Downsizing tow vehicle will I regret it - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2019, 12:32 PM   #41

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by buellfire View Post
He said to me, "you know the Tundra is a Landcruiser from the back doors forward" and the rear bed and axle are built even stronger on the Tundra.
Now this is interesting. I was considering buying a used Land Cruiser a few years down the road to replace my Tacoma as a tow vehicle. Getting a Tundra would be a more viable alternative, and I wouldn't need to keep the Tacoma for the times I need to haul stuff. Thanks for the info.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 01:44 PM   #42

Trailer: Used to own a 17B and a 19 Escape
OP here. Just catching up. SOB I just typed a lengthy post on my phone and it didn't post. I have to retype the whole thing.

I'm would be curious how those with a Tacoma would feel after pulling their rig with a full size through some mountain passes? I've heard both arguments that the Tacoma works hard in the mountains and other say it is no problem. I have also heard gas mileage is pretty bad when towing.

I have owned GM trucks for 23 years. I have a love had relationship with my 15 GMC Sierra and don't know if I'll ever buy a GM product again. I understand improving fuel economy but the transmission in my truck is horrible. I have had to have the torque converter replaced at under 40k. I have had some other issues as well. I have a friend with a similar GM truck and his 4WD broke with less than 10k miles and had to be towed off a job site by a Ford because he was stuck. True story. I also know someone who has a GM product with the same motor as mine and the motor blew up around 100k. They said it was caused by the active fuel management system that turns off 4 cylinders to save fuel. My favor GM truck was my 95 Chevy ZR2. I got so excited when they brought it back and looked at them and almost pulled the trigger but held back. I love the way my truck drives and is super comfortable during long days. BTW I just replaced the shocks at 50k and went from stock Ranchos to Bilstein and it rides so much better. So I'll probably keep it until the power train warranty is up. I just like thinking about this stuff.

I'm super frugal with my money so it's funny it was brought up in this thread. I think that is what makes the decision so tough because I don't want to make a bad or irrational decision.
ichrisdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 01:59 PM   #43

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'm not a Ford or Chevy guy, but I'd not buy any new GM truck built after GM announced they were closing their Oshawa, Ont. plant. A lot of unhappy GM employees there, putting trucks together up until they lock the gate.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:09 PM   #44

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Towing a 21 with a Tacoma

Towed a 19 Escape with a 2009 Tacoma for 8 years and 50,000 miles thru Rockies and many mountain passes with 8 percent grades...canopy loaded with SUPs...no equalizer hitch...cruised around 60 mph...14 to 15 mpg. Loved the Tacoma's off road capabilities and easy handling around town. Now towing a 21 with same truck and having no problems after 4000 miles...a little slower on steep grades but can still maintain 55mph but using a bit more fuel...average 14 mpg if keep it 55 to 60 on freeway. Had a 1 ton Dodge diesel truck but prefer the nimbleness of the Tacoma. A friend of ours is towing a 21 with a 2018 Tacoma and is happy with it performance and he had a Porche and Mercedes service business and a 3/4 Ton Dodge Diesel before the Tacoma. They DO work fine but if you like the extra power and comfort of a big truck make yourself happy!
sprinkledavid@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 02:18 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'm not a Ford or Chevy guy, but I'd not buy any new GM truck built after GM announced they were closing their Oshawa, Ont. plant. A lot of unhappy GM employees there, putting trucks together up until they lock the gate.
I have no idea what happened to GM but since the bailout, from my experience things have gone down hill. It makes me sad.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:20 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinkledavid@gmail.com View Post
Towed a 19 Escape with a 2009 Tacoma for 8 years and 50,000 miles thru Rockies
This is good info. I wonder if the local Toyota dealer will let me tow my camper during a test drive? Haha.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:08 PM   #47

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Rent a Toyota pick-up

I did a search called "how to rent a tacoma" and got a hit on Toyota's site showing 3 dealers in New Jersey that participate in a rental program for Tacomas and Tundras.

If you're serious about trying one out, I'd get in touch with one of those dealers, and try a slightly used one of each.

Let us know your thoughts, if you do.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 03:34 PM   #48

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Towing a 21 with a Tacoma

I forgot to mention that I had Firestone airbags installed in the very beginning towing with my 19...they are necessary to level trailer if your pickup bed is loaded as mine is. Our friend with the 2018 Tacoma and a 2017 21 Escape uses a WDH with success.
sprinkledavid@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 04:08 PM   #49

Trailer: 2018 17A
I have a 2017 Tacoma, towing a 17A (3000# or so). I really love the Tacoma as a daily driver and as a 4WD vehicle. Good foot room, comfy. And I can actually reach over the side of the bed!

But it kinda sucks as a tow vehicle. It has the Atkinson engine, and doesn't develop full torque until 4700 rpm. And believe me, we end up in that rpm range a lot going over the many passes in the Southwest. Forget trying to maintain 60 mph. Little engine up there, screaming away! If the Tundra wasn't so huge, I'd be in one
noblets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 04:10 PM   #50

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Used to tow our 21' with a '03 4Runner with 4.7L V8. It was capable, but I really wanted more room inside to carry bicycles, etc. Now using '18 Ford Transit with 3.5L EcoBoost. More than capable - it'll almost tow the 4Runner faster than the 4Runner can go on its own.

