Diesel EGT - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2019, 07:17 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Diesel EGT

Thought I would ask for comments from folks who tow with diesel TVs.

Max/safe EGT (exhaust gas temp) is my topic here.

I pick up my 21 next month and will be returning home thru the mountain west so there will be plenty of fairly steep grades to negotiate on the roads I like to travel on. My EGT must be monitored when on these grades because I have added increased performance devices.

I have a 2002 Ford 7.3L bullitpruf diesel with several after market devices that can have some affect on EGT.

Banks Power 'Big Hoss Diesel Tuner' configured to increase HP by 85 and I can't remember the torque increase.

Stacked with the Banks 'Six Gun Tuner' set to level 3 usually. Level 1 is for sissies and level 6 is a Moltengator. Towing is done at the lower levels. EGT and boost are displayed.

Replaced stock turbo with Garrett upgrade and added the Banks 'Big Head Wastegate' to it.
four inch up and down pipes to a huge Banks Intercooler.
AFE fresh air intake for air feed.

Four inch straight thru exhaust.

I have the Banks exhaust brake but can't see that having any effect on the EGT

I have my EGT alarm set to 1150. No problem with 1150 but it's time to start monitoring it closely here.

I have talked to many about this and opinions are all over the place. I think 1200 is a safe level and anything over that for extended periods should be considered risky. Short bursts of 1400 or so such as acceleration are ok but don't extend it. This is my thinking.

Be interested to hear from others more knowledgeable than I about their thinking on monitoring their EGT in hilly/mountain country.

For those Diesel TV owners with stock engines, don't concern yourself with this. Those of us who have added various tuners to increase performance need to be aware of EGT.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:53 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Wow, until two years ago I drove diesels for 25 years, mostly Fords and one Dodge, and had never heard of EGT less had to be concerned with it. Did I miss something?

I did tow my Escapes on shorter mountain trips with them, and they did not even realize they were there to much of a degree and everything went just fine. Even pulling heavier work trailers there was never an engine issue.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:03 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I would get a new truck, yours is grossly over what is needed and unless you will be towing your other units, overkill. Can you return your unit to stock? that may help, but you have set it up for work it will never perform with the Escape, like towing with a race car and worrying about overheating at speeds under 100 mph...you understand my point?
Old 07-20-2019, 09:21 AM   #4

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I would get a new truck, yours is grossly over what is needed and unless you will be towing your other units, overkill. Can you return your unit to stock? that may help, but you have set it up for work it will never perform with the Escape, like towing with a race car and worrying about overheating at speeds under 100 mph...you understand my point?

He’s got way too much time and $ invested to give that truck up without a really compelling reason. Either the truck can’t cut it in some way, or something else is even more tempting. That gives me an idea...

Say, Charles, you could trade your rig in for a Raptor!
Old 07-20-2019, 10:44 AM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Wow, until two years ago I drove diesels for 25 years, mostly Fords and one Dodge, and had never heard of EGT less had to be concerned with it. Did I miss something?
No, you haven't missed anything, because you were presumably driving with stock engines. In contrast...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75thRanger View Post
... My EGT must be monitored when on these grades because I have added increased performance devices.
Older aircraft and very old cars have a "mixture" control - using it is a bit like tweaking an old manual choke all of the time (and of course does not apply to a diesel). Since the pilot or driver has control of how rich the air:fuel mixture is, the result of the adjustment must be monitored regularly, and so these aircraft have exhaust gas and cylinder head temperature gauges. In modern vehicles of any kind, this is all done by automatic controls, so the operator doesn't have anything to adjust and doesn't need to monitor anything... fortunately, since most people would do this very poorly. A modern standard of emissions control is not achievable with manual tweaking of fuel mixture.

For almost everyone now:
Quote:
For those Diesel TV owners with stock engines, don't concern yourself with this. Those of us who have added various tuners to increase performance need to be aware of EGT.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:15 AM   #6

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
I have a 2002 Ford 7.3L bullitpruf diesel with several after market devices that can have some affect on EGT.
So you are saying that your Ford 7.3 is not "bullitpruf"?
Old 07-20-2019, 03:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farther View Post
So you are saying that your Ford 7.3 is not "bullitpruf"?
It is indeed bullitpruf. 330K and better than a new one. The 7.3L is the best! I have replaced some units, starter, alternator, etc but the engine itself has not cost me a nickel.

Service has been performed rigorously
Old 07-20-2019, 03:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
He’s got way too much time and $ invested to give that truck up without a really compelling reason. Either the truck can’t cut it in some way, or something else is even more tempting. That gives me an idea...

