Do I need a WDH for 21C and F-150? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2021, 01:08 AM   #41

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWM3 View Post
I see that now. Also looked at the Equal-i-zer web site. Only problem is, I don't have a torque wrench that will go to 320 ft-lbs. And they cost as much as the hitch.

Don
Use a little LocTite thread locker and make it tight.
Old 10-29-2021, 04:11 AM   #42
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWM3 View Post
I see that now. Also looked at the Equal-i-zer web site. Only problem is, I don't have a torque wrench that will go to 320 ft-lbs. And they cost as much as the hitch.

Don
I used an impact 6 sided socket, and a large 1/2" breaker bar.... I put the ball mount in the truck receiver sideways, and bounced all my weight on the breaker bar. Good enough!
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 07:16 AM   #43

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Not sure type of suspension on the Ford, but the Ram has coil springs and I installed air bags inside the springs to keep sag to a minimum.
Old 10-29-2021, 11:52 AM   #44
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Not sure type of suspension on the Ford, but the Ram has coil springs and I installed air bags inside the springs to keep sag to a minimum.
Ford F series trucks use leaf springs, and airbags are even easier to fit. I put them on my leaf sprung Tacoma TRD Offroad 4x4 when we had our Casita as that combination was prone to 'pitching' on bumps, and it made the ride 10X better, and for every day round town usage, you deflate the airbags back to a holding pressure of 5PSI, and the trucks ride is stock comfortable.
Old 10-29-2021, 01:40 PM   #45

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Even better would be the factory air suspension option, but the bags-in-coils work, too. With a leaf spring suspension a different add-on air spring can be used:The air bags which fit inside coils do not work with all coil-spring suspensions, due to the way some coil springs are mounted.
The "helper" air springs used with leaf spring suspensions have more complex construction and are more expensive, but can be easier to install because access is easier (than stuffing polyurethane bladders into coils).

Current conventional pickup trucks all use rear leaf springs, except for the coil springs in:
  • Ram (all models)
  • Ford Raptor - starting 2021
  • Toyota Tundra - starting 2022
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 03:04 PM   #46

Trailer: 2021
Pulled our 21ne from Iowa to New Mexico with no wdh on our 2020 f150 3.5 liter with tow package. Smooth city....so far
johnnyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 09:12 PM   #47

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
You'll never know

You'll never know the difference between WITH and WITHOUT a WDH until you do the road test in both configurations, in varying road surface conditions, the rougher & bumpier the better.
Ignorance is bliss, they say. Do the comparison, I'd recommend.
This topic is so old, so tired and discussed so many times in past posts, and all based on opinions, feelings and notions...........I hereby promise, never to respond to this topic ever again.

Until.........

P.S. I employ a WDH, and don't need one.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 11:57 PM   #48

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
.... With a leaf spring suspension a different add-on air spring can be used:....
I've had the Firestone Ride-Rite #2350 on my 2005 F150 along with the B&W Turnoverball gooseneck hitch for well over a decade. Never exceeding the truck's original load rating of course, but towing a huge range of gooseneck and non-WDH bumper-pull trailers (lots of heavy ag and utility towing) the Ride-Rite's allow tweaking the headlights to proper (or near proper) aim for night driving and smooth-out the ride.

Having said that I don't consider them a substitute for a WDH with bumper-pull trailers, IMO air-bags offer some but not all of the same benefits, and to a lesser degree. But with a 'bed-hitch trailer' like my 5.0TA + Andersen hitch the bags allow tweaking to 'perfect level attitude' of both truck and trailer, which I appreciate .

The Ride-Rite's been a trouble-free joy to own, I love 'em, I don't hesitate to recommend 'em if you have the need for such and they will fit your application.

Note if you have a pickup with a turnoverball or 5th wheel rails using a frame mounting system: Be sure to confirm compatibility between that and the air-bag system before buying - not all particular brand/model combinations 'play nice together' (interference between the mounting components at the frame rails). Firestone makes the generic statement that the 2350 Ride-Rite's I have are not compatible with bed hitches, but B&W and eTrailer both tested and confirmed that they are compatible with my specific B&W Turnoverball and truck with no interference, and they were correct .

Just FYI, Have Fun!
Old 10-30-2021, 07:48 AM   #49

Trailer: 2018 21
When I picked up our 21 in Dec of 18 i towed it back to Atlanta without a WDH. It was a 3500 mile nightmare. Especially on I5 with all the concrete offset slabs. When I got home I installed an Anderson hitch and Timberlin bump stops. When the hitch is adjusted the truck sits level, the trailer sits level and it drives so well I sometimes forget there's a trailer back there. This is with close to 40 thousand miles on it now.
BTW, I had one of the older models and after a year the friction material began to extrude from the housing. I sent Anderson a picture and they shipped me a new style hitch for free. Good service!
rotorbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 11:21 AM   #50

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Escape offers weight distributing(WD) hitch systems... but if you don't need the weight distribution feature, you don't need any of them, and none are included in the base price and equipment.

Some tow vehicles require the use of a WD system if the tongue weight is over a certain limit, some don't allow the use of a WD systems, some don't handle high tongue weight well without WD, and if not required it's a matter of personal preference. The trailer has a coupler for a 2" ball; your tow vehicle needs a 2" ball on whatever holds it up (normally just a ball mount inserted in a receiver structure, but it can be any kind of WD hitch head instead).

You can add whatever weight distribution hitch hardware you like, if you want, whenever you want. If you do want a weight distribution system, you don't need to get it from Escape - it's not specifically designed for the trailer and not built into the trailer when the trailer is manufactured. Escape just makes it convenient for you to buy it through them, and they presumably still install the part which goes on the trailer. The part that goes on the tow vehicle must still be set up properly - Escape may do that for you if you go to the factory, anyone who sells these systems should be able to do it for you, and you can do it yourself.

There's nothing special about the WD hitches offered by Escape. The "Pro Series" is just a typical basic design, and the Fastway E2 is a moderately priced and straightforward example of a design with more sway-controlling friction designed in. Every brand and design probably has some fans, some who hate it, some advantages, and some issues.
I’d like to add to your explanation, for instance my 2004 f-150 requires a wdh if you tow over 5000 lbs, to enable the maximum tow capacity of 8500 lbs
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 09:05 PM   #51
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I've towed my 19 (smaller and lighter than the OP's trailer in question) with and without a WDH, all with an F150, in many different conditions. My conclusion (and a completely subjective and non-scientific one at that) is that whenever I just need to get the trailer from my house to a shop, I don't bother with the WDH. When I'm headed out on a trip, I use it. It reduces 'porpoising' and makes the tow and trailer operate as one solid unit. Sway is non-existent. I'm sure there's no technical need to redistribute the weight (the primary purpose of a WDH) but there are other benefits so I stick with it.
Old 11-07-2021, 10:09 PM   #52

Trailer: 2018 -21-picked up in May 2019 / 2018 F 150 5.0
We have a 21 and an F 150 and we use the Fastway WDH we got from Escape. For us it was not a matter of need but I wanted to have our trips to be a comfortable as possible so we went with the WDH. I am sure our truck could handle the 21 with out the WDH but it helps make it a more "steady" tow.
yangstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 10:23 PM   #53

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
I know this is an old thread but I need to add our experience.

We (meaning my husband) has been pulling our 2015 21 without a WDH for the last 5 plus years. He always felt it wasn't necessary given that he could just slow down when the winds were bad, and it wasn't worth the hassle of setting it up.

Well a couple of times lately we've been in heavy cross winds which we managed by slowing down, but it was pretty stressful driving. The trailer didn't sway a lot, but there definitely was some sway. After lots of research I pretty much said I would only go on the next trip if we got the WDH. My concern was that the cross wind would hit at the same time some other problematic thing would happen like a dangerous on ramp, whatever. And then of course something could go terribly wrong.

