Coupler latch Not Closing Properly. Please Help - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2020, 06:24 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
The best advice for coupler issues was said by Iowa Dave in post number 3:

"Look under the coupler." Literally. Lie down under the coupler and see what happens with the mechanism when you move the top part. This will help with hitching and unhitching, and with possibly needing to bang on something.

This design probably hasn't changed in 75 years. It probably isn't the best, but it is generally safe, or can be, if you can visualize what happens or needs to happen.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 02:42 PM   #22

Trailer: None yet
I had the same problem but saw this product promoted elsewhere. Problem solved
https://www.amazon.com/3-IN-ONE-Trai...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Flint
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 04:45 PM   #23

Trailer: sold Airstream\Casita -2019 21' Escape
Mine was stiff when I received trailer. It was frustrating getting it hitched. Overtime it started to seat normally, however I still have to line up ball just a little forward of coupler. I know when it's seated correctly and secure by inserting the pin and lowering the jack. I do spray silicone on coupler and ball each trip. Good luck.
jumboscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 02:21 PM   #24

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Alf
I just came across the nicest old heavy hammer about a four pounder that I got at a garage sale somewhere. I knew it had potential and when I cleaned it up it’s a beauty with a very nice handle. I have it lined up on my bench with about 6 more. I really like hammers. hatchets, axes, mauls and wrecking bars too. American, Canadian, Swedish and German Steel. Can’t beat it.
Iowa Dave
You have all those big hammers, and you can't beat it??
Old 01-08-2021, 02:47 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
When I had a hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
You have all those big hammers, and you can't beat it??
Hi Mike
Out of High School in 1966 and also in the summers of 1967 and 1968 I worked in a grey iron foundry. We made crane counterweights for Link Belt Speeder cranes and large crusher wheels for Cedarapids brand rock crushers. Each day we would pour dozens of crusher wheels and a number (6 to 10) counterweights. As the wheels cooled but were still red hot they were removed from the sand mold which was encircled by heavy steel bands. This procedure was called the shakeout or knockout. The casting was lifted with an air powered chain hoist to about waist high. I worked with a recently released man who had been in the state penitentiary. His name was Roosevelt Green and we became friends. The two of us would stand on opposite sides of the mold and swing sledge hammers like they were baseball bats. Me a 10 or 12 pounder Roosevelt always a 16. We worked as a team and always had our share out before everyone else. Then we drank water. It was often 135 degrees in the foundry and we were soaking wet from sweat. We would stagger to the open overhead door leading outside and even in the shade, on a 90 degree afternoon, you would feel like shivering. It was in the summer of 1966 that I learned to work like a man and gained a respect for my fellow man regardless of his background. So l love hammers and the work they can do. I have a 2 ounce ballpein my mother used as an inspector on B29 parts during WWII and right on up to some big boys i can’t swing like I could 55 years ago. I saw Trini Lopez do the hammer song in person and it’s always been a favorite.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-08-2021, 04:13 PM   #26

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
Does anyone know if the coupler issue has been resolved? I would like to know if the coupler was faulty. Thanks
Greatboatz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 05:38 PM   #27

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Faulty, or quirky?

A bit of both, but the existing supplied unit works. Faulty? I do know that there are better couplers out there, but so far I've found mine to work, but be touchy in careful positioning of the ball beneath it.

But my other experience is from trailer sailboats, maybe less than 2/3rds the weight of my E19. It's a lot easier to shift those single axle trailers than a dual axle E19 travel trailer for accurate ball-to-coupler positioning.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 06:18 PM   #28

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatboatz3 View Post
Does anyone know if the coupler issue has been resolved? I would like to know if the coupler was faulty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Either the yoke was defective, or someone trying to force it has bent it; either way, it can be pounded or pried back to where it should be.
And sure enough...
Quote:
Originally Posted by L in NV View Post
this is exactly what is going on. i tried gently banging on the yoke (i believe thats what the heel of my hand was hitting?) and it did move back some which allowed the teeth to sit correctly.
I doubt we'll ever know if the yoke was defective when manufactured, or someone trying to force it bent it before the owner received it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 03:36 PM   #29

