Dual Axle Payoff - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2018, 09:25 PM   #21

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
My RAV4 manual says to limit speed while towing to 45mph.
You're welcome.
45! Looks like they let the lawyers edit that page.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 10:16 AM   #22

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
My RAV4 manual says to limit speed while towing to 45mph.
You're welcome.
If you take the same approach that is preferred by some where they need to have a factor of safety of at least 2 with respect to tow capacity, then you really should not exceed 22.5 mph with your RAV4 when towing.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 11:04 AM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
One of the huge selling points for us on the Escape 19 was the dual axle. As we get older we wanted the dual axle to have more contrrol of the vehicle if ever in a blowout situation. Well, we got the payback today. I was returning home from three nights in the White Mountains of AZ when I felt a change in the tow at 70 mph on the highway. I could see some flapping in the ps mirror in the tire area. Pulled off and checked and PS front tire had blown and shredded but no body damage fortunately. I was only a couple of miles from storage lot so drove slowly on into destination.
The trailer handled fantastically with the dual axles through the blowout and while you could tell there was something wrong, it was stable and never any loss of control.
Today I became a very happy camper that we decided to go with a dual axle trailer.
Hi: Greg A... Never had a flat with our single axle 5.0 but I have had one with the 5.0TA. I believe the first tire ran over the screw on the pavement setting it up for the second one to pick it up. Lucky it was a sloe leak so we could add air and drag the trailer to the tire shop. Fifteen buck quick fix and it's still in use. Almost 40,000 miles on the Carlisle's and in the next couple of years they'll be retired... like me!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 11:11 AM   #24

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
dual axle

Years ago I changed the left tire on our Casita on a freeway in LA, decided never again and switched to light truck tires and problem went away. I liked the idea of dual axles on the escapes along with a good quality tires, an extra $50C /tire and worth every penny. Now with the single axle we get 8 ply rated tires and I have a tire pressure and temp read out for the trailer setting on my dash and I feel very comfortable at my speeds and the temps of the asphalt when the air temp is over 100.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 12:01 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Hi Bill,
I will certainly get all that info and post it here as it would be good to have for reference. The trailer will be 3 years old in Nov, and we’ll see what the date info is on the tires.
I do need to clarify for the ones who would try and detract on speed. Where I suspect this occurred is on a massive 6% downgrade on I17 at Black Canyon City. I pulled this trip at sustained speed of 60-65 as I always have. On this down grade, even with engine braking, the speeds reach 70 and I dont ride brakes on long down grades unless needed for safety reasons. These tires are certainly capable of the speeds that were driven on this trip and all previous trips so personally I am not factoring that in.
I do have a slight recollection of a noise at about the time this occurred like when you run over a piece of road trash, but that simply could have been the actual blowout.
I didn’t intend initially to get into discussions about tires, only wanted to post my experience with the handling characteristics of the dual axle with a catastrophic event, but we’ll probabably be discussing Poutine shortly anyway.
Morning Greg , glad everyone and your trailer made it through . I would check all tires for the date of manufacturer . We found one tire was already a year old from pickup date . Older then the other 3 . Replaced all with Maxxis , 3 years later after flat. Maxxis D . Feel more confident , very sturdy tire . We also have tire sensors too now . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 12:09 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I want to get one, that has to handle 8 tires (4 on the escape, plus 4 on my F250 because it predates TPMS systems), I'm pretty much convinced that TST is the way to go, all the bluetooth phone based things look too flakey to me.
We also have a older f-250 , 1992 . Bought TST sensors , not Bluetooth . Can charge battery or also plug into 12 volt . Will do 22 tires so no problem with 8 tires great manufacturer support . Do not have the flow through sensors . Can change your sensor batteries very easy. Very happy now 3-4 years . Pat
Old 09-29-2018, 07:28 PM   #27

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Just tried to get the DOT info on tires, and could only find it on one tire. Seems they only print it on one side and three of the tires its apparently on the interior side of the tire. The date code on the one tire I could read was 2315 which is showing approx manufacture date of June 2015.
Right now after reading Carlisle’s info I am planning to buy one new matching tire, putting it and the spare on the rear axle. (Effectively two new tires) I’ll put the two original tires on front axle and move the good tire on the blowout side to the spare since it carried load about 5 mi.
I scheduled to replace all tires at 5 years in fall 2020 before we go FT, so hoping this will work to fix the tire situation for two years until full replacement.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 07:47 PM   #28

