Electric F-150 - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2019, 03:14 PM   #41

Trailer: future 5.0 owner
What about naturel gas? How do we produce electricity? Is nuclear, solar and wind enough? (I don't think so)
Old 01-23-2019, 03:16 PM   #42

I fired too quickly, I should have read Brian B-P's post 1st.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:42 PM   #43

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Brian, other than NL you've mentioned all the provinces except ours. You did talk about hydroelectric for BC and Quebec but you may be interested to know that 97% of Manitoba's power comes from falling water, with only two gas turbine plants, four remote location diesel generators and two small wind turbine farms providing the balance. We have the cheapest hydro costs outside Quebec and export power to ND, ON, and MN.

Keeping on topic then driving an electric vehicle in this province makes sense. Not that I plan to rush out and buy the first electric F-150. The range issue would concern me.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:16 PM   #44

I think this was intended for Brian! This is frank...
Old 01-23-2019, 07:39 PM   #45

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
We get lots of rain here in the Southeast U.S. (60+ inches of rain per year) that ultimately flows down major rivers - most with multiple hydroelectric dams. Many hydro dams in Alabama were designed to meet the high electrical demands of textile mills located strategically nearby, mills that closed when production was relocated to other countries with cheap labor (our area lost the home of Russell Mills, as in Russell Athletics, etc.). Our local electricity comes from the nearby Lake Thurlow hydroelectric dam on the Tallapoosa river (below Yates Dam and Martin Dam, both are also major hydro dams). The Thurlow Dam was built to accommodate four water turbines - three to meet the electrical needs of the surrounding region and a fourth turbine dedicated to the large complex of "Tallassee Mills" (established in 1841) that no longer exist - so that fourth turbine now sits idle. Provided the particulars, I'm sure an electrical engineer could calculate exactly how many electric vehicles could be charged from that fourth turbine if they would put it back on line, but I'm guessing it would be lots. I wonder how many other turbines were idled across the Southeast when so many textile mills shut down and production moved overseas....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:02 PM   #46

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Brian, other than NL you've mentioned all the provinces except ours.
Manitoba (and Newfoundland & Labrador) are in the "rest of" category:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That's most of Canada accounted for, with lots of coal and nuclear. The rest of the provinces are primarily hydro powered...
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
... 97% of Manitoba's power comes from falling water, with only two gas turbine plants, four remote location diesel generators and two small wind turbine farms providing the balance.
Keeping on topic then driving an electric vehicle in this province makes sense.
It does make sense (from an energy source standpoint), as long as owners don't charge at peak times, when those gas turbine plants are run to meet demand... and even then increased demand will lead to more hydroelectric projects, which although renewable and non-carbon-emitting are far from environmentally benign.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:06 PM   #47

Trailer: ?
And if you have an extra 30 grand laying around, you will soon be able to get an electric Harley with an optimistic range of 110 miles per charge.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

0-60 in under 3.5 seconds
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:28 PM   #48

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Manitoba (and Newfoundland & Labrador) are in the "rest of" category: It does make sense (from an energy source standpoint), as long as owners don't charge at peak times, when those gas turbine plants are run to meet demand... and even then increased demand will lead to more hydroelectric projects, which although renewable and non-carbon-emitting are far from environmentally benign.
On a side note, hydroelectric dams generate more than just electrical power. Lake Martin in Alabama was constructed by the Alabama Power Company back in the 1920's to generate electricity. But it also serves as a major flood control reservoir for central Alabama. And with 44,000-acres of surface water and over 750 miles of wooded shoreline, a recent study found that its lakefront property was valued at nearly $5 billion, and there was over $70 million in annual retail spending associated with lake activities ($22 million of that at the many marinas). I'm afraid to even think about how many trips we've made to the bait and tackle stores around the lake to replace fishing lures we've lost in it. But I digress....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 09:46 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
And if you have an extra 30 grand laying around, you will soon be able to get an electric Harley with an optimistic range of 110 miles per charge.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

0-60 in under 3.5 seconds
Harley-Davidson has been teasing the LiveWire for years, but other companies have actually been selling electric motorcycles of various styles - that's one vehicle market segment that has been covered with EVs. Now that they're going to actually build the LiveWire, they are also showing some prototypes of other type of electric motorcycles.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:00 PM   #50

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0
In discussing the merits of any technology it must be kept in mind that nothing fits every need. It is unfair to electric vehicle to complain that you can't go nonstop from coast to coast towing a 40 foot 5er. It just isn't what they are aimed at.

How many pickups going down the highway are empty and have a single occupant? How many more have a few boxes or bales of hay in the back and only two occupants? How many of them are only going to go 75 miles today? I don't know but my guess is that it is most of them. I would also guess that most of them will hardly ever do anything else.

