E2 Fastway questions - backing up and noise... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2021, 02:23 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
E2 Fastway questions - backing up and noise...

We've towed our 21 without a WDH for the last 5 years but after experiencing some crazy cross winds on our last trip have decided to try the E2 Fastway hitch. We are wondering though if it impacts the way the trailer moves when you back up at all? Also, I heard somewhere that it can be noisy on turns as the trunnion bars scrape. Is that true? Are there any other negatives we will need to be prepared for (other than the installation effort)??
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 02:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
We are wondering though if it impacts the way the trailer moves when you back up at all?
No

Quote:
Also, I heard somewhere that it can be noisy on turns as the trunnion bars scrape. Is that true?
Yes, the kinds of WDH that use bar friction to control sway can be noisy at low speeds.

Quote:
Are there any other negatives we will need to be prepared for (other than the installation effort)??
Takes more time to hitch and un-hitch.

What most people wind up doing is putting the trailer on the ball, and then using the (hopefully power) tongue jack to lift the trailer and back of the car up high enough to slip the bars on the holders. Then back down to get off the jack.

So it's up to get over the ball, down to get on the ball, up to get the bars on, down to get off the jack.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 07:06 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 - 21NE
We have just taken delivery of a 21NE with the E2 Fastway Hitch. It works very well on highways and local roads (no sway), but we do hear a little bit of scaping when we are backing up to park at home or at a campsite. This was expected, as ETI informs you of this.
Ted B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 09:52 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
Quote:
We've towed our 21 without a WDH for the last 5 years but after experiencing some crazy cross winds on our last trip have decided to try the E2 Fastway hitch. We are wondering though if it impacts the way the trailer moves when you back up at all? Also, I heard somewhere that it can be noisy on turns as the trunnion bars scrape. Is that true? Are there any other negatives we will need to be prepared for (other than the installation effort)??
If you will get the sway bracket jackets( plastic inserts that slip on the bottom of the L brackets) and the snap L pins ( L pins with a spring retainer rather than the cotter pins) you will have less noise and will enjoy your fastway e2 much, much more. With the loss of noise you lose a little sway control but the weight distribution is what you really need. Not so much the sway control, which will still be adequate. You will also preserve the skin on your knuckles. I am so glad someone told me this information.
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 11:42 PM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
I suggest taking a look at the Equal-i-zer hitch (not to be confused with the Equalizer hitch sold by Escape, which is very different).
I think Equal-i-zer and the E2 are from the same company, or somehow affiliated. The Equal-i-zer is very similar to the E2, except for the head unit, which gives 2 more points of sway control. The Equal-i-zer is also made in the USA.

Unfortunately the price seems to have gone up quite a bit on these from a few years ago.

I agree that the sway bracket jackets are nice and reduce the noise, but the noise isn't too bad overall -- I've only heard a few squeaks when turning tightly at low speed. According to the manual, there are a few spots on the hitch that are supposed to be lightly lubed, which helps keep noise down too.
goalie39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 06:55 AM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
If you pay attention you’ll note that a relatively high percentage of all campers with WDH installs do some creaking as they slowly prowl the loops looking for or finding their site. Doesn’t seem to bother anyone camping that I’ve noticed. Heard one yesterday as a large stick built pulled in. Later as they were setting up I noted a nice looking family with smiles and a friendly wave. That’s what I like to see and hear in a campground.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-16-2021, 09:28 AM   #7

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
Oneof the staff at etrailer.com cautions that the Fastway E2 should only be backed up straight and that any turning is problematic.

Seems inconsistent with what Fastway says.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 12:09 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by bborzell View Post
Oneof the staff at etrailer.com cautions that the Fastway E2 should only be backed up straight and that any turning is problematic.
It doesn't matter to any hitch system which direction the rig is moving; however, the angle from straight in line does matter to most WD hitches.

When you drive forward the maximum steering angle of the front wheels, the wheelbase of the tow vehicle, the distance from the rear axle to the ball, and the distance from the ball to the trailer axle(s) all combine to determine how tightly the rig can turn as the trailer follows the tug, and what that hitch angle is. You don't have to calculate any of that - it's rarely a problem for the hitch... which is why no one warns about extreme angles when moving forward.

When you back up, the trailer no longer nicely follows the tug, and it can jackknife; the angle can be anything, limited only by the trailer hitting the tow vehicle, or the hitch system jamming or coming apart... which is what eTrailer is warning about.

Typical chain-type WD systems can handle extreme angles, but systems which depend on bars sliding in brackets can jam on the tight side of the hitch, or can pull apart on the wide open side. Ideally this doesn't happen with a normal trailer configuration (50 degree A-frame tongue and ball close to bumper) if the WD brackets are properly placed on the trailer frame, but real installations are often not ideal. A pole tongue or extended ball mount may allow an extreme turning angle, and more commonly brackets may not be places where the WD design intended.

If the brackets are too far forward, the bar on the inside of the turn might jam. If the brackets are too far back, the bar on the outside of the turn might pull out. Fastway gives a correct location range in the installation instructions, and it is a range (there's some leeway).

This is the same problem as with add-on friction-type sway control devices; it is often advised to disconnect them for backing up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bborzell View Post
Seems inconsistent with what Fastway says.
Fastest is probably assuming that the system is installed correctly, on a normal A-frame tongue. The eTrailer person appears to be identifying a potential problem with real installations, and exaggerating the degree of the issue.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 06:17 PM   #9
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
You mention you want to try the E2 Fastway hitch but if you are still in research mode for WDHs, have you considered the Andersen WDH system?

We have used both the traditional trunnion bars WDH system (on previous trailers) and the Andersen system (on our Escape 21) and while both have their pros and cons, we prefer the Andersen system. Why?

1) It's simple, solid and works! Even in blustery coastal windy conditions, feels rock solid (no sway)
2) Very light weight, around ~50 lbs vs ~100 lbs
3) Nice and quiet, no more embarrassing loud moaning sounds when backing up (your concerns are valid) and as Brian points out, the Andersens can handle extreme angles very well.
4) It rides higher up (than the traditional bar systems) so less chance of scraping on sharp incline/decline angles like at gas stations or driveways
5) Easy to install, my husband installed it at the Lynden KOA campground (Thank you YouTube!)
6) No greasy ball, cleaner pants
7) We find it easier to store the chains than the greasy heavy bars
8) Oliver and Casita both offer the Andersen WDH system as an upgrade on their websites

Some cons:
1) Reconnecting to the TV when the TV is at a different angle (from when you disconnected). This was the biggest learning curve for us with the Andersen system, but now that we understand how to do it...much easier now. Again, there are YouTube videos that teach you how to adjust the chains when this happens or you can do like I do, just try and hook up at a similar angle from the angle we disconnect, and usually it's close enough!
2) It takes some cranking (uses a socket to tighten the system) so takes some physical strength but I do myself without any problems, on our 'girl trips'.
3) If Bigfoot attacks you don't have big metal bars to defend yourself (from my husband!)

We ordered straight from Andersen directly. It was $25 more than Amazon (2 years ago) but gave us a better warranty and ensured we got the most updated version. (part #3343 is what we ordered). Hope this helps and good luck on your quest! -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 10:15 PM   #10

Thank you for all the input. The issue we have is that one of us doesn't want the hassle of hitching up a WD hitch. And doesn't want anything that will make backing up more problematic. The other is concerned about the potential for that trifecta of problems creating a dangerous situation when towing without a WD hitch. So I'm thinking if we choose something easier to hitch up, we can both be happy. We are still in the research stage though so I will look at the Andersen hitch that was suggested.

In my opinion this is going to be one of those things that once we have it, we will wonder why we waited so long!

Thank you everyone for your input!
Old 07-16-2021, 10:49 PM   #11

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17B
What are you using to tow the trailer? The bigger and more capable the tow vehicle the less difference a WDH will make.
flynfrfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 07:03 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, some additional information would beneficial for more accurate responses.....
Old 06-04-2023, 01:54 PM   #13

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
When ordering the Fastway E2 from Escape does it come with a ball attached (included)?
Thanks
Greatboatz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 08:37 PM   #14

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatboatz3 View Post
When ordering the Fastway E2 from Escape does it come with a ball attached (included)?
Thanks
Yes, the ball will be included. At least that was the case when we picked up our 21C almost exactly a year ago.

Edit: Just saw this was asked and answered in a separate thread. Consider my post to be confirmation (or just ignore it ).
YakRV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 09:35 PM   #15

I just saw this and realized I never followed up to my original post. We did end up getting the Fastway and I have to say it has made a night and day difference in our towing experience. We have a 2 wheel drive 2.7 F150 and in retrospect, with this light of a truck we should have had the WDH all along. Driving is so much smoother. We feel safe and more relaxed. We can drive a little faster which means we don't have to always be in that horrible beat up slow lane. Setting up the bars only takes a couple extra minutes (and they act as great weights on our outdoor rug in heavy winds!) And it occurred to me recently, that if we are getting a smoother ride, our trailer probably is too, which means less wear and tear on the trailer and its contents. There is no impact on backing up, and yes you do hear a few creaks and bangs but it isn't a big deal.

When we take the empty trailer to/from storage we use the original hitch and it looks so frighteningly inadequate for the task!