Say, Charles, you could trade your rig in for a Raptor!
What kind of Raptor? You have your eagles and then your hawks
Old 07-20-2019, 03:50 PM   #9

Quote:
My truck is a 'Farm Truck' as defined by Texas DMV rules and indeed 'Farm Truck' is on the plate. I pay no fuel taxes and get other tax breaks also. I do just about everything but engage in our local sled pulling contests.

I know I don't need this truck to pull the Escape but I ain't buying another just to pull it with. Altho that would be a good reason to go look at news ones. hmmmm
Old 07-20-2019, 03:53 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Couldn’t you just revert the truck back to the original factory equipment.
and eliminate the problem ? . As it came from the factory the truck is certainly capable of towing any fiberglass trailer on the market
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 04:02 PM   #11

What happens when a Texas farm truck is in Nebraska and buys gas? Or Is it only allowable in Texas, just curious, any picture of the beast?
Old 07-20-2019, 04:05 PM   #12

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
No, you haven't missed anything, because you were presumably driving with stock engines. In contrast...

Older aircraft and very old cars have a "mixture" control - using it is a bit like tweaking an old manual choke all of the time (and of course does not apply to a diesel). Since the pilot or driver has control of how rich the air:fuel mixture is, the result of the adjustment must be monitored regularly, and so these aircraft have exhaust gas and cylinder head temperature gauges. In modern vehicles of any kind, this is all done by automatic controls, so the operator doesn't have anything to adjust and doesn't need to monitor anything... fortunately, since most people would do this very poorly. A modern standard of emissions control is not achievable with manual tweaking of fuel mixture.

For almost everyone now:
Remember my question? Do you have any thoughts on the max safe EGT?

Not real concerned about the cylinder head. If I keep the EGT within bounds that will take care of itself.

I do remember using a choke. Remember when the starter was on the floor just above the accelerator pedal. Push that sucker with your toe and pump the acc with your heel.

Good ole days, yeah, right!
Old 07-20-2019, 04:14 PM   #13

and the high beam button was down there also.......
Old 07-20-2019, 05:41 PM   #14

Quote:
What happens when a Texas farm truck is in Nebraska and buys gas? Or Is it only allowable in Texas, just curious, any picture of the beast?
If the station has a farm pump I can buy it there. There is no tax added to the cost. Tx has some very severe penalties if caught using that fuel if you are not entitled to.

In TX a dye is added to the fuel and is easy to see if checked.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Couldn’t you just revert the truck back to the original factory equipment.
and eliminate the problem ? . As it came from the factory the truck is certainly capable of towing any fiberglass trailer on the market
No way would I reverse my mods! I didn't intend to imply that the truck had a problem. Far from it! It does the work that I require of it around the farm with ease.

I was simply curious about others opinions of a safe level EGT if they had any experience with same. The max/safe level opinions I asked for would apply to any diesel with performance equipment
Old 07-21-2019, 04:55 PM   #16

Quote:
No way would I reverse my mods! I didn't intend to imply that the truck had a problem. Far from it! It does the work that I require of it around the farm with ease.

I was simply curious about others opinions of a safe level EGT if they had any experience with same. The max/safe level opinions I asked for would apply to any diesel with performance equipment
Just info. I can revert to stock engine electronics in about 10 min. I just replace my Banks board with the original and use a bypass plug for the Six Gun tuner.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:06 PM   #17

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
Remember my question? Do you have any thoughts on the max safe EGT?
Remember colonel, rank has no privilege here. This forum may be similar to the NCO Club. In many states, if you get caught with red in your fuel system and being on the road you can be subject to fines, sometimes steep.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:21 PM   #18

IRS used to have a fleet of mobile inspectors for on/off road diesel use excise tax violations, they always look a tow truck when they set up inspections, normally at state borders. Do not know if they still do the same nowadays. With budget cuts, I'm sure that was first to go.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:11 PM   #19

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
"Farm use" doesn't necessarily mean "off road". In Alberta, a farmer is exempted from a $0.09/litre provincial tax regardless of how the fuel is used. There was an additional $0.06/litre subsidy for fuel actually used for farming operations, but that has been discontinued. I assume that discounted (marked) fuel needs to be in a vehicle registered to a farmer, with farm plates, but apparently it can be hauling a travel trailer down a highway.

In the local case (Alberta, Saskatchwan...) the tax savings of farm fuel are not enough to justify running a large vehicle, since it is less than 10% of the cost of fuel.

I have no idea what the Texas rules are. It is certainly worth checking the rules in your own area if taking advantage of programs like this.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 06:43 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Could you post a photo of your truck? Am thinking it may look pretty wild. John in Santa Cruz has a diesel F250 he pulls a 21 with and loves it.