If I am right then at least half of the pickup market is ready for an electric truck. For those who often exceed the capabilities of an electric vehicle then something else is a better answer but if you have a fleet of pickups then it is likely that at least some of them could be replaced by electrics and it would make economic sense.

Right now I have in my shop a one ton diesel truck that spends most of its life driving across fields to change the water. It doesn't need to go 80 MPH or have more than 100 miles of range. It belongs to a farmer who has several pickups. When he needs to haul cattle in a goose neck trailer he can use something else. He doesn't need this truck for that. This truck has a utility bed with bins full of sprinkler parts. There is nothing about the use of this truck that precludes electric power.

There are many uses for a pickup other than towing an RV. But if you want to tow your RV with and electric truck that has 250 miles of empty range and 150 miles of towing range then what you need is a generator in the bed. It would not be a factory item because it would not meet EPA requirements but as an aftermarket item it would be easy to install. It could plug into an outlet in the bed and charge the batteries as you drive. It would only be used when you had no other options. When you stop for the night at a campground you could plug into the 50 amp outlet and charge your truck up overnight at a fraction of the price of fuel. Of course that depends on the camp ground having individual metering for electric sites so that they wouldn't have to charge a flat rate which would be excessive.

Concerning hydrogen fuel, it has a lot of things to recommend it. I won't go into those. It also has several problems. Many of them are technical in nature and may be solved over time so it is useless to consider them. There are a some problems with hydrogen that are inherent in the science that I would like to discuss.

The first thing you have to decide is where the hydrogen will come from. Today it can be extracted from many fossil fuels and that is the main source. One of the big advantages of hydrogen is that it is a clean fuel but if you extract it from fossil fuels it becomes dirty. Carbon dioxide is the pollutant of concern these days, what with all of the hoorah over global warming. Reforming fossil fuels into hydrogen and ejecting as waste the carbon as carbon dioxide negates one of the main reasons to go with electric vehicles. Let's look for other ways to get hydrogen.

A good way to make hydrogen is by using electricity that is not being used for other things. Consumer use of power is cyclic through out the day. A times of low demand the available power could be used to make hydrogen. If the power source is non-polluting then the resulting hydrogen would be truly clean. Of course the hydrogen is then used in a fuel cell to make electricity. The round trip from power in to power out is moderately efficient but not as good as battery storage.

Hydrogen in this scenario is than a chemical way of storing electricity. So are all common batteries. Now the question arises as to which method is better and in which ways?

Hydrogen fuel cells are not as power dense as the best batteries but, depending on the storage system, they have the potential for much higher energy density. Fuel cells can be life of the vehicle devices but if the hydrogen isn't pure it will contaminate the cell and lead to early death. It would be the same as getting bad fuel for you ICE.

Hydrogen can be refueled in much the same way as we do now, with Oregonians not being capable enough to do it themselves but with most of us able to handle it just fine. (I just couldn't resist, sorry)

Batteries can be made to interchange quickly too. You could trade out a battery pack in about the same time it takes to refuel a tank. It would just take the right equipment. If Ford did this with a pickup, every Ford dealer who sold electric pickups would be required to have the facilities to quick change batteries. In an era when we are contemplating self-driving cars, self servicing electric vehicles should be easy.

I envision something like a car wash where you drive up, pay a fee and it takes you through a tunnel where the used up battery is remove and a fresh one installed. There is no reason why your vehicle couldn't be washed at the same time.

What it really comes down to is which is more likely to dominate in the market. Adding charging stations to your home and rest stops along the freeway would be a lot easier than adding hydrogen fueling stations across town. Not that either would be easy or impossible. It's just that one is easier than the other. Being able to recharge at home for most uses at home energy rates would be a big convenience. Having to go to the one place in the area that has hydrogen would be a big hassle.

Where will electricity come from to do all of this? For starters it would come from the existing sources. Like I said, hydrogen would be made on off peak hours near the power source. Charging would also be done primarily during off peak times. To get people to do this, power would be billed at different rates to give enough incentive to make it happen. You could recharge when you got home from work at $.20/KWH or wait until after 10:00p.m. and recharge at $.06 /KWH. What would you do?

Eventually it may be practical to load level the grid with batteries. You could essentially drive for free by letting the utility use the power stored in your car to power the grid during peak times and then recharge them when power was available. This wouldn't work for most people because they need to be driving to work at the time the utility wants to use their storage but for a few, particularly us retirees, it could even make us some spare change. This depends on more advanced batteries than we have right now though. As it is, cycle life is too limited to make this pay off. The batteries would wear out before the income from load leveling paid for a new set.

