Diesel EGT - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2019, 07:56 PM   #21

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Could you post a photo of your truck? Am thinking it may look pretty wild. John in Santa Cruz has a diesel F250 he pulls a 21 with and loves it.
Sorry I can't take a picture. No camera and I don't have or want a 'smart phone' My truck looks no different than any other
Old 07-21-2019, 08:30 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75thRanger View Post
Sorry I can't take a picture. No camera and I don't have or want a 'smart phone' My truck looks no different than any other
Well burst my bubble! I was hoping for flames or a lightening bolt.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:30 AM   #23

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farther View Post
Remember colonel, rank has no privilege here. This forum may be similar to the NCO Club. In many states, if you get caught with red in your fuel system and being on the road you can be subject to fines, sometimes steep.

I thought the whole point of dyed farm fuel was to remove road use taxes under the assumption that the vehicle was for farm use only, no? Are the rules different in Texas? Otherwise, I suppose your plot of farm land would have to be fairly substantial to make for some varied camping with an Escape.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:23 AM   #24

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
I thought the whole point of dyed farm fuel was to remove road use taxes under the assumption that the vehicle was for farm use only, no? Are the rules different in Texas? Otherwise, I suppose your plot of farm land would have to be fairly substantial to make for some varied camping with an Escape.
Our family farm is indeed substantial and has been so for many years. If farm vehicles were restricted to the farm, why bother with plates? I won't comment any more on this. I should not have brought up taxes of any kind.

Thread has wandered a bit. No different that any other tho. I do it as much or more as anyone else. Kinda fun seeing how far one can get off the subject. Simple pleasures are the best!
Old 07-22-2019, 09:59 AM   #25

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I thought the whole point of dyed farm fuel was to remove road use taxes under the assumption that the vehicle was for farm use only, no?
"Farm use" and use on the farm" are not the same. A truck hauling supplies to the farm or products away from it on a public road is being used for the farm, even though it is not on the farm, and thus the purpose of farm license plates. The logic is more of a type of financial assistance to farmers than as an exemption from "road tax" for non-road vehicles; if it were just a road versus off-road thing, construction and mining equipment would get tax-exempt fuel, too. The question is then whether or not to allow additional uses of the farm truck... but none of this matters to the appropriate exhaust gas temperature for a diesel engine.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:38 AM   #26

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
See here for a detailed explanation of farms and excise fuel taxes
https://taxmap.irs.gov/taxmap/pubs/p225-064.htm
Old 07-22-2019, 11:05 AM   #27

A sustained temperature of 1200 degrees measured just before the turbo is considered a safe limit by many diesel experts.

2012 Escape 19'
2013 F350 crewcab 4x4
Paul S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:30 AM   #28

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
"Farm use" and use on the farm" are not the same. A truck hauling supplies to the farm or products away from it on a public road is being used for the farm, even though it is not on the farm, and thus the purpose of farm license plates. The logic is more of a type of financial assistance to farmers than as an exemption from "road tax" for non-road vehicles; if it were just a road versus off-road thing, construction and mining equipment would get tax-exempt fuel, too. The question is then whether or not to allow additional uses of the farm truck... but none of this matters to the appropriate exhaust gas temperature for a diesel engine.

Looks like farm vehicles may be used off the farm for business purposes, but not on highways. Don’t see an exemption that fits travel trailering. From the IRS site that Jim linked:

“The nontaxable uses of fuel for which a farmer may claim a credit or refund are generally the following.

Use on a farm for farming purposes.

Off-highway business use.

Uses other than as a fuel in a propulsion engine, such as home use.”
Old 07-22-2019, 12:03 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S. View Post
A sustained temperature of 1200 degrees measured just before the turbo is considered a safe limit by many diesel experts.
Thanks Paul. That seems to be the position for most I've talked to over the years. As I said before, I get an alert at 1150 and lets me know I need to start being aware of the EGT. I will downshift and/or back off a bit at 1250.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:05 PM   #30

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Big Farms

Quote:
A friend of mine from college returned to his home in Texas to farm with his dad. I went down to see him and talk over old times.
The first morning I was there he said we were going to tour the ranch. He said “we will get in my pickup and drive west. When the sun sets, we will still be on my land!”
I thought about that statement for a minute and said, “you know, I had a pickup like that once.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote