Dashboard Mount for Rear View Camera - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2018, 01:26 PM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Dashboard Mount for Rear View Camera

Love the rear view/back-up camera. Detested the suction mount that came with it. It never stayed up. Tricky cleaning off the imprint on the windscreen. I'm not that thin or agile any longer to get that far up on the window (least very easily).

We fiddled around with various ideas and this is the one that really, really works. As in yeah, it really works.

Dirk attached it to the mount that we were using on one of our Garmins. (Yep, Amazon got an order from us for another one.) It bounced around a bit, so I used some leftover pillow cover fabric and made a beanbag for the edge of the display to rest on. I used the beanbag pellets that I got from JoAnn's.

Been using it for over a year and it's been working great every single time.

There's enough room on the dash for it, the Garmin (on the same type of mount) and on my forthcoming trip, the display for the TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system).
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01837.jpg   DSC01838.jpg   DSC01839.jpg  
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:32 PM   #2

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Forgot to post the link to the mount:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And if you look closely at the monitor, you can see the area I back in to. I have to pull in to the side alley for the houses across the street from us, across the busy road (with Dirk saying "stop" or "go" over the phone via the truck's system), with a slight jog to the right and down the steep driveway. And watch out for the retaining walls on either side.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:36 PM   #3

Well well, will you look at this? Of course Amazon very nicely provided other things I might be interested in.

I've not measured the monitor screen, so I don't know if this would work, but if it does, it looks pretty nifty. I'll stick with my kitty beanbag though.

https://smile.amazon.com/ChargerCity...BSY9GS65Q5WT82
Old 04-18-2018, 01:36 PM   #4

Trailer: None now
If you own a recent Garmin GPS the BC-30 wireless camera works well. We had it in place for awhile then decided it was not really needed. I used a suction cup mount for it and you needed to remove one of the rear screens. It is weatherproof so it could be mounted outside. I just never bothered to do so. We had it wired for constant power and changed screens when we wanted to see what was behind us. You would be surprised how often a motorcycle or small car will be tucked in back there.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:37 PM   #5

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
would that Amazon bean bag thing fit the back up camera screen?
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:41 PM   #6

I haven't used mine yet i haven't figured out the best place to put the suction holder. I wondered it it held- I've had bad luck with some of them in the past.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
If you own a recent Garmin GPS the BC-30 wireless camera works well. We had it in place for awhile then decided it was not really needed. I used a suction cup mount for it and you needed to remove one of the rear screens. It is weatherproof so it could be mounted outside. I just never bothered to do so. We had it wired for constant power and changed screens when we wanted to see what was behind us. You would be surprised how often a motorcycle or small car will be tucked in back there.
We have one of those and used it as a sideview camera when I had a motorhome rental some years back. I didn't like how there was a time lag between switching screens. But for backing up, you certainly don't need your GPS data screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
would that Amazon bean bag thing fit the back up camera screen?
You'd have to measure the monitor and then read the specs on the product info section. I've not measured mine nor do I plan to. Plus, someone might have a different one than I do.

Another Escape owner saw my set up and encouraged me to post to the forum as they thought it was pretty nifty. They didn't like the window suction mount either.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:45 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
I haven't used mine yet i haven't figured out the best place to put the suction holder. I wondered it it held- I've had bad luck with some of them in the past.
I must have "stickier" spit than others. Now that the disgusting part is over, mine has stayed on the windshield for 6000 miles & 8 months. I do have it mounted so the bottom of the monitor rests on the dash...
Old 04-18-2018, 01:45 PM   #9

Quote:
It was pretty pathetic and kept falling off - not fun when you're driving, especially by yourself; therefore the need for something else.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:47 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
We just use the suction arm on the windshield for our Voyager moniter works very well . Years ago bought the bean bag and it isn't used and sits somewhere , don't even though where . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I must have "stickier" spit than others. Now that the discussing part is over, mine has stayed on the windshield for 6000 miles & 8 months. I do have it mounted so the bottom of the monitor rests on the dash...
That's where ours is mounted and it doesn't move . Pat
Old 04-18-2018, 01:53 PM   #12

ok i will try the suction cup holder before i buy /make anything. Might hold- my Ikea suction cups (in the bathroom) hold!
Old 04-18-2018, 01:53 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
One of the best reasons for not mounting something 'permanent' to the windshield or dash, is theft. A soft mount like Laura's, the unit can be easily removed and placed out of sight. GPS units, video camera monitors, etc. are often stolen and much damage done to a vehicle by the thief.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
One of the best reasons for not mounting something 'permanent' to the windshield or dash, is theft. A soft mount like Laura's, the unit can be easily removed and placed out of sight. GPS units, video camera monitors, etc. are often stolen and much damage done to a vehicle by the thief.
Our moniter and tire sensor moniter are easily removed . They just lift off . We always remove them and store them out of sight . Pat
Old 04-18-2018, 03:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Someone told me (or I read somewhere) that thieves will also look for the suction image on the windshield and figure the device might still be inside the vehicle.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Someone told me (or I read somewhere) that thieves will also look for the suction image on the windshield and figure the device might still be inside the vehicle.
Easy Peasy remove the suction holder which is for me a matter if lifting a little lever and removed . pat
Old 04-18-2018, 04:24 PM   #17

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Easy Peasy remove the suction holder which is for me a matter if lifting a little lever and removed . pat
Yes but she says the thieves will see the hickies on the windshield and know you have something they might want inside.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 06:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Yes but she says the thieves will see the hickies on the windshield and know you have something they might want inside.
I don't want hickies on the windshield , we carry windex and paper towels ! Pat
Old 04-18-2018, 09:26 PM   #19

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
It's worth noting that various states have various laws (with penalties for braking those laws) regarding how much of the driver's view out the windshield can be obstructed by things such as dashcams and rear-view camera monitors (Laws | Windshield Law and the GPS Receiver | POI Factory) and if the dashcam records audio (some do), state laws regarding the legality of that if people don't know their voice is being recorded (example: a cop pulls you over, comes to your window and starts talking to you without knowing the conversation is being recorded by a dashcam; https://www.rcfp.org/rcfp/orders/docs/RECORDING.pdf). Just saying....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Oh you guys! I never would say "hickies". I'd say "thingies". Get your terminology correct, will ya?