In time the current generating capacity will not meet the demand. When that happens we will need new sources. Fossil fuels are not likely to be the answer because of environmental concerns which are getting more restrictive all of the time. There isn't much hope for hydro either. They are talking about decommissioning dams, not building more. Even though reservoirs do great things for the overall environment, the impact on some obscure creature is likely to doom any new hydro.

Wind might look good until you look at the dead birds littering the ground under the turbines. The only people who can kill raptors with impunity are the ones who own windmills. Some day that will stop. However, if utility controlled intermittent charging came into play, batter powered vehicles could make wind power much more practical.

Solar isn't free. There have been several posts by people claiming that they are running their electric vehicle off solar panels and that it isn't costing them anything. That is not true. The cycle life cost of solar panels is still some of the most expensive electricity available. The one good thing about solar is that it is available where ever the sun shines. Otherwise, so far, it is expensive electricity. That is changing though.

Nuclear power has a black eye and deservedly so. There have been some really bad nuclear accidents that shouldn't have happened. It all comes down to the choice of technology that was made 70 year ago. At the time we wanted bombs so we needed reactors that made bomb materials. We chose designs that did that. Making power from uranium is a bad idea but we did it because we wanted the plutonium that resulted. We can do better.

Nuclear power based on thorium is vastly safer and more sustainable. Thorium isn't dangerous in itself, it is as abundant as lead, the designs are inherently resistant to big accidents or terrorist incidents. There is only a small fraction of the radioactive waste. It can actually use up waste from our backlog of uranium power waste. The tech isn't worked out yet but the theory has been tried and proven. It will happen some day and then nuclear will come into its own.

There are lots of new battery technologies ahead that will improve on lithium-ion but even today electric will work for some. As things improve they will work for more.
mizterwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:58 PM   #51

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
A 2.7 Ecoboost Hybrid F 150 (Plug In) would be on my interest list although Im not sure I would want it in the first model year. Still, without mandates, CAFE requirements and govt. subsidies can these models survive? I have a 2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid and really like the 46 to 51 mpg we get with it. I would like the more powerful plug in model but they don't seem to sell them in Colorado because they aren't subsidized enough in this state.

Still, whether you like it or not hydraulic Fracturing (Fracking) with horizontal drilling is probably the most important development with the greatest amount of consequence in the twenty first century and because of it we currently have much lower gas prices, an almost unlimited supply of oil and natural gas and most ship building in the world is dedicated to building LNG carriers. Like it or not oil and gas is here to stay for at least another century and the United States will be the major producer and exporter of oil and LNG to the world. Wind, solar, batteries, hydrogen power etc. are all puny little technologies in comparison and will not contribute much beyond enhancing the efficiency of oil and gas usage. The sheer amount of oil and natural gas in west Texas alone is staggering but ANWAR in Alaska has been opened up and the economic benefits of building and rebuilding the pipeline infrastructure, ports for the LNG Tankers, gasoline powered vehicles is massive. If Texas has massive amounts of oil and natural gas then many other countries also have it and it will be developed. Yes, fracking was first developed in 1947 but the 2004 annual report of EXXON didn't even mention fracking as it was still a minor part of their technology. Now all oil development uses it so it is a twenty first century technology.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:59 AM   #52

I wonder if the current lines can handle the added juice. Then is the demand there the drops and charging stations. I got it! Elon Musk: If your reading this...
Old 01-24-2019, 02:08 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizterwizard View Post
Batteries can be made to interchange quickly too. You could trade out a battery pack in about the same time it takes to refuel a tank. It would just take the right equipment. If Ford did this with a pickup, every Ford dealer who sold electric pickups would be required to have the facilities to quick change batteries. In an era when we are contemplating self-driving cars, self servicing electric vehicles should be easy.

I envision something like a car wash where you drive up, pay a fee and it takes you through a tunnel where the used up battery is remove and a fresh one installed.
The idea of battery swapping has probably been around as long as battery-powered vehicles. After all, we swap battery packs in our power tools, right? There are several problems applying this to vehicles, but the biggest are probably the cost of automated swap stations, and the lack of standardization in batteries.

A network of swapping stations dedicated to just F-150's of a limited year range is not viable, and on the other extreme making every EV - of every brand and size and type and generation - use batteries which fit in the same space and connect to the vehicle the same way... that is nowhere near feasible. There is no component of a vehicle which is physically interchangeable between all brands and models, or even a tiny fraction of them; I'm sure that batteries won't be the first. Even if physical interchangeability were possible, would swap stations stock pre-charged batteries of every capacity and performance level? How would warranty coverage and the very different values of different ages of battery work? Even swapping a 20-pound propane tank has problems, and batteries are orders of magnitude more complex.

