E2 Hitch won't stay tight & level on frame - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2016, 10:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 21'
E2 Hitch won't stay tight & level on frame

Hi all. Sorry if this has already been answered. I'm terrible at searching these forums.

We're having a terrible time with our E2 Hitch. No matter what I do, the brackets that hold the "L" bar that the distribution bar rides on always work loose and slide on the frame. I've tried lock washers, and torquing it REALLY tight. Nothing holds it in place.

I like how the hitch works when it is set up properly but I can't keep it in place.

Any ideas?
Maury&Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 10:57 PM   #2

Nothing like answering my own question!

I downloaded and read the owners manual (go figure). I see that the torque is very important. I suspect this is my problem. Anyone else run into this? I also need to measure to make sure the L bracket sits at 30" from the tow ball. So I'll try all this and hope it helps.
Old 11-12-2016, 11:03 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Dave had the same problem; think he got it right-

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...road-8581.html
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 12:03 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maury&Julie View Post
Nothing like answering my own question!

I downloaded and read the owners manual (go figure). I see that the torque is very important. I suspect this is my problem. Anyone else run into this? I also need to measure to make sure the L bracket sits at 30" from the tow ball. So I'll try all this and hope it helps.
I'm slightly surprised that all the setup wasnt 100% perfect at the initial install at ETI

or am I missing something. ?

We get our 21' and e2 soon-ish from ETI

maybe I should read the manual first?

Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 05:29 AM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Can't help with a way to stop it from tilting as my Equal-i-zer did the same for the 8 years I had it, other then flipping over the bent plate and retorquing. The tilting did lessen over the years. If I read the other linked thread right, try adding lock washers, which I never tried.

The E2 and the Equal-i-zer are made by Progress Mfg although sold via 2 different web sites. The E2 looks like it may be a lighter version of the Equal-i-zer.

I did want to mention to those having squealing issues, Progress sells a hard rubber, at least I think it's rubber, bracket jacket that help cut down on the noise. Didn't eliminate it 100%, but they did help. If I remember right, you are not supposed to lube the contact points there the Sway/Friction bars ride on the L brackets, kind of defeats their purpose.

The link below is to the Equal-i-zer site, I noticed them on sale at Adventure RV if you search on "Equal-i-zer". Did not see them on the Fastway E2 site. I also carried an extra set of the big L pins, mine got pretty bent up after a while.

Sway Bracket Jacket (pair) : Equal-i-zer Hitch Store
Old 11-13-2016, 11:32 AM   #6

Trailer: 21, June 8, 2016, "The Final Frontier"
Good luck. That problem plagued us all through Alaska and Canada. We were sent new L brackets as ours were bent out of shape after a while. Helped some. We don't believe ETI had this set up correctly and found from the E2 company we had an old model. As we sold the 21, we don't know if the new owner was able to fix the issue. We told him about it, and that it didn't affect the safety of towing, it was just very annoying.
Mary Strasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 11:39 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Strasser View Post
Good luck. That problem plagued us all through Alaska and Canada. We were sent new L brackets as ours were bent out of shape after a while. Helped some. We don't believe ETI had this set up correctly and found from the E2 company we had an old model. As we sold the 21, we don't know if the new owner was able to fix the issue. We told him about it, and that it didn't affect the safety of towing, it was just very annoying.
You bought your trailer June 2016 and you had an older model of the e2?

hoping we get the "newer" model...
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 12:38 PM   #8

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
No such problemo with the Pro Series........

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 01:19 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Ditto- had the more expensive Andersen but it was wearing out within a year. Pro Series easier to use and has a better feel towing IMO.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 01:47 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
The E2 and the Equal-i-zer are made by Progress Mfg although sold via 2 different web sites. The E2 looks like it may be a lighter version of the Equal-i-zer.
Although they're different in the head area, they're essentially the same at the frame end - the part relevant to this problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I did want to mention to those having squealing issues, Progress sells a hard rubber, at least I think it's rubber, bracket jacket that help cut down on the noise. Didn't eliminate it 100%, but they did help. If I remember right, you are not supposed to lube the contact points there the Sway/Friction bars ride on the L brackets, kind of defeats their purpose.

The link below is to the Equal-i-zer site, I noticed them on sale at Adventure RV if you search on "Equal-i-zer". Did not see them on the Fastway E2 site. I also carried an extra set of the big L pins, mine got pretty bent up after a while.

Sway Bracket Jacket (pair) : Equal-i-zer Hitch Store
The description says they're nylon (not rubber), which makes more sense as a bearing surface. It also says
Quote:
NOTE: Utilizing lubrication on the Equal-i-zer L-Bracket, in the form of the Sway Bracket Jacket or any grease type lubricant, may lessen or decrease your sway control by a small degree.
Remember that in the Equal-i-zer design friction at the brackets are supposed to be a minor part of the sway-damping friction, but in the E2 the brackets are the only friction location.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 03:44 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
The brackets on the E2 are essentially the same as the Equal-i-zer that I have had for 3 years. When you tighten the brackets, it is essential that you tighten the top and the bottom equally. If one is tightened first then when the other is tightened, it leaves a space where the bracket is not contacting the frame and this eventually loosens. It is critical that the frame and the bracket are clean (I use alcohol). Also, the bars must be parallel to the frame. If the angle is too great when the weight distribution is applied, there can be too much upward pressure on the back brackets. This can be observed if you mark the correct location of the bracket with a scratch mark and monitor which direction the bracket has moved. If there is too much upward pressure, you can also observe wearing on the retaining L bracket. These L retaining pieces only keep the bars from coming off. If there is a lot of wear on these, it is likely that the hitch is still not adjusted properly. Unparalleled bars also produce squealing because they are not flat to the bracket surfaces. Just my three years of experience with the hitch, which I really like.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 05:25 PM   #12

Thanks for all the helpful information. I just tried retorquing everything and flipping the brackets around. We'll see. I'm quite sure that my problem before was that I over torqued and there was only contact at the top and bottom of the frame since the metal was bowed out. I did not clean the surface carefully with alcohol. That will be my next thing to try if this fails. Then I will call the manufacturer.
Old 11-13-2016, 06:03 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
This is from the Equilizer but it's the same on the Fastway. It's very important that the brackets are properly installed and torqued. Instructions also state to torque before each towing session on page 15.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1448.jpg  
Old 11-13-2016, 06:04 PM   #14

More from the instructions
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1449.jpg   IMG_1450.jpg   IMG_1451.jpg  
Old 11-13-2016, 06:17 PM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Maybe it's just me, but I would not use any WDH whose manufacturer stated the brackets needed to be torqued each time you tow. That's unreasonable and abnormal IMHO.
Old 11-13-2016, 06:29 PM   #16

This is from the fastway manual. Both say they have a breakin period on the angle set bolt and it needs to be rechecked.
The checking and tighting is probably legal smegl.

Probably a good idea to recheck it until them until everything get set in place. Lots of stress going on there.

Both have information about the brackets slipping in the trouble shooting section.

I would suggest downloading and reading the manual.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1452.jpg  
Old 11-13-2016, 10:13 PM   #17

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I would not use any WDH whose manufacturer stated the brackets needed to be torqued each time you tow. That's unreasonable and abnormal IMHO.
I agree, and there are at least four solutions, each with problems:
  1. Use another brand - but I have yet to see a WDH design without some level of issues
  2. Fix the design, with some sort of bolt-though modification to the brackets or assisting device - but it's always hard to fix a fundamentally poor design without any cooperation from the designer or manufacturer of the product
  3. Truly fix the design, by building and installing better brackets - but there are substantial forces on these components so the design is not trival, and fabrication could be significant work
  4. Don't use WD - but some vehicles are not adequate for the task of towing some trailers without some gadget like this
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 10:49 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I agree, and there are at least four solutions, each with problems:
  1. Use another brand - but I have yet to see a WDH design without some level of issues
I've no intention of re-designing or modifying a WDH. I got the Pro Series because it cost the least. I've had no problems.
Old 11-13-2016, 11:24 PM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I've no intention of re-designing or modifying a WDH. I got the Pro Series because it cost the least. I've had no problems.
Yep, tried and true.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:16 AM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Beat me to it. Yah, Dennis installed on pickup, been a long way with it through every condition and haven't had to adjust it ever. Just hook up and go. All I do is clean it and add a little grease before each trip.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e2 hitch, sway bar, weight distribution hitch