Not luxurious, but 3,000 lb load capacity.

Also, the Transit gets significantly better gas mileage than the 4Runner.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180517_122211.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	245.9 KB
ID:	36812

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190201_133836.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	241.0 KB
ID:	36813
cvanzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 04:30 PM   #51

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Although this plant builds trucks, it also builds cars and is being shut down (along with four plants in the U.S.) to reduce capacity for the models which GM is dropping. So ironically, it is all those people buying trucks (mostly to use as cars) which have caused this shutdown. Also, if everyone boycotts GM, they'll just close more plants.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 04:36 PM   #52

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by buellfire View Post
I am an offroad guy and loyal Toyota customer. (snip) I would say the only real issue with the truck is the seats can get a bit hard on the butt after a couple of thousand mile days.

I got one of these seat cushions over a year ago and my fanny seems fine after a long day of towing. I hardly ever tow without it now and I'm quite used to the extra height it gives me in the seat. Fortunately there's tons of head room in the Tundra. However, I could not tell you if there would be fanny fatigue without the cushion. Also, I don't remember all these different choices when I got mine, so I'm not sure which one I got.

https://purple.com/seatcushions

I also put a small pillow between me and the center console as right from the beginning it seemed like the seat leaned a bit that way and it bothered me. The small pillow helps with that feeling.

Here's my set up (a very rare photo of Dirk and the trailer - at the solar eclipse; Spike was hiding inside):
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00193.jpg  
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 04:38 PM   #53

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvanzan View Post

Wads of room inside!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 04:52 PM   #54

Trailer: , Bigfoot 25B25RT, previously 2019 Escape 21, and Castia sd17
Quote:
Used to tow our 21' with a '03 4Runner with 4.7L V8. It was capable, but I really wanted more room inside to carry bicycles, etc. Now using '18 Ford Transit with 3.5L EcoBoost. More than capable - it'll almost tow the 4Runner faster than the 4Runner can go on its own.

Attachment 36812

Attachment 36813
I really like the van idea, I could fill that with my dirtbikes!
buellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 05:09 PM   #55

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:

Attachment 36812

Attachment 36813
Looks great Charlie, I think you hit a winner with that combination.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:33 AM   #56

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Also, if everyone boycotts GM, they'll just close more plants.

Not suggesting a boycott. But, I'd want to know which GM plant built my truck after GM announced the closings.

During contract negotiations at the newspaper I worked for, somehow somebody dropped a wrench into the press when it was running full speed. Use your imagination.

Went through one eight month strike and one three month strike and others too short to mention.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:08 AM   #57

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
I'm another vote for GMC Canyon 4WD with Duramax diesel as an Escape tow vehicle. Excellent mileage when towing, power to pull the steepest hills and with the integrated exhaust brake, excellent descent control on the steepest downhill grades. I find the truck comfortable for long distance driving. Only knock I can think of is that the glove compartment is small and 6 way power seat is not available. We have 40,000 miles on our 2017 Canyon and it has been reliable, so far. Absolutely would buy another one.
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:54 AM   #58

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chama View Post
I'm another vote for GMC Canyon 4WD with Duramax diesel as an Escape tow vehicle. Excellent mileage when towing, power to pull the steepest hills and with the integrated exhaust brake, excellent descent control on the steepest downhill grades. I find the truck comfortable for long distance driving. Only knock I can think of is that the glove compartment is small and 6 way power seat is not available. We have 40,000 miles on our 2017 Canyon and it has been reliable, so far. Absolutely would buy another one.
I'm with you Chama. Except I have a Colorado, the Canyon's twin. Although my spouse and I are not large people, I've had a couple of very tall guys sit in it to see if they "fit". They did. So perhaps not really a downsized truck? It seems plenty big to me. As far as I'm concerned, the 30+ mpg when not towing combined with the exhaust brake when towing are its biggest selling points. That said, I can definitely feel our 19 when it's attached, so it's not a "I can't even feel the trailer back there" type of experience when towing. It does do the job very well though!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:01 PM   #59

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm curious as to the difference between these twin diesels which are 2.8 cyl compare to the 2.7 and 3.5 Ford eco boost engines? I realize the diesel has lower rpm torque but are the three similar in performance and efficiency?
Old 02-02-2019, 12:26 PM   #60

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'm curious as to the difference between these twin diesels which are 2.8 cyl compare to the 2.7 and 3.5 Ford eco boost engines? I realize the diesel has lower rpm torque but are the three similar in performance and efficiency?
Hmmm, having only ever driven the Colorado I have nothing against which to compare, but I would guess they're very similar, based on what folks here have said about their F-150's. I would also guess the F-150 3.5 ecoboost might offer more power for climbing and accelerating, and get one closer to the I-can't-even-feel-it-back-there experience. To be honest, I had pretty much decided to buy the 3.5 l Ecoboost until the dealer I was working with made me mad by trying to sell me a truck on the lot, rather than order one configured the way I wanted it. That's what caused me to walk into the local Chevy dealer and walk out with the Colorado. Ironically, the Colorado ended up costing thousands less than the Ford the dealer was quoting to order one. This is how these things work out sometimes! The Chevy dealer in my small town was hungry and really wanted to move that truck. I do think the F-150 with 3.5 may be slightly superior to the "twins" as an all around tow vehicle, depending on what criteria you're using to compare them.
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote