Drop for a 2" Ball - 2015 F150 4X2 - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-01-2015, 06:33 PM   #41

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The Andersen No-Sway system head - the most visible part - is aluminum. The shank is steel, and since the part in the receiver is solid (as is typical for Class 4 ball mounts) rather than hollow (as is typical for steel Class 3 mounts), it's hefty. The triangular plate is steel too, as are of course the chains, threaded ends, nuts, and brackets.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:44 PM   #42

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Money aside, I'd much rather tow without WDH, if I had that option.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:54 PM   #43

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I have never been so back and forth as to getting a WDH. I have a big enough truck to easily handle the 21, but Reece still thought it might be a good idea. One concern is, how big of a pain is it to couple and uncouple the trailer? I would just about be done with the build sheet if I could make up my mind on this one. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:15 PM   #44

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
To throw something else into the mix. Honda recommends using sway control but not Weight Distribution Hitches for safety reasons. Since I already owned an Anderson WDH I called Anderson. I asked if I could take advantage of sway control without redistributing any weight, and if so, how much weight I would need on the ball. They said I didn't have to redistribute any weight and all I needed was 100 lbs on the ball for sway control to work. Kind of expensive sway control but, what the hay!!!!!!!!!
Tom
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:23 PM   #45
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
I have never been so back and forth as to getting a WDH. I have a big enough truck to easily handle the 21, but Reece still thought it might be a good idea. One concern is, how big of a pain is it to couple and uncouple the trailer? I would just about be done with the build sheet if I could make up my mind on this one. Loren
I did the same thing. Talked myself into it, then out of it, many times. In reading all the previous threads on the Andersen when towing with a full size pickup, the general consensus seems to be it makes towing feel more smooth and connected. I probably won't benefit much from it, but I guess I'm saying I just talked myself back into it - with a little nudge.

If you don't want to decide right now, you can always leave it off the build sheet and pick one up later. -- um, like I did.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:27 PM   #46

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
One less instruction manual to read.
And, one less thing to maintain.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:27 PM   #47

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
It's easy Loren.
In addition to the usual hitching steps, you install a steel plate under the ball with a pin and tighten a nut at the end of the two chains.
I needed the WDH with my Trailblazer so I don't have to make the "buy" decision... I will keep using my Anderson for the stiffer connection and sway control.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:37 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAfraser View Post
... I called Anderson. I asked if I could take advantage of sway control without redistributing any weight, and if so, how much weight I would need on the ball. They said I didn't have to redistribute any weight and all I needed was 100 lbs on the ball for sway control to work.
I don't think that's quite true, and likely a bit of playing a little loose with the facts, which is common for marketing people.

For the sway control action, the chains must be hooked up so that they turn the plate and thus the ball/shaft in the friction material. Slack in the chains would cause a jerky action, so to avoid slack the urethane springs must be compressed at least a bit, and that means tension in the chains. With tension, you get load transfer (weight re-distribution)... but you could operate with very little load transfer.

As long as the chains don't go slack, the amount of sway control depends only on the tongue weight on the ball (which apparently needs to be at least 100 pounds for proper operation, but it will be for any travel trailer).
Old 03-01-2015, 10:44 PM   #49

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Pretty unlikely that sway control or WDH would be required with an f150 towing a escape 19'. You may be better off applying that money to campgrounds and gas.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:09 PM   #50

Trailer: not yet
There is a bit of a difference in "needed" and "appreciated". I don't think anyone would advise that the F150 "needs" any sort of WDH to pull a relatively small ETI 19. But there are plenty of folks that don't need the Andersen that have appreciated using it, simply for how it smooths out the ride.

I have had my wife along on only a few tows with my Frontier, and she's always commented on the bumpiness of the ride while towing. I for one would be considering getting the Andersen in order to get a smoother ride.

But I guess it depends on the truck/trailer combo.
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:59 AM   #51

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Most Escapes are putting between 300 to 500 lbs on the tongue, so the 100 lb threshold for sway has been put in place, without the chains. Whether it is as effective still needs to be tested.
I have used mine without but it is simple to tighten and forget about them.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:18 AM   #52

I agree Brian. He didn't say so, but I assumed that the chains had to be installed and snug enough to turn the plate, but not so tight to transfer any load. Without controlling the plate I don't see how there would be any sway control.

I did tow the 21 for a while without the Anderson and had no issues what so ever. In fact, there was less rear end drop on the Ridgeline then I had with the Casita. Sway control is suggested for everyone's safety, but it can be done with a $65 sway bar.

I went back and forth prior to receiving my 21 like so many others, but purchased the Anderson for use with the Ridgeline and future tow vehicles. If I remember correctly, Ford does recommend use of a WDH with the F150 for the weight of a 21. Ford owners can correct me if I'm wrong.

Sorry to add to the confusion, but I tend to do that.
Tom
Old 03-02-2015, 10:13 AM   #53

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
There is a bit of a difference in "needed" and "appreciated". I don't think anyone would advise that the F150 "needs" any sort of WDH to pull a relatively small ETI 19. But there are plenty of folks that don't need the Andersen that have appreciated using it, simply for how it smooths out the ride.

I have had my wife along on only a few tows with my Frontier, and she's always commented on the bumpiness of the ride while towing. I for one would be considering getting the Andersen in order to get a smoother ride.

But I guess it depends on the truck/trailer combo.
Too some degree, I agree with this assessment. With our Pilot, we really didn't need the Anderson WDH, but when used it did smooth things out a bit. Not really safer, just a nicer ride.

However, with an F150, I really doubt there would be enough noticeable difference to warrant its use, with its firmer suspension. I guess if you try it out first, and it bothers you enough to want to spend the money, there is no harm in using the WDH.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:15 PM   #54

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
f-150 towing

When towing a Casita 17 with the Ford Super crew I didn't think I needed the WDH until the casita bounced the TV onto the floor from the back corner of the bed. My next stop was the RV store where I bought the smallest single bar WDH to slow down the bounce on rough roads, I-5 in Calif truck lane. The next stop was a TV store.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:17 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAfraser View Post
... I assumed that the chains had to be installed and snug enough to turn the plate, but not so tight to transfer any load. Without controlling the plate I don't see how there would be any sway control.
Absolutely correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Most Escapes are putting between 300 to 500 lbs on the tongue, so the 100 lb threshold for sway has been put in place, without the chains.
Without the chains, there is no sway control action of the Andersen "No-Sway", regardless of the load on the ball. Without the chains, it is simply a plain adjustable-height ball mount.

I asked Andersen about this and this is the relevant part of the reply from Andrew in customer service:
Quote:
Without the triangle plate attached this would just be a heavy duty ball mount which is fine if you don't need sway control. As you figured out, the plate needs to move the ball against the friction material to gain sway control and it can't do that without the chains in place so it can turn.
This was first posted in a discussion in 2013. I'm not suggesting to anyone that they read that discussion unless they are really interested, as there was lots of confusion at the time.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:31 PM   #56

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
My bad I was referring to post #44 where Andersen mentioned 100# was need for sway to work?
I do understand needing the chains to activate the swivel ball but thought there might be something there.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:41 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
My bad I was referring to post #44 where Andersen mentioned 100# was need for sway to work?
I do understand needing the chains to activate the swivel ball but thought there might be something there.
Okay, we're in synch about the chains.
I think the friction material won't work very well if too lightly loaded, so they're just saying that even with everything hooked up as intended, if you tongue weight is extremely low then the friction will be suitable. I'm guessing it would either not wedge into the cone adequately so it would slip, or it would slip-and-grab unevenly.

So, you need at least 100 pounds of tongue weight for sway control, but just having that tongue weight is not enough - you still need the chains.

Not an issue for an Escape, anyway.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:42 PM   #58

It seems that just as all food discussions now mention poutine, all hitch discussions become about the Andersen No-Sway WD!
Old 03-02-2015, 07:32 PM   #59

Good catch Brian, food vs hitches! Got me laughing
Old 03-06-2015, 04:22 PM   #60
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Reace said he'll just sell me the right one when I get there. Easy.