Tesla got close to swap viability by building two models (S and X) with two physical sizes of battery (14-module and 16-module) and varying capacities, all in the same physical package; however, they have moved to a different package for the Model 3. Even if the Model S/X battery were readily swappable, no P100D owner would accept a 60 kWh battery at a swap, and every owner of every other variant (from 40 to 90 kWh) can't be expected to upgrade to the highest capacity. According to Elon Musk, they seriously looked at battery-swapping, but concluded that it would never be feasible.

One way to handle battery size variations could be to swap modules instead, with different vehicles using a different number of modules. This is superficially promising, but I think that connection complexity and the problems of managing mismatched modules kill the idea quickly.

I believe that there is a possible application for battery-swapping: a fleet of consistent vehicles belonging to a single owner and running on a dedicated route between a small number of locations could swap their interchangeable batteries instead of charging. This is a very different scenario from private owners of pickup trucks roaming the continent.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:57 AM   #54

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Manitoba (and Newfoundland & Labrador) are in the "rest of" category:It does make sense (from an energy source standpoint), as long as owners don't charge at peak times, when those gas turbine plants are run to meet demand... and even then increased demand will lead to more hydroelectric projects, which although renewable and non-carbon-emitting are far from environmentally benign.
Yes Brian, just giving you a had time for not specifically mentioning us

The largest (by far) of the two gas turbine plants are to supply power for Brandon, our second largest city.

And yes, hydroelectric projects are not always the best. In fact the newest one in MB is facing a large deficit (in construction and running the transmission lines from way up north) which means we'll be paying considerably more for power. There is much opposition to this.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:30 PM   #55

I agree with Brian B-P that battery swapping has a lot of problems. I can see it working for OTR truckers if the SAE came out with a standardized battery pack.

I could see it working for pickups and cars that could tow a range extending battery pack or if it could fit in the bed. It could even be the SAE battery pack adapted for the use. It would be something you would rent or lease from U-Haul as the need arose, not something to own.

You could get a range extender. Then you would be able to drive to your winter home in Arizona. Once there you would return the battery pack to U-Haul. Drive around the area on the regular battery. Get another range extender to visit the grands in Georgia. Get another to go the the daughter's wedding in Ohio. Another to go to Branson. Etc. Or there could be a time share type of deal. Lots of solutions are possible.

In this respect hydrogen has a big advantage because all you need is a universal connector and fueling solution and it would be just like gasoline. Then, of course you need a fueling station, which is the big hurdle.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:31 PM   #56

What has happened to hydrogen? We hear a lot about battery technology but not much more about hydrogen. I think hydrogen was the cleaner choice. Batteries seem to be dirtier in respect to manufacturing and disposal and we still have to burn fossil fuels to charge them. Is big money taking us down a path of there choice?
Old 01-24-2019, 06:56 PM   #57

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian Tow View Post
What has happened to hydrogen?

See post #12, #13 this thread.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:33 PM   #58

Wow did not know any of this... So it looks as batteries are the way to go? Even with all the side affects? O well lets look forward to an electric Escape, or something electric pulling our Escapes...
Old 01-25-2019, 08:34 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian Tow View Post
What has happened to hydrogen? We hear a lot about battery technology but not much more about hydrogen. I think hydrogen was the cleaner choice. Batteries seem to be dirtier in respect to manufacturing and disposal and we still have to burn fossil fuels to charge them. Is big money taking us down a path of there choice?
To cut to the chase, where are you proposing to get hydrogen from? If from fossil fuels then what do you propose to do with the carbon waste? If from electricity then where do you propose to get the electricity?

If it wasn't for the environmental concerns about fossil fuels I doubt that there would be any impetus for changing to electric drive. Yes, it will run so low some day that it is too expensive to burn in our cars but that isn't what we are dealing with right now. Using fossil fuels to make hydrogen does not solve the environmental problems as well as using batteries.

There are clean methods of getting electricity and that is what we are heading for. Electricity has to be stored in some way to be used in mobile applications because we don't have slot car strips down the middle of the road lanes. The only good way to store it is as hydrogen or in the chemicals in a battery.

When you store electricity in a battery you get more of it back than when you store it as hydrogen.

Where is the nearest hydrogen source to you? I bet few of us even know. Where is the nearest electricity to charge your batteries? I bet there is a battery within 10 feet of you right now that is being charged.

Both technologies have problems but the battery's problems are easier to solve. 10 years ago nobody had an electric car. Today Tesla outsells BMW in the US. The road ahead for batteries looks better than the road ahead for hydrogen.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:58 PM   #60

To start with I'm no expert on either. All I've been told is that hydrogen is the most abundant chemical in our universe... I think it might be a good idea to take advantage of that source...