correct way to attach breakaway cable - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2018, 09:38 AM   #1

correct way to attach breakaway cable

Hi folks
We recently picked up our new 19' at the factory, and the great people there ran us through orientation, and then hooked us up to our car.
I noticed after we left that they had attached the breakaway switch cable to the safety chain with snap ties, and then attached the cable end loop into the chain hook, which attached to the car.
This is our 4th camper, and I had been taught somewhere long ago that the switch cable should be attached directly to the vehicle, and made slightly shorter than the chain. I looked it up on you tube, and found several links that verified that is the correct way. If the trailer comes off the hitch ball, the switch cable will pull the plug on the breakaway switch and activate the trailer brakes, even though the chains are still keeping the trailer attached to the car.
This would prevent the trailer from slamming into the back of the car.

This seems logical to me; anyone have a different opinion?

I called Dave, the parts guy at Escape and he said he would look into it.......
dpiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:09 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: dpiano... IMHO there will be several "Correct" ways to do this. Major thing is...DO IT!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:13 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Zip tying to the safety chain if I understand this correctly would not allow the breakaway switch to operate as it’s designed, so I’m in ur camp on that being incorrectly done. The breakaway switch has to free when the ball comes out of the coupler and the trailer drops back on the safety chains. The setup you describe would prevent that until the chains break. First I’ve seen this mentioned, however, wonder if it was a one-off or they’re sending trailers out with this setup? Good that you called it in to them.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:19 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Zip tying to the safety chain if I understand this correctly would not allow the breakaway switch to operate as it’s designed, so I’m in ur camp on that being incorrectly done. The breakaway switch has to fire when the ball comes out of the coupler and the trailer drops back on the safety chains. The setup you describe would prevent that until the chains break. First I’ve seen this mentioned, however, wonder if it was a one-off or they’re sending trailers out with this setup? Good that you called it in to them.
Escape attached the safety cable to the chains & hook on my 2017 21.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:39 AM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
The breakaway cable should go to a permanent part of the tow vehicle. Nothing that can break or become disconnected. This is what Escape's own manual says too. Whether it is short enough to engage the brakes when still connected to a tow vehicle by safety chains is a matter of preference I suppose. The purpose of the technology is not to protect your tow vehicle it is to protect others if your trailer were to become completely disconnected.
Attached Thumbnails
breakaway.JPG  
Old 11-27-2018, 12:03 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 2017 19
Breakaway

The cable from the breakaway switch should be removed from the safety chain hook, all tie wraps removed, cable adjusted to the appropriate length and fitted with a carbiner separately attached to the tow vehicle. I have been told that the way Escape does it does not meet regulations. YMMV
dkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 12:16 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Breakaway carabiner

After 4 years of towing with the cable attached incorrectly, I switched a couple of months ago to using a carabiner attached to the receiver alongside the safety chain.

I am glad this is being mentioned. I fear many have been doing this wrong, probably from day one.

Sliding along on the trailer jack post foot is not the best way to stop a trailer, but it does work at 5mph in Glacier National Park, Apgar Loop A.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 12:43 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Reace showed me how to connect the breakaway cable to the vehicle.
He first put a loop in the cable so it would not drag on the ground or get caught on anything.
He then put the end of the cable through the 'R' clip and around the pin that holds the WDH on the receiver. Then the 'R' clip was placed on the pin.
Hoping this blowup will help.
Attached Thumbnails
With WDH2.jpg   R-pin.jpg   Rclip .jpg  
Old 11-27-2018, 12:48 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirk View Post
The cable from the breakaway switch should be removed from the safety chain hook, all tie wraps removed, cable adjusted to the appropriate length and fitted with a carbiner separately attached to the tow vehicle. I have been told that the way Escape does it does not meet regulations. YMMV
I don't have a bumper pull, but a 5th wheel. When Dennis delivered my trailer to Sumas, he said to change the loop on the end of the break away cable to a caribner. BUT he also warned to get a GOOD carbiner and not one of those aluminum ones designed to keep your keys attached to your belt. You don't want the carbiner to break before the switch is activated. One of these days I'll go to a mountaineering shop and buy a carbiner manufactured for rock climbing...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 01:24 PM   #10

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
We replaced the factory supplied breakaway with one of these from Fastway. Nice.

https://www.fastwaytrailer.com/zip-breakaway-cable

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0192.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	35384
Old 11-27-2018, 02:03 PM   #11

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I always had mine loosely threaded thru the chain to keep it from getting tangled, then connected to the receiver via a caribiner.

Never heard of regulations that covered this?
Old 11-27-2018, 02:31 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Reace's trick with the pin that holds the WD head or ball mount into the receiver is presumably just done because the cheap standard breakaway cable has only a loop on the end, not a clip. I spent the couple of bucks, and bought a security snap for chain or cable.

I wouldn't attach the breakaway switch cable to the safety chains in any way. The breakaway cable and its fittings are weak compared to the safety chains, and I wouldn't want the any part of the breakaway cable to be pulled apart (by a chain being pulled tight) before it pulls the plug out of the breakaway switch.

This seems pretty simple to me: hook the cable on the hitch receiver - the safety chain loops are usually the easiest part with a conventional hitch. With a fifth-wheel or Andersen Ultimate it would be best to go to somewhere fixed to the truck, rather than to a removable part of the system that might not have been pinned properly (causing the separation that the breakaway switch is there to handle).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 02:35 PM   #13

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Ours was hooked up to the safety chain as well and we questioned that method but were assured it was fine. We weren't really comfortable with that setup so now, after this thread, we'll go back to the "old" way of hooking up the breakaway cable.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 02:53 PM   #14

Trailer: none
Stupid question here: Does a 5th wheel trailer require a break-away cable? How about safety chains?
Old 11-27-2018, 03:40 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hitching up

I have attached the cable to the receiver for many years. Years ago,I had a mower trailer come off the hitch, ( Ball size was changed and I did not know it) at 65 mph on the interstate in Omaha. After the trailer tongue smacked the tailgate the trailer got wacky enough to actuate the brakes because the safety chains were too long and the weight on the trailer was too far back and the tongue went up in the air instead of down on the paving. When the brake cable activated the brakes the trailer drug to a stop, smoking the trailer brakes. Changed out the tailgate a few days later and that was the only real damage. After that I have always been careful with loading, safety chain length (crossed) and brake cable setup.
That was over 40 years ago. I have a supply of coated 1/8 inch cable, ferrules, cable cutters and a swaging tool so I can replace my cable if it starts looking kinked or suspect, or put a little necklace on a coyote whichever comes first. I use zip ties to double back excessive “free” links of safety chain for keeping the hanging lengths out of the way.
Iowa Dave
Old 11-27-2018, 03:43 PM   #16

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
Stupid question here: Does a 5th wheel trailer require a break-away cable? How about safety chains?
Yes to the break away cable. Chain are not required on a "standard" fifth wheel hitch but are required on a gooseneck style. I think there was some cases where chains were NOT needed on goosenecks.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:49 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape
Related issue. Does anyone activate the switch to see if it works? Does it reset properly?
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 04:07 PM   #18

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
My understanding is the breakaway cable should be shorter than the safety chains so that in the event the hitch comes out of the ball mount the trailer will brake and you can control the stop (with the hitch supported by the crossed safety chains).

If the hitch comes out of the ball and the brake is not applied it could cause considerable damage. Anything that could impede the breakaway cable from being pulled such as attaching to safety chains, etc, may not engage the brake in an emergency.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 05:09 PM   #19

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
Does a 5th wheel trailer require a break-away cable? How about safety chains?
The point of the breakaway switch and cable is to apply the trailer's brakes if it becomes detached from the towing vehicle. While a fifth-wheel hitch is considered less likely to become accidentally uncoupled than a ball hitch (that's why safety chains are not required), a failure could still cause the trailer to become detached and so the breakaway system still makes sense (and I believe is generally required). Yes, it is very unlikely, but clipping on the breakaway cable doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 05:13 PM   #20

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
This makes the most sense to me. Bypass the safety chains except I run the cable through the same tow mount opening they hook onto and loop cable back to the break away thing, as seen here. I did dehitch once and can confirm my way works fine.

Reset simply by re-inserting it.
Attached Thumbnails
emergency.jpg