electric brakes - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2015, 08:33 PM   #1

Trailer: 2006 17B
electric brakes

I bought a used 2006 17B and the original brochure indicates that electric brakes were standard. How can one tell if their trailer indeed does have electric brakes? I'd like to check before investing in a brake controller. Also, if I have the controller harness under the dash, could I buy a controller at Costco and mount myself? Thanks!
riverplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:15 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Electric brakes have wires going to them that are obvious if you throw down a piece of cardboard and slide under and have a look.

There should also be a break away switch on the tongue. You should be able to trigger the brakes by pulling on the wire lanyard. Someone standing near them should be able to hear a click.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:40 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverplace View Post
I bought a used 2006 17B and the original brochure indicates that electric brakes were standard. How can one tell if their trailer indeed does have electric brakes? I'd like to check before investing in a brake controller. Also, if I have the controller harness under the dash, could I buy a controller at Costco and mount myself? Thanks!
If you have the harness, then mounting the controller is a fairly simple operation. If you work at a snail's pace, it should take you all of 15 minutes. But.......read the owner's manual which will tell you how to adjust the controller for optimal break performance.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:19 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Regarding Costco: I've never seen brake controllers for sale there.
I would recommend looking at the etrailer.com website.
Etrailer has a lot of explanatory text and videos about how things work and how to install them. Prices are generally pretty good (at least in the ballpark with other on-line discount sources).

P.S. Note to admins: I just posted this a minute ago, but it posted to a different thread.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:54 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I bought a used 2006 17B and the original brochure indicates that electric brakes were standard.
If there was ever an Escape made without electric brakes, it would have been the 13-foot model. Any 17-foot or larger trailer is too heavy (when loaded with your stuff) to tow without brakes on the trailer; I really don't think Escape ever built a 17-foot without electric brakes.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:11 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I agree with Brian, it was definitely built with brakes. Whether they are still in working condition is the question. That is easy enough to check, just jack up one wheel and make sure you have battery power. Pull the break away switch on the tongue and see if the wheel turns or is locked up.
Rinse and repeat with the other wheel.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:58 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
Quote:
I'd like to check before investing in a brake controller. Also, if I have the controller harness under the dash, could I buy a controller at Costco and mount myself? Thanks!
What tow vehicle are you using?
Some brands of controllers have adapters that plug into the factory harness under the dash. You buy the adapter separately.

Toyota's with towing packages give you the 'pig-tail' that plugs into the harness under the dash but just has loose wires that you have to match and connect to your controller.

My truck had neither and took me the better part of a day and lots of parts and tools and wire. I liked doing it but I'd be concerned about the persons skill set before I'd tell them to do it themselves.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:08 AM   #8

electric brakes

I have a Honda Ridgeline for towing the 17B and it does have the breakaway wire, I didn't know that was part of the electric brakes.....etrailers is a good suggestion, I will check it out. Costco has the controller online, two models, one is digital. If I check the brake by pulling on the breakaway wire, will it release when I let go, or will I have to do something else? Is there a spring mechanism? thanks!
Old 08-22-2015, 10:54 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
The part that is pulled by the breakaway cable is a piece of plastic about 2" long. Pull it right out. Pushes back in.

Also, the trailer brakes rely on one of the wires going to ground on the trailer frame. It would be good to remove the wire, clean the lug, and reinstall. And, on my few month old trailer, one of the connectors from the brake, about a foot from the wheel where it joins the ETI wire, had a frayed and damaged wire. So checking those items also would be good. Poor wire grounds equal poor brakes.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:26 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
riverplace, check out Amazon for brake controllers, and don't forget you need the wiring harness.

Amazon.com: TEKONSHA P2 PRODIGY BRAKE CONTROL + WIRING HARNESS FOR HONDA RIDGELINE AND PILOT. CONTROLLER + PLUG/PLAY WIRE KIT.: Automotive
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:55 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape 19
I got the prodigy p3 for my ridgeline at amazon, with the wire harness for ridgelne/pilot.

Locating the plug in my ridgeline took some time, it was way up inside by the steering wheel! PIA to get to! The rest was easy!

FYI - manual says to make sure 7pin connector is not plugged into truck when testing breakaway switch as it may damage brake controller.

"Not all those who wander are lost.." JRR Tolkien
56reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:47 AM   #12

I'm having difficulty finding the plug under the dash of my Ridgeline, mechanic couldn't find either. He tested the back 7 pin plug in and said everything was hot and the hitch and plug -in were factory installed, so the 4 pin plug should be under the dash somewhere......any ideas of where to look and is it a grey 4 pin plug??
Old 09-04-2015, 11:09 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
On both my Tacoma and Tundra, the plug had a cover, which made them a little less obvious.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:39 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape 19
It is a light grey plug, it is in the cluster of wires up above the emergency brake, close to the dip for the steering column. There is a bundle of various wires wrapped in grey tape, it was in this group on my ridgeline
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

"Not all those who wander are lost.." JRR Tolkien
56reader is offline   Reply With Quote