart stopping event. I find myself constantly watching the surrounding traffic always thinking anything can happen. It often seems you can be easily lured into complacency on long trips. You never know. As Jim Morrison of the Doors said in Roadhouse Blues, "Keep your eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel".
Old 10-24-2018, 09:42 AM   #36

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
"Grilled venison..." -- that's funny. In '68 driving down 301 a couple miles south of DC I had "quarter-paneled venison" after putting maybe 300 miles on my brand-new Charger.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:04 AM   #37

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
We had the unfortunate experience 35 years ago around Xmas time with an encounter, young 5 year old daughter thought we had hit Rudolph, fortunately it ran off okay, otherwise her faith in Xmas would have been shattered years before she wised up.
Old 10-24-2018, 11:22 AM   #38

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
A colleague/coworker in my office died in a collision with a moose on a rural road after dark about 1 year ago. The risks of vehicle - animal collisions are particularly high at this time of year.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:45 AM   #39
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
We have deer all over our lot at our new place. They're thick as flies in the hill country. Unfortunately they love many of the plants, flowers and shrubs the homeowners use. There's a whole cottage industry here of nurseries and landscapers who sell a line of items that are "deer resistant".

I used to really like having all the deer around but that was before they destroyed plant after plant. Some homeowners actually put out deer corn to attract them, and I really wish they wouldn't.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:48 AM   #40

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Venison anyone?