Does your partner tow? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-07-2020, 12:16 PM   #41

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by P&L View Post
'Does your partner tow?' you ask?
Yes, My husband drives and backs up just as good as I do!

Lorna
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 12:17 PM   #42

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Ronn I notice that fellow is practicing social distancing as best he can
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 12:20 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post

I would expect he would help a guy if he was having trouble and he helps a lady do to the respect he has for women (he was likely taught this by his mother and hopefully had a father who set a good example).

I think you are missing the point: They rush over to help even when she doesn't need assistance. It is the mistaken underlying assumption that a woman is not capable of handling the situation on her own. That is not respect.

If there is an obvious struggle going on, then offered assistance is neighborly and appropriate regardless the gender.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 02:30 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
I think you are missing the point: They rush over to help even when she doesn't need assistance. It is the mistaken underlying assumption that a woman is not capable of handling the situation on her own. That is not respect.

If there is an obvious struggle going on, then offered assistance is neighborly and appropriate regardless the gender.
I think I did get the point.

I just don't understand why there is the ASSUMPTION that the the person offering to help a lady would be what you called "not respect".

It was never my assumption that "Grandma" was incapable, actually I knew better, but if Grandpa didn't beat me to it, I opened the car's passenger door, held doors open, carried her groceries.

My grand kids, both male and female do these things me at times. I hope they are doing it out of respect, not out of their assumption that Grandpa isn't capable.

I've had instances (even in campgrounds)where the younger generation (again both males and females) have offered their assistance- they are willing to open doors, carry something etc. I might be naive but I do not assume they offered me assistance because they think I am incapable, but rather out of respect for their elders. I will stay with my assumption, however naive, that offering assistance to a lady it is a sign of respect and not a claim of superiority.
Old 05-07-2020, 03:09 PM   #45
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
I just don't understand why there is the ASSUMPTION that the the person offering to help a lady would be what you called "not respect".

It was never my assumption that "Grandma" was incapable, actually I knew better, but if Grandpa didn't beat me to it, I opened the car's passenger door, held doors open, carried her groceries.
You'd have to be in the position to understand and I can tell you that your assumption is a flat generalization.

As a female, I've experienced far to many times help when it wasn't needed or wanted. Right now, the worst is when a male has a need to mansplain something to me. There's a huge difference between answering my question and feeling like I'm being patronized. 99% of y'all are doing just fine. It's the 1%... or maybe I should just say ONE individual who absolutely infuriates me. As is said, there's one in every crowd...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 03:16 PM   #46

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
It's the 1%... or maybe I should just say ONE individual who absolutely infuriates me. As is said, there's one in every crowd...

I presume you advised him to off.

Old 05-07-2020, 03:25 PM   #47

Quote:

You'd have to be in the position to understand and I can tell you that your assumption is a flat generalization.

As a female, I've experienced far to many times help when it wasn't needed or wanted. Right now, the worst is when a male has a need to mansplain something to me. There's a huge difference between answering my question and feeling like I'm being patronized. 99% of y'all are doing just fine. It's the 1%... or maybe I should just say ONE individual who absolutely infuriates me. As is said, there's one in every crowd...
Hopefully it isn't me you are referring to as "one in every crowd" ?
Old 05-07-2020, 03:37 PM   #48
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
No y'all are fine. I've just chosen to ignore the ONE. It's easier for my blood pressure.

And I certainly don't want any males here to fear answering a question from a woman. That wasn't my intent when I brought it up.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 06:23 PM   #49

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:

Yeppers! I've had men come over as soon as I go out to hitch up. Hey, I unhitched just fine, why do I need help now? Or as soon as I start to back the truck up and some are envious when I tell 'em I have a backup camera. hee, hee

And there have been times when I've asked for help and received it without any qualms. Such as when the awning didn't retract far enough - I had 3 guys and 2 ladders over there fairly quickly. We never did get it retracted all the way in and I had to take it up to ETI to get it figured out, however they were all trying to be helpful (after I asked for it) and we dug out my big roll of duct tape to hold it in place for the trip home.

Quote:

As a female, I've experienced far too many times help when it wasn't needed or wanted. Right now, the worst is when a male has a need to mansplain something to me. There's a huge difference between answering my question and feeling like I'm being patronized. 99% of y'all are doing just fine. It's the 1%... or maybe I should just say ONE individual who absolutely infuriates me. As is said, there's one in every crowd...

I haven't had that happen at campgrounds, but I did with one of the employees at ETI, back when I had to take the trailer in to get the busted bathroom hose fixed. Oh man, did I get patronized over my concern about the situation. I complained to Reace later, but I doubt anything happened about it. Haven't a clue if the fellow still works there - if he does, I would not want to deal with him again.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 10:16 PM   #50

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Oh, Jim, I am so envious of your Mustang. It must be a kick in the pants to drive. Or even go along for the ride.