Does your partner tow? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2020, 10:48 AM   #21

Trailer: looking to buy used
I am in the same boat. I do all the driving ,towing etc. My wife is an awesome navigator. We talk about her doing some towing , but never get there. She drives out of need not pleasure. Plus she scares the hell out of me when she does.lol.
mike o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 10:49 AM   #22

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
We both do everything except backing (I do that and my spouse could in a pinch). No one is born knowing how to drive, tow, hitch etc., it’s all teachable and learnable. ��. We’re two women and are very comfortable going camping and we share in the driving and all other responsibilities of camping.
JaneM. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 11:02 AM   #23

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
For years I've been begging dear one to practice driving the truck, for exactly the same reasons as many of you guys. She just flat refuses to even get behind the wheel, just too scared to even try. I just don't get it. One day I will drop dead and, then she'll be sorry. She will then quickly sell the truck, and the trailer, at an enormous loss just to be rid of them, and happily use her dinky little Subaru. The thought makes me crazy.
Old 05-06-2020, 11:12 AM   #24

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Both Barb and I share the driving. We made sure we can both hitch up, back in and drive through mountains. We’ve each taken out the trailer for separate adventures as well.
It certainly works for us.
DFlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 11:23 AM   #25

Trailer: 2011 17B; Prior-2009 Escape-13B
I'm another woman who drives n tows, if I didn't I wouldn't get to go - I mostly travel alone, well not entirely as Murphy dog is with me. At 70, I would like it if he'd take a turn at the wheel though.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 11:31 AM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Lindy drives while pulling the trailer. She won't back into a campsite though.

When we were traveling this winter, we stopped at a campground in Wichita, KS. The couple who were camp-working there told us about a large 5th wheel that had just left. The husband had a heart attack several miles away and had to be transferred to a Wichita hospital via the air ambulance. The wife had to pay someone to drive the camping rig to their campground so that she could be near her husband, and they were at the campground several weeks while he recovered. But, when they pulled out, the wife was driving.
Old 05-06-2020, 12:14 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape19 2016
When I picked up my Escape, the first thing I did was head next door to the truck-driving school and got a 2-hour lesson in towing and parking a trailer. My teacher was great - gave me lots of good advice, like GOAL - get out and look. We even went through a gas station, scary but something necessary to learn. There are all kinds of reasons women are hesitant to learn how to tow, life-long messages we internalize, so guys, I hope you will encourage your partner to learn!
Barb Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 12:36 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 19'
My wife learned early on in our marriage to back trailers. We have a boat trailer, a flat trailer, and the escape. She can hook up to the escape and set it up where I can meet her. Lot's of practice.
McBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 12:56 PM   #29

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
I do the towing in the family also with the exception that when we return home, my husband does the backing since the shed storing the Escape is a stinker to back into without whanging into the support systems for the shed. It's also slightly uphill and at an angle in such a way that only the most patient of backing folks will do it successfully. That's not me.
Emjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 06:28 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0TA
Not a chance...I have explained the 5.0 follows the truck, but no dice. She is a beautiful. intelligent, competent lady...so I just understand 🤗
algonquin50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:58 PM   #31

Trailer: 2020 19’ Still Long Gone
Who tows there?

We are two women and we both tow, back, hitch, and unhitch. I am taller so end up doing some things slightly, very slightly, more easily. I am a better navigator and she is a better backer but we are both better than we were. We have friends who don’t share the driving and backing, but it sure is easier when you can share.
outwiththedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 10:46 PM   #32

Trailer: 2008 Nash 23.5A, Escape 21 coming in March
Never in LA, maybe drive.... but with traffic lately, May be good practice, but where do we go?
Yosemite cancelled on us😭
Baca56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 12:14 AM   #33

Trailer: 2012 Montana
My wife has taken our 37 foot Montana on several trips by herself.
benwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 12:55 AM   #34

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Dirk could do the driving, but there hasn't been any reason for him to do so. He's a great navigator and he's hitched and unhitched at home, so I know he could do it at a campground. There's a checklist for him to follow, if need be.

If he were to take it out regularly, he'll take some professional driving lessons (which is what I did too) as no way am I teaching him how to back it up. I value my relationship with him.

However, with that being said, he's only been out with me twice and I take it out all the time by myself. I have to laugh when some guy comes dashing over when he sees me hitching up or coming in and asks if I need help, or even worse - will tell me he'll help. I just smile and politely decline. Several have said "good job" when I'm done. I always wonder (but never ask) if they tell that to a guy towing by himself. Or if they offer to help him? Doubt it.

I can't even count how many times I've been told by women that they couldn't do what I do - take it out on my own. I've been so close to asking them what they would do if their husband keeled over while they're camping. Instead I just tell 'em that they really need to learn. A lot of times these are women in big ass Class As. Which is mostly driven by men.

I'll also state up front that even when Dirk does start to go out regularly with me in the trailer, I'll probably still do most of the driving which is how it is with our vehicles (sans trailer). Far less "commenting" (insert another word between the quote marks) on my part.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 06:22 AM   #35

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Hi,
My wife can tow, but I do all the driving. I have teased her for 52 years that I get more sleep when I drive than when she does.
If I were to get sick, we would just leave the trailer and drive to a hospital or other medical facility. Worst case, she would push the 911 button on our SPOT beacon and help would arrive.
Ab
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 07:06 AM   #36

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
We have 3 vehicles, a Subaru, a Ram 1500 for towing, and a MustangGT. Both the Ram and Subaru are automatics, the Mustang is a 6 speed manual. My partner only drives the Subaru, by choice.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:53 AM   #37

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike o View Post
I am in the same boat. I do all the driving ,towing etc. My wife is an awesome navigator. We talk about her doing some towing , but never get there. She drives out of need not pleasure. Plus she scares the hell out of me when she does.lol.

Yup! Tha'd be us.

Terry enjoys telling me where to go!

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 05-07-2020, 07:58 AM   #38

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike o View Post
Same here I drive n momma keeps me on course and is in charge of the camera. We are always stopping for photos of landscapes n wildlife.
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 11:37 AM   #39

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
For years I've been begging dear one to practice driving the truck, for exactly the same reasons as many of you guys. She just flat refuses to even get behind the wheel, just too scared to even try. I just don't get it. One day I will drop dead and, then she'll be sorry. She will then quickly sell the truck, and the trailer, at an enormous loss just to be rid of them, and happily use her dinky little Subaru. The thought makes me crazy.
Myron you could solve that problem like doing what we did two years ago. Not really using two vehicles we sold our car. Beth never had any issue driving the truck anyway and she has relieved me at times especially on Interstates with little traffic like SD. I feel confident she could manage if I was incapacitated.

That did happen with our daughter four years ago when I ended up in hospital in Winnipeg whilst traveling home from a camping weekend. She was able to get trailer home despite never having towed before.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 11:45 AM   #40

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nw cat owner View Post
i have to laugh when some guy comes dashing over when he sees me hitching up or coming in and asks if i need help, or even worse - will tell me he'll help. I just smile and politely decline. Several have said "good job" when i'm done. I always wonder (but never ask) if they tell that to a guy towing by himself. Or if they offer to help him? Doubt it.

I would expect he would help a guy if he was having trouble and he helps a lady do to the respect he has for women (he was likely taught this by his mother and hopefully had a father who set a good example).
Attached Thumbnails
gettyimages-200157628-001-2048x2048.jpg