Eaz-Lift WDH Model 48057 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2021, 04:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 E19
Eaz-Lift WDH Model 48057

Is anyone familiar with this hitch. I'm a year and a half from receiving my E19 but I'm curious because at $389 from Amazon it seems like a pretty fair deal.
Someone is trying to sell one locally on Kijiji that is new, never used, and he's asking $600. When I questioned the higher cost he said that he paid $723 with taxes in and then a couple of months later they lowered the price. I think he was hoping to find someone that might not do any price checking.
800 lb tongue weight and 10,000 lb towing capacity.
Not sure this link will work!

https://www.amazon.ca/Eaz-Lift-Weigh...JSBFEPYTNX6NAM
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 04:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I paid $350 CAD for the Pro Series that ETI sells. Works fine.
Bigger numbers on the WDH don't mean anything. See label.
Attached Thumbnails
WDHitch capacity.jpg  
Old 11-03-2021, 06:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I paid $350 CAD for the Pro Series that ETI sells. Works fine.
Bigger numbers on the WDH don't mean anything. See label.
I'm pretty new at this stuff. I see that ETI sells two of the Pro Series; one without sway control ($475) and one with sway control ($600). Comparable prices on Amazon.
At $389 the Eaz-Lift with sway control still looks like a decent deal (to the uneducated at least!).
Old 11-03-2021, 07:28 PM   #4

Mine doesn't have sway control and haven't noticed that it's missing. I know nothing about Eaz-lift, so I can't comment. Weight of the unit can also be a consideration.
Old 11-03-2021, 07:47 PM   #5

Trailer: 2022 21C Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
Is anyone familiar with this hitch. I'm a year and a half from receiving my E19 but I'm curious because at $389 from Amazon it seems like a pretty fair deal.
Someone is trying to sell one locally on Kijiji that is new, never used, and he's asking $600. When I questioned the higher cost he said that he paid $723 with taxes in and then a couple of months later they lowered the price. I think he was hoping to find someone that might not do any price checking.
800 lb tongue weight and 10,000 lb towing capacity.
Not sure this link will work!

https://www.amazon.ca/Eaz-Lift-Weigh...JSBFEPYTNX6NAM

I don't know about that particular hitch. We had something similar on a "stick" built trailer. It was more of a pain. I don't remember. I think we had to take the sway control off to back it up into the campsite. I believe in sway control. My personal opinion, my husband was a truck driver and saw way too much out on the road and always planned safety first.

On my build sheet I ordered the E2 trunion believe me, I am still going over it in my mind. Last hitch we had was a Blueox sway pro. Nice hitch but the hitch head assembly was too heavy for me to take in and out of the receiver as I need to put my mountain bike rack on the truck when I get to the campground.

In the states, I use etrailer when I order online. I don't know if they have distribution in CA? Every time I submitted a question to them online they got back to me within a day. Good luck on your search. There are many owners who have years of experience and differing opinions on hitches.
ebike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 09:16 PM   #6

Etrailer has a warehouse in Ontario. If ordering, do it by phone and tell them you want it shipped from Canadian warehouse. Avoids customs brokerage fees etc.
Old 11-04-2021, 01:32 AM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
I used a Eaz-Lift WDH with my 4Runner and Escape 17B. I think from memory it was $329 from the over priced local RV dealership that sells Airstreams.

I was happier with the Eaz-Lift than the Pro Series I currently have that came with the Escape 19. I used the Eaz-Lift and was able to set it perfectly. On the other hand the Pro Series I am not happy with the ride at all. I'm not saying it's a bad hitch, I just can't get a nice ride out of it. And Yes, I have weighed it at the CAT scales and it is my third WDH hitch.

Locally here in London, a used WDH can be had for $250 unless it's an Anderson or Hennsley.
Old 11-04-2021, 10:30 AM   #8

Trailer: 2021 21C
The Fastway E2 WD and anti-sway hitch that we purchased from Escape (before they raised the price) has worked well for us. The hitch head is heavy. Others who have the Andersen hitch which used to be sold by Escape are quite happy with it, and it is much lighter. Andersen has redesigned their hitch and it seems has cured the issues which led Escape to discontinue offering it.

Both of these hitches have built-in anti-sway rather than a separate bar to provide that feature. If you use a separate bar it has to be removed before backing, which quickly becomes an annoyance.