So we just completed our first 6 week trip with the E2 Fastway hitch. I can't tell you how many times my husband asked why I didn't make him do that sooner. We always arrived at our destination much more relaxed than before. The driving was so much better for 3 main reasons:

1. The ride is much smoother. The truck and trailer work as one so no porpoising etc.
2. No sway. We were in super strong winds on multiple occasions. You could definitely feel the gusts but not as bad as before, and the trailer moved with the truck. There was no sway. In the past we have definitely had to deal with sway.
3. Way less stress making for a much more relaxed ride. Because everything handled better we were able to drive faster (still within 7 - 10 miles of the speed limit) which meant that we weren't confined to the slow lane. So we didn't have to put up with the potholes that tend to be in the slow lane, nor dealing with the constant onramp traffic. Oh and because we were going faster when semis zoomed past the difference in our speeds wasn't as great so we weren't getting sucked in like we used to.

Once we got everything installed properly (trailer was riding too high at first) the setup of the hitch only added a few minutes to connect and disconnect time. It was an insignificant price to pay when compared to the benefits.
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 11:15 PM   #54

Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
I know this is an old thread but I need to add our experience.

We (meaning my husband) has been pulling our 2015 21 without a WDH for the last 5 plus years. He always felt it wasn't necessary given that he could just slow down when the winds were bad, and it wasn't worth the hassle of setting it up.

Well a couple of times lately we've been in heavy cross winds which we managed by slowing down, but it was pretty stressful driving. The trailer didn't sway a lot, but there definitely was some sway. After lots of research I pretty much said I would only go on the next trip if we got the WDH. My concern was that the cross wind would hit at the same time some other problematic thing would happen like a dangerous on ramp, whatever. And then of course something could go terribly wrong.

So we just completed our first 6 week trip with the E2 Fastway hitch. I can't tell you how many times my husband asked why I didn't make him do that sooner. We always arrived at our destination much more relaxed than before.
Jill,

This is good information. I have probably been waffling about trying a WDH for too long. I don't experience any sway, but I can't say I'm 100% comfortable towing like I was with our two previous trailer and tow vehicle combinations.

Are you towing with the Ford F150 2.7 EcoBoost listed in your profile?
Old 03-06-2022, 12:25 AM   #55
Site Team

I towed a Casita with a Tacoma using a WDH and then later getting airbags and better shocks, and in that specific case, I was perfectly happy ditching the WDH. its not that I minded hitching up the WDH, but taking it off the truck and stowing it when at a campsite was a pain.

That same Tacoma with RideRite airbags hauled our 'new' Escape 21 foot back from Texas to the left coast just fine, no issue porpoising, no wind gust issues, and we went through all sorts of weather on that mid winter trip.

I've been hauling the Escape around all over the western states with an F250 long bed diesel 4x4 and felt zero need for a WDH. The F250 shrugs off the 500 lbs tongue weight, and just hauls it like a champ, I mean, its rated to hitch tow 12500 lbs. I had a towball come off the tow bar and the 4500 lb trailer whipping around on the safety chains, and was able to bring it under control with that truck. exciting but not life threatening.

I am actually thinking of downsizing our tow vehicle, the long bed f250 cab-n-a-half with its 158" wheelbase (13'2") has a 62 foot turning circle, which makes backing up the trailer in tight quarters really really hard. and frankly, the old reliable 7.3 Powerstroke is a *LOUD* engine, and even when the truck is heavily loaded, its ride is barely adequate.

Toying with getting a late model Expedition SUV, but dayum, they are expensive.