Trailer: 2020 Escape
We were leaving for our first trip this weekend. At least we were. The coupler will not latch with or without ball. Call ETI sent video. They are discussing what to do. So we Have called And canceled our reservations. Looks like I will be having to modify this to get to a shop, cut off and replace with a decent coupler. Appears to have been stamped wrong.
DC Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 03:56 PM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
If coupler is defective they will grind off the weld. I would not use another ETI supplied RAM coupler however as they just are not as good as an Atwood yoke coupler it copied. I replaced my two year old RAM with an Atwood and have had no problems since, however one cannot buy an Atwood anymore after Dometic swallowed them. Many have gone with a Bulldog so I would be looking to see which one seems to work the best for our trailers and use that.
Old 02-26-2021, 03:59 PM   #31

Sorry about your trip. I’m sure I speak for all members that we hope you were fortunate enough to not suffer from the cold spell in Texas
Old 02-26-2021, 04:50 PM   #32

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Very sorry to hear about your trip cancellation, but personally not surprised.
I had nothing but problems with the coupler from ETI and replaced mine with a Bulldog last year. The coupler is no longer a part of our camping frustrations.
Buy a quality coupler and get it replaced so this never happens in the future. Only could imagine if that had happened at the campsite when you were ready to come home.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 07:20 PM   #33
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Had enough hassles with my 2014 coupler, so I ordered a Bulldog based on inputs from other campers and forums. Now to get it installed!

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 09:39 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Boyd View Post
We were leaving for our first trip this weekend. At least we were. The coupler will not latch with or without ball. Call ETI sent video. They are discussing what to do. So we Have called And canceled our reservations. Looks like I will be having to modify this to get to a shop, cut off and replace with a decent coupler. Appears to have been stamped wrong.
CD Boyd, Have been able to get your coupler to work and was ETI able to help resolve your problem?
I find it interesting that ETI has to have a video on how to unhitch you trailer.
Old 03-06-2021, 08:37 AM   #35

Trailer: 2021 21C
So I see a few members prefer the Bulldog coupler. I went to the Bulldog website and noted there are two different styles. Is there a preferred style? I have a bulldog on a utility trailer now and although I have no doubt it is secure once it is latched I find it difficult latching and unlatching.
Ryanb-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:42 AM   #36

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanb-72 View Post
So I see a few members prefer the Bulldog coupler. I went to the Bulldog website and noted there are two different styles. Is there a preferred style? I have a bulldog on a utility trailer now and although I have no doubt it is secure once it is latched I find it difficult latching and unlatching.
I asked a similar question previously. It sounds like most are going with the 7000# with low profile latch.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post366329
https://www.bulldogproducts.net/prod...railer-coupler
Old 03-06-2021, 12:51 PM   #37

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
A bit of both, but the existing supplied unit works. Faulty? I do know that there are better couplers out there, but so far I've found mine to work, but be touchy in careful positioning of the ball beneath it.

But my other experience is from trailer sailboats, maybe less than 2/3rds the weight of my E19. It's a lot easier to shift those single axle trailers than a dual axle E19 travel trailer for accurate ball-to-coupler positioning.
I think you nailed it on the head--I've towed many boats had never run into the issues I initially had with my escape coupler. Over time it loosened up and I've learned (thanks to the advice from this forum) to keep it well lubricated with lithium grease, which is essential. The option that I had with boats--to lean on the trailer tongue to get it to seat--simply isn't available with the escape.
cityofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 05:16 PM   #38

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I am not sure it is essential that you choose the 7000# model of the Bulldog hitch. After all the Escape trailer is a 5000# trailer, chances are your ball is 5000# and your hitch may also be 5000#. What is available maybe a better criteria, price difference is probably minor, weight?, shipping? are other considerations.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:07 PM   #39

Trailer: 2020 Escape
This is what ETI recommended to me with this problem. Place a 2x4 on upper part of latch and give a good wack with sledge. Worked like a charm. Did not have to cancel my first weekend trip.
The send a picture of where to place the 2x4. The upper part was bent not allowing ears to engage the frame and lock in place.
DC Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:16 PM   #40

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
That will only wear down the prongs over time. What I found almost by accident and use it regularly is:

First, while level and unhooking open the yoke. When on a downhill slope mostly flat put a chock 6" forward of the front tire and roll onto it. If slightly or more downhill put a chock behind.

Works the same when hitching and want to fully close to our hitch on in.