Do i need a wdh for E19 if using f150 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2024, 10:47 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Do i need a wdh for E19 if using f150

Thanks for all the help. I did find the brake controller plug on the ford flex thx to everyones help. I have read so many responses that i ended up buying a used f150. I was gonna get a blue ox wdh on my escape 19 for the ford flex but when i looked at payload and capacity, i thinks its too close to unsafe.

Do i still need a wdh if can tow 12k pounds and e19 only 4500? My feeling from looking thru previous posts its probably safest? Or is it a waste of money and energy?

Thanks
Matt
BigPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 05:50 AM   #2

Trailer: 21
It’s a matter of presence and comfort level. I have 1500 Z71 4x4 to tow our 21 and never had any issues with sway even going thru windy mountain passes or semis blow past me. I have to keep looking in the mirror to make sure the 21 is still there lol.
Old 05-19-2024, 06:36 AM   #3

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Endlessly discussed

A WDH will improve driving comfort and safety with reduced porposing and more control of the trailer.
You don't HAVE to use one, but it helps, appreciably.
Do a WDH word search on this forum. Endless posts on this topic.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 03:18 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapa View Post
Thanks for all the help. I did find the brake controller plug on the ford flex thx to everyones help. I have read so many responses that i ended up buying a used f150. I was gonna get a blue ox wdh on my escape 19 for the ford flex but when i looked at payload and capacity, i thinks its too close to unsafe.

Do i still need a wdh if can tow 12k pounds and e19 only 4500? My feeling from looking thru previous posts its probably safest? Or is it a waste of money and energy?

Thanks
Matt
IMHO, safety is never a waste of money and energy. A properly dialed in WHD will all but guarantee a level rig, front to back and that is always a good thing.
SageRpod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 02:48 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21 NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
A WDH will improve driving comfort and safety with reduced porposing and more control of the trailer.
You don't HAVE to use one, but it helps, appreciably.
Do a WDH word search on this forum. Endless posts on this topic.
Completely agree with this post. I pulled my 21NE from Utah to Texas without a WDH cause I didn't have it set up yet and had no issues. Once home, I set it up and use the WDH all the time. I'm more confident if I need to make a sudden move, it's more comfortable towing and the trailer is perfectly level. All in all, I think it's worth it, but not absolutely necessary.
GregColdewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 07:37 AM   #6

Trailer: 2020 E21C
I mostly use the Fastway E2 hitch for towing our 21C with a Silverado Z71 1500. However I do carry a straight conventional hitch along and use it judiciously, particularly when off paved roads at low speeds and where there is an overabundance of articulation between the trailer and tow vehicle. Traveling into and out of Valley of the Gods for the Oct 2023 eclipse was a prime example of high degrees of articulation at slow crawling speeds where a WDH became a liability to the trailer frame and had no bearing on safety or comfort.

A WDH enhances safety and comfort in normal paved road traffic and speed conditions. A non WDH is less stressful on trailer and tow vehicle frames off paved roads where speed and sway are not factors but where a high degrees of articulation are factors.

John
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 08:59 AM   #7

Trailer: 2021 21NE F2
JohnK, Can't you just use the Fastway E2 without the bars? I'm trying to understand why you carry a conventional hitch as well. Thank You
mfschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 09:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfschu View Post
JohnK, Can't you just use the Fastway E2 without the bars? I'm trying to understand why you carry a conventional hitch as well. Thank You
Yes the Fastway can be used without the bars. I prefer not to use it without bars because it weighs so much and extends six more inches aft than the normal light weight non WDH. The entire rig is just much more nimble and maneuverable off pavement without that long heavy Fastwsy compared to the light weight much shorter normal non WDH.

John
Old 05-21-2024, 09:10 AM   #9

Trailer: 2021 21NE F2
Thanks John for the details! I was thinking also after I sent my questions that the Fastway hangs down a bit lower than that conventional hitch which could be an issue. Thanks!
mfschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 09:15 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
Yes the Fastway can be used without the bars. I prefer not to use it without bars because it weighs so much and extends six more inches aft than the normal light weight non WDH. The entire rig is just much more nimble and maneuverable off pavement without that long heavy Fastway compared to the light weight much shorter normal non WDH.

John
Exactly how I felt when we were pulling our previous Rpod camper. I used a basic hitch for running the unloaded trailer from the storage lot to the house and any other travel that did not require the trailer to be loaded and was not a long distance at highway speeds.

Also, the Fastway E2 is heavy (~50lbs), reduces ground clearance at the hitch, and as JohnK indicated, extends beyond the back of the TV.

All that said, it is a wonderful WDH and does the job splendidly.
Old 05-21-2024, 09:23 AM   #11

SageRpod, the total weight of my E2 assembly is 100 lbs as opposed to about 10 lbs for the standard 7500 lb rated hitch. Our Silverado rides as level with the short light weight standard hitch as it does with that 100 lb E2 hitch hanging a long distance aft.

John
Old 05-21-2024, 09:47 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
SageRpod, the total weight of my E2 assembly is 100 lbs as opposed to about 10 lbs for the standard 7500 lb rated hitch. Our Silverado rides as level with the short light weight standard hitch as it does with that 100 lb E2 hitch hanging a long distance aft.

John
Thanks for the clarification JohnK. Our TV at the time was a Nissan Frontier 4X4 which rode much lower plus it was softly sprung. Because of the ride height the hitch body had the long arm pointing down, so we had significantly decreased ground clearance at that point despite being the same height compared to using a regular hitch.

You are correct that the total weight is near 100lbs with the spring bars included. I was only thinking of the hitch body.

FWIW, there is a discussion on the Rpod Forum right now about WDHs and a member indicated BMW advises against using a WDH on their unibody chassis SUVs.
Old 05-21-2024, 10:16 AM   #13

“FWIW, there is a discussion on the Rpod Forum right now about WDHs and a member indicated BMW advises against using a WDH on their unibody chassis SUVs”

We have Escape forum members towing 19s with Toyota Highlander’ using WDH. I have not heard of problems with that particular unibody, but these are Toyotas and not BMWs. Either way, I am not one to glibly use our WDH without considering consequences to trailer and tow vehicle depending on conditions.

John
Old 05-29-2024, 12:16 PM   #14

I have had a WDH on our 2011 Escape 19 & F150, and I believe it does help to even out the load, reduce sway, and bounce.
marklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 06:00 PM   #15

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
We just use a ball. Our f150 is plenty capable of the 420lbs of tongue weight of our 19. Trailer tows solid with no sway.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 03:59 AM   #16

Trailer: 2022 - 21C
I'm towing a 2022 21C with an F-350 (had it well before the Escape) and I use a WDH. I had it hooked up on a drive from Phoenix to LA on I-10 when a semi veered into our lane. I jerked the wheel to steer out of the lane onto the shoulder at 70+ mph, floored it and got out of the way. Never felt the trailer at all, everything tracked so smoothly. I'll never tow without it now, even though it is overkill.
dcgrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 06:29 AM   #17

Trailer: 2023 Escape 19
Quote:
I mostly use the Fastway E2 hitch for towing our 21C with a Silverado Z71 1500. However I do carry a straight conventional hitch along and use it judiciously, particularly when off paved roads at low speeds and where there is an overabundance of articulation between the trailer and tow vehicle. Traveling into and out of Valley of the Gods for the Oct 2023 eclipse was a prime example of high degrees of articulation at slow crawling speeds where a WDH became a liability to the trailer frame and had no bearing on safety or comfort.

A WDH enhances safety and comfort in normal paved road traffic and speed conditions. A non WDH is less stressful on trailer and tow vehicle frames off paved roads where speed and sway are not factors but where a high degrees of articulation are factors.

John
Why not just remove the bars instead of swapping the stinger?
Mmeyer5615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 06:46 AM   #18

Your question about just removing bars was asked in post #7 and answered in post #8 There are also subsequent further posts about that very question.

John

Tags
f150, safety, wdh