If I had a lighter tow vehicle and the 'porpoising' thing was happening, for sure I'd use a WDH, ditto if the vehicle steering felt even a little light, I'm all about control.
Old 03-06-2022, 09:50 AM   #56

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Jill,

This is good information. I have probably been waffling about trying a WDH for too long. I don't experience any sway, but I can't say I'm 100% comfortable towing like I was with our two previous trailer and tow vehicle combinations.

Are you towing with the Ford F150 2.7 EcoBoost listed in your profile?

Yes same truck, super cab [emoji3]. And we do not have 4 wheel drive, our only regret on the truck.
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 11:49 AM   #57

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:

The driving was so much better for 3 main reasons:

1. The ride is much smoother. The truck and trailer work as one so no porpoising etc.
2. No sway. We were in super strong winds on multiple occasions. You could definitely feel the gusts but not as bad as before, and the trailer moved with the truck. There was no sway. In the past we have definitely had to deal with sway.
3. Way less stress making for a much more relaxed ride. Because everything handled better we were able to drive faster (still within 7 - 10 miles of the speed limit) which meant that we weren't confined to the slow lane. So we didn't have to put up with the potholes that tend to be in the slow lane, nor dealing with the constant onramp traffic. Oh and because we were going faster when semis zoomed past the difference in our speeds wasn't as great so we weren't getting sucked in like we used to.

Once we got everything installed properly (trailer was riding too high at first) the setup of the hitch only added a few minutes to connect and disconnect time. It was an insignificant price to pay when compared to the benefits.
Quote:
Yes same truck, super cab [emoji3]. And we do not have 4 wheel drive, our only regret on the truck.
Good summary, my thoughts exactly. I always kind of roll my eyes when I see someone pose the question "do I need a WDH?" The answer of course is, no, you don't need a WDH but it sure is nicer with one.

Ah, 2.7 ecoboost, Supercab, best tow vehicle ever. However I don't regret not getting the extra weight 4WD.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 10:16 AM   #58

Trailer: 2013 Escape '19
I've a 2013 19' and 2011 Ford F150 4x4 SuperCrew 5.5 box.
Point to ponder....rear suspension/leaf springs on F-150's are relative soft. A F-250 and your golden.
To correct the 'softness' I installed a R.A.S - "Roadmaster Active Suspension" kit. ABSOLUTELY the best item added to stabilize the inherit-porpoising while towing. There not cheap, camper & truck weren't either. But out of all approaches tried, the R.A.S was hands down the best.
Had a Husky WDH years ago, with a Casita. Sold the Casita along with the WDH. Move onto the current ESCAPE 19, and brought an Anderson WDH. Found the Anderson, from a weight distribution perspective as well as sway control pretty much useless. Went with an Equal-i-zer 4-point WDH & sway control unit, and it's on the same level -ABSOLUTELY- as the R.A.S setup.
I have a new Husky Centerline TS still on the box, never used. I'd sell to you but shipping from Ohio to Austin, TX wouldn't be cheap.
A lot of words, but to answer your question, Do I need a WDH - YES- remember the camper and truck are much more expensive to replace.
Read 'tburt' reply.. We tow our 2020 21C with a 2017 Ford F150 4x4 SuperCrew 5.5 box. The truck handles the 21 fine without the WDH, but I can tell you that there is a marked improvement in both bounce and sway, once you hook up the WDH Hitch.
Tongue weight on my unit is close to 700#.

GPBusch
BULLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 10:23 AM   #59

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I towed a Casita with a Tacoma using a WDH and then later getting airbags and better shocks, and in that specific case, I was perfectly happy ditching the WDH. its not that I minded hitching up the WDH, but taking it off the truck and stowing it when at a campsite was a pain.

John, I'm new to the subject of WDH. What part of the hitch needs to be removed when unhitched? The truck end I assume, but couldn't that stay attached?
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 11:11 AM   #60

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
The spring bars are removed first. I just put them under the tongue for storage.

If you're going to be in one place for a few days removing the stinger is optional, WDH type or not.

Not a biggie when you've done it a few times.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote