Do I even need an equalizer hitch? Help - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2015, 08:32 AM   #1

Trailer: 2006 Casita/2016 Escape
Do I even need an equalizer hitch? Help

Trying to finalize our 21' build sheet by tomorrow and having difficulty with selecting a EQ hitch - or not. We will wait till May to pick up so we can attend the 2016 Escape Rally as one of our first stops.

I have been pulling a 17' Casita with my 2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7 V8 2WD and don't even know it's behind me. I have a sway bar but don't notice any difference with or without it. I had a Toy Hauler before and it's so nice to have one less (heavy) piece of equip to deal with.

Do I even need an equalizer hitch to pull the 21' comfortably and safely? Does anyone out there pull a 21' without one?

If I need one, here's another issue. I recently traded my Harley for a new Vespa which will fit in the back of my Tundra. That adds about 325 pounds (pretty much centered over the back wheel - but sometimes I will leave the scooter at home.

I understand the E2 adjustments are set when bolted to the trailer. Will I have to unbolt everything to make adjustments when bringing the Vespa. If so, I probably need a different hitch - like the Anderson or Pro model that uses chains and a different settings can be selected during the normal pain in the A set-up process.

Hoping I won't need an EQ hitch but have little experience with RV'ing and would greatly appreciate some feedback and suggestions.

Thanks, Kenny
Kenny L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:59 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 2002 Tundra 4x4 V-8 tow package.
Kenny,
I tow my 21 with a 2002 Tundra without a WDH. I was also in question of weather to get one or not, so I thought I'd try without one first. My biggest concern was keeping trailer and tug LEVEL . I used a product called a " Sumo Spring" They work essentialy like an air bag. So with everything level my tow experience is great, I'm not going with a WDH. Not to exceed the payload is a challenge for me.

Craig
craiginpetaluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:32 AM   #3

Thanks

That's new to me. I will look into it. Kenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by craiginpetaluma View Post
Kenny,
I tow my 21 with a 2002 Tundra without a WDH. I was also in question of weather to get one or not, so I thought I'd try without one first. My biggest concern was keeping trailer and tug LEVEL . I used a product called a " Sumo Spring" They work essentialy like an air bag. So with everything level my tow experience is great, I'm not going with a WDH. Not to exceed the payload is a challenge for me.

Craig
Old 11-02-2015, 10:12 AM   #4

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Hi Kenny,
Timbren SES is another option for non airbag helper springs...
TORTUN4 - Rear Axle SES Suspension Upgrade - Timbren Ind

I'd leave the WDH off the build sheet and see how you like how it pulls. Easy to add later if you want.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:42 AM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19', 2010 Toyota Tacoma TRD DCLB 4X4
Although, not the same set up. I tow a 19 foot with 2010 Tacoma 4x4 DCLB without a weight distribution hitch. Just the two of us and maybe 400 lbs max in the box. Have no problem keeping it level and no sway problems.
smac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:25 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 2002 Tundra 4x4 V-8 tow package.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw View Post
Hi Kenny,
Timbren SES is another option for non airbag helper springs...
TORTUN4 - Rear Axle SES Suspension Upgrade - Timbren Ind

I'd leave the WDH off the build sheet and see how you like how it pulls. Easy to add later if you want.
I looked at the Timbren. Stiffer at 6000LB rated. SUMO spring was at 1000LB. I'm very pleased with type of spring help. My truck would drop 3" when loaded with #500 tounge weight, only 1/2 inch drop with the the SUMO spring, and NO noticeable stiffer ride when unloaded. I don't need to worry about Air leakage and or adjusting the pressure.
craiginpetaluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:08 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny L View Post
I recently traded my Harley for a new Vespa...
It looks like you need one of these for your jacket (from http://savage.andruschak.net/FTP/hardly-a-davidson.gif):
Attached Images

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:24 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
One of the hardest decisions made on the build sheet was whether to get the WDH or not. We got the Andersen hitch and it worked like it was supposed to on the way home. On the second trip the cone developed a growl, so I threw the chains off and brought it home without. I have a heavy enough tow where I wouldn't need one, but I could tell the difference. Without the WDH there was a little more bounce where with it, it was like one solid unit. I will get the new sleeve installed in the hitch and try it again. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:00 AM   #9

Thank you!

I appreciate your feedback. I thought my best bet would be the Anderson, but maybe not. I plan to do a lot of traveling in 2016. Kenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
One of the hardest decisions made on the build sheet was whether to get the WDH or not. We got the Andersen hitch and it worked like it was supposed to on the way home. On the second trip the cone developed a growl, so I threw the chains off and brought it home without. I have a heavy enough tow where I wouldn't need one, but I could tell the difference. Without the WDH there was a little more bounce where with it, it was like one solid unit. I will get the new sleeve installed in the hitch and try it again. Loren
Old 11-03-2015, 07:26 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape
Equalizer Sway Control Hitches 6,000 lb 90-00-0600
True equalizer hitch.
Works very well and have not needed to replace any parts after 4k miles.
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:32 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I would wait until you tow with the Tundra. I do not need one with my Ram, but I have an Andersen set up which I use on my cross country trips to Osoyoos Escape rally. Gives me a safer mind set in case of an emergency stop. But towing locally I use -0-.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:14 AM   #12

Thank you!!!