Quote:
Just tried to get the DOT info on tires, and could only find it on one tire. Seems they only print it on one side and three of the tires its apparently on the interior side of the tire. The date code on the one tire I could read was 2315 which is showing approx manufacture date of June 2015.
Right now after reading Carlisle’s info I am planning to buy one new matching tire, putting it and the spare on the rear axle. (Effectively two new tires) I’ll put the two original tires on front axle and move the good tire on the blowout side to the spare since it carried load about 5 mi.
I scheduled to replace all tires at 5 years in fall 2020 before we go FT, so hoping this will work to fix the tire situation for two years until full replacement.
Yes what we found all our code dates were on the inside ,and didn't see codes until we removed tires . Didn't care wanted those tires off trailer . Our new 4 tires cost us 400.00 . They were on sale . Lots of money riding on it's tires .
Getting tire sensors is a great idea though . Pat
Old 09-30-2018, 02:46 AM   #29

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Many reasons to go dual axel not the least of which is a more stable ride and safer in a blowout. I also expect that the 4 tire 2 axel combo is more stable when parked.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:17 AM   #30

Trailer: none
Yes, tires are something you don't want to go cheap on. When we purchased our 2007 HiLo trailer in 2013 from a couple in Sonora, CA (about 4 hours away), it still had the original tires. The tires still looked good but I didn't feel comfortable towing it back home so I made arrangements with the local Big O tire store in Sonora to replace the four tires (and spare).

I specified the next higher grade (Load D Maxiis, I think) tire and insisted that they were "fresh" tires. I inspected the date code on the tires before (and after) installation.

Some shops will try to sell you old tires, or mismatched ones, so always insist on inspecting your "new" tires!
Old 09-30-2018, 04:59 PM   #31

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
I was curious about the single axle blowout issue a while back and posted a question about this. Thread is here:

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...ers-12230.html
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:36 PM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
kinda related to all of the discussion about monitoring your tire pressures.... I was following a conversation about mirror extensions some time ago, and it was brought up that one of the benefits of the better view from out there is that you can see your tires better.
I still haven't put them on my F150, because the standard mirrors are doing a passable job, but I want to put a set on. If for no other reason, just to see my tires better.
As for the Poutine, it isn't something we have to partake in to be official Canadians. BEER however...
Brookfielder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:26 PM   #33

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I was able to see the flapping on the blown tire with the stock mirrors on my Nissan Frontier, but just barely. The mirror extensions is a good suggestion to consider.
FYI, the Carlisle RH tires have been discontinued for about two years, but I did find some remaining stock to order a replacement tire. The tire guys said they could put the current Carlisle HD on although it is a bit different tread pattern. I opted for now to match the original since I will be replacing all of them in 2 years.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 05:42 PM   #34

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19
Just curious, my 2011 E19 has 14" tires. Can these be upgraded to 15" tires?
JimHol58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:38 PM   #35
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
probably. I know 14" casitas can be upgraded to 15" wheels, but some trailers required the axle to be tweaked to raise the trailer an inch the tires don't rub at the extremes of the suspension travel. the 14's on those were 205/75R14, which are 26" OD, while the 15" Escape size is 207/75R15 which are 27" OD, so teh tires are about 1/2" bigger in radius all the way around. usually that will clear the wheel wells with no problems.

of COURSE, 15" tires require 15" wheels...
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:43 PM   #36

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
I've written about my flat in my 17B, the time I had a blowout at 65 mph, then 15 minutes down the road after getting it changed discovered the other tire had a nail in it and just pulled in to a Walmart and bought two new trailer tires.

I had dreaded the day it might happen thinking all hell would break loose, but I heard the pop, the trailer had a little bit of a bumpy ride but still under control, pulled over and called AAA. The mud flap was ripped off and there are divots in the wheel well, but nothing that needed fixed other than ordering another mud flap.

I'm reassured that I don't need to trade up to a 19.
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:09 PM   #37

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHol58 View Post
Just curious, my 2011 E19 has 14" tires. Can these be upgraded to 15" tires?
This is a reasonable question, so it comes up occasionally. 15" wheels will certainly fit; the measurements which are important are the overall diameter and width of the tires. In previous discussions the answer, confirmed by Escape, is that they'll fit.
Tire/wheel size
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:07 PM   #38

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Greg you were fortunate to get "new" tires on your 2015 Escape. I was just curious about the tires on our Sept. 2016 5.0TA. I can only read two of them as the dates on the others are inside. I was surprised to see they are dated 4413 which means that Escape put on almost three year old tires. I am disappointed to say the least. I already bought new Endurance for our old 5.0 last year now looks like I'll be investing in tires again soon, and four this time instead of two
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 03:35 PM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... I find it disappointing that folks can go out and buy a used trailer and not get a new one too. I just bought a new set of tires for my Nu2Me truck. At 55,000km's the originals passed safety but just barely!!! In the snow they would have been like web'd feet!!! The new ones are dated 3917(last week of Sept). I did find a full sized spare mounted on a steel wheel. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 03:55 PM   #40

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Maybe the diesels are different, but every 1500 Ram, even the new one's now has the temporary spare on a full sized steel wheel, It may appear to be full sized, but unless it matches the 4 on the truck, it could be the "temp" FIAT installs. I carry my new spare and the original both. Besides, the temp is now close to 5 years old.