2021 21C "Travels with Karma"
GMC Canyon Denali Turbodiesel Long-bed
DWM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 11:25 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
for our upcoming Bigfoot, I am deciding between the Weigh-safe and the Equalizer. Way safe is a few hundred more with the feature that you always know your tongue weight and it is granular adjusted scientifically. However its 1000.00, where the equalizer is about 700 installed from the dealer. Isn't Castaway E2 a clone of the Equalizer built overseas? MY next trailer will be much heavier than the Escape so I am beefing up the hitch.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 02:13 PM   #10

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Equalizer has bars, and in years, I’ve never removed them to back. It’s never been a problem.
Old 11-04-2021, 03:07 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWM3 View Post
Both of these hitches have built-in anti-sway rather than a separate bar to provide that feature. If you use a separate bar it has to be removed before backing, which quickly becomes an annoyance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
Equalizer has bars, and in years, I’ve never removed them to back. It’s never been a problem.
All WD hitch systems, other than the Andersen No-Sway, have spring bars; there is no need to disconnect them (which would meaning disengaging the whole WD system) to back up. The Equal-i-zer and Fastway E2 (and some other) systems use the spring bars for sway control.

DWM3 is referring to the separate friction-type sway control device often called a "bar": that sort of device may need to be disconnected to avoid jamming or pulling apart at extreme tug-to-trailer angles, particularly if not properly installed. Those extreme angles can only be reached by moving in reverse, or in an extreme out-of-control sway scenario.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 03:22 PM   #12

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Thanks, forgot about those separate sway bars. I’ve just met a number of people who won’t back up until they remove their trunnion bars and swear the trailer won’t back up until they do.
Old 11-05-2021, 12:10 PM   #13

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
I’ve just met a number of people who won’t back up until they remove their trunnion bars and swear the trailer won’t back up until they do.
Apparently some people can be convinced of just about anything.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 01:45 PM   #14

Trailer: 2021 21C
The Fastway E2 (similar to the Equalizer that it's modeled after -same company) has trunnion bars that don't need to be removed to back up. It's just the separate anti-sway bars that are used on some hitches that do. Sorry if I caused some confusion.

I should note, though, that if you have a steep driveway like we do you do have to remove the bars because the change in angle is so much that it puts undue strain on the bars.

2021 21C "Travels with Karma"
GMC Canyon Denali Turbodiesel Long-bed
DWM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 01:57 PM   #15

Driveway doesn't have to be steep. I park my trailer on a slightly sloped drive, but the tow vehicle remains on the road. I only removed the bars once like that. The pressure on the bars drove the lever tube into the asphalt. Luckily I didn't have my foot in that location.

From then on, I attach and detach the bars with both vehicles on the level.
Pro Series WDH.
Old 11-05-2021, 02:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Driveway doesn't have to be steep. I park my trailer on a slightly sloped drive, but the tow vehicle remains on the road. I only removed the bars once like that. The pressure on the bars drove the lever tube into the asphalt. Luckily I didn't have my foot in that location.

From then on, I attach and detach the bars with both vehicles on the level.
Pro Series WDH.
Exactly I removed mine on an incline and it nearly broke my floor. Scraped it up,pretty good
Old 11-05-2021, 02:54 PM   #17

Good info, thanks everyone. So other than cost is there a downside to the Anderson hitch?
Old 11-05-2021, 04:50 PM   #18

Quote:
So other than cost is there a downside to the Anderson hitch?
Well, there is this:
https://www.justice.gov/usao-ut/pr/a...estitution-blm
Old 11-05-2021, 06:48 PM   #19
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Good info, thanks everyone. So other than cost is there a downside to the Anderson hitch?
We very much like and highly recommend the Andersen WDH system. However, the only 'downside' I see is that it takes a slight bit of 'elbow grease' to crank (4 times around) to tighten the chains on each side. I, being a middle aged woman, (average strength?) have no problems doing this. But if you have any arm/shoulder/back problems or don't want to crank anything, then I would advise going with a traditional WDH system with bars and a power tongue jack. We simply don't mind it and feel it's well worth the effort for the benefits (it's effective, simple, lightweight, & easy to store).

One more thing, I wouldn't call this a downside, but with the Andersen WDH there is also a bit of a learning curve to the 're-hitching' process if you back in at a different angle from when you un-hitched. But it's easy to learn how to straighten that triangle plate, if it's crooked. There are Youtube tutorials that show you how to do this. Thus, my habit now is that I try to re-hitch at the same or near the same angle that I unhitched. Easy and simple to do. Hope this helps. -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 12:55 AM   #20

Quote:
Yeah I’ll never buy anything from Andersen
I retired from the NPS
Talk about clueless and his customer base