I really appreciate you sharing your experience. Thanks, Kenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I would wait until you tow with the Tundra. I do not need one with my Ram, but I have an Andersen set up which I use on my cross country trips to Osoyoos Escape rally. Gives me a safer mind set in case of an emergency stop. But towing locally I use -0-.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:19 AM   #13

Yea, yea!

That's great! I needed a laugh and you made my day! Kenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It looks like you need one of these for your jacket (from http://savage.andruschak.net/FTP/hardly-a-davidson.gif):
Old 11-03-2015, 09:15 AM   #14

Looks like the E2, but how about when...

Looks like the E2, but it seems you set this hitch up for the height of truck and trailer. What do I do on my next trip when I put an extra 350 lb.s in the truck bed it drops the hitch 3 inches? Unbolt everything and adjust? Kenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
Equalizer Sway Control Hitches 6,000 lb 90-00-0600
True equalizer hitch.
Works very well and have not needed to replace any parts after 4k miles.
Old 11-03-2015, 03:01 PM   #15

Unlike the E2 hitch the Equalizer hitch has sway control. To adjust for different weights of the tow vehicle or trailer the adjustment is made at the brackets attached to the trailer A-frame. The whole hitch assembly does not have to be unbolted ! All equalizer hitches should be adjusted for major weight changes in the trailer and tow vehicle before towing.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:43 PM   #16

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny L View Post
Looks like the E2, but it seems you set this hitch up for the height of truck and trailer. What do I do on my next trip when I put an extra 350 lb.s in the truck bed it drops the hitch 3 inches? Unbolt everything and adjust? Kenny
I agree that this is an issue, with any WD system that is not trivial to adjust.

As an alternative, you could add air springs (such as Firestone Ride-Rite) to the truck, and adjust the air pressure to maintain the same ball height as before hitching, so that the same WD system adjustment would continue to be appropriate. It would likely take only moderate pressure to maintain any desired ride height up to the stock empty height with any load, and very little with just the scooter. Of course, with the air springs you might find that you have no need for the WD system, as long as the rear axle load stays reasonable when both scooter and trailer are added.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:24 AM   #17

Trailer: 2016 21 Escape "Wishbone", 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I agree that this is an issue, with any WD system that is not trivial to adjust.

As an alternative, you could add air springs (such as Firestone Ride-Rite) to the truck, and adjust the air pressure to maintain the same ball height as before hitching, so that the same WD system adjustment would continue to be appropriate. It would likely take only moderate pressure to maintain any desired ride height up to the stock empty height with any load, and very little with just the scooter. Of course, with the air springs you might find that you have no need for the WD system, as long as the rear axle load stays reasonable when both scooter and trailer are added.
I was going to try the air springs as a first approach before the equalizer hitch. My left leaf springs have sacked so the LHS is about 1/2-3/4" lower than the RHS. I was thinking I could add a little more air on that side to accommodate the sag even when not towing. It was suggested I route the air lines up by the fuel filler neck for ease of applying air adjustment. That would certainly be easier for those with the 5.0.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:59 AM   #18

Is your goal to obtain a level tow or sway control ?
Old 11-04-2015, 10:14 AM   #19

Trailer: 2006 8.5' Alaskan. 2008 Scamp 16. 2015 Escape 21
I pulled my Scamp 16 with a Ram 1500 without a WD hitch and am now towing an Escape 21 with the same truck, also without a WD hitch. The Scamp is probably about the same size and weight as your Casita and the Ram 1500 is probably comparable in size and weight to your Tundra. I have pulled the Escape 2600 miles so far. I was sure I would need a WD hitch for the Escape and bought one, but it is still in a box in the garage. The Escape has excellent towing manners. There is less bounce than with the Scamp and absolutely no tendency to sway. Perhaps this is a benefit of tandem axles? The back of my truck settles about 2.5 inches under the tongue weight.
Ditchrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:34 AM   #20

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape
Ditchrider - I think you may have an answer for me about towing with a Ram pickup. I have a Ram 2011, 1500 4x4 with a 21' Escape to be picked up in April 2016, and have been wrestling with purchasing a WDH. I towed a 2012 Casita without a WDH or sway control and had zero problems.

I did have problems lowering my tailgate and hitting the jack handle with the Casita. Do you have that issue with your Ram truck? I understand that 2012 and newer Rams have a slightly shorter tailgate and may not have this problem.

Thanks to your comments, I will forgo the WDH. When you measure from the hole in the shank that attached to your hitch, to the center of the ball, do you need a longer shank to make sure you don't hit the jack handle? I've been looking at some that are from 10" to 18". Any comments would be appreciated.

I have been to Walden a number of times, first being 1973, last being 2015. Walden has grown as have most Colorado towns. I lived in Colorado for many years and and plan to spend time there with our Escape. I will stop by the Love store next time I am there and ask where the Walden ditchrider lives, get directions and stop by.
ronkat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build sheet, hitch, newbies, tow, towing vehicle