Electric F-150 - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-25-2019, 10:45 AM   #141

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Oh! look! A squirrel eating poutine!
Old 02-25-2019, 02:31 PM   #142

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
And that has what to do with an electric F-150 lol
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 05:35 PM   #143

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0
As much as anything else posted after page 4 of this thread.
mizterwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 07:46 AM   #144

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Speaking of typing, I'm a touch typist. Have been since the 10th grade. Have a new MacBook Air and now I have to keep correcting because I hit the 'b' with my index finger when I want to hit 'n'. Did Apple shrink the keyboard? I also hit 'g' instead of 'h'; 't' instead of 'y'.
Hi: gbaglo... I'm a touch typist too!!! Haven't touched a type righter in years. I use two fingers and a "Dick shun airy". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie "Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt"
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:01 AM   #145

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Oh! look! A squirrel eating poutine!
Hi: dfandrews... "SHOCKING" Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie "Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt".
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 06:02 PM   #146
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Thought this was an interesting article

Journalists Plug Ford Electric Truck in at Campground, Find Out It Will Take 5 Days to Fully Charge
https://www.westernjournal.com/journ...fully-charge/?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 06:36 PM   #147

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
EV's are niche vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post

Journalists Plug Ford Electric Truck in at Campground, Find Out It Will Take 5 Days to Fully Charge
I want one, and am trying to find a Bolt EUV to acquire, but I go into it knowing that there are significant limitations to a niche vehicle. Not for everybody, and not for everything. We're in the cassette memory era, at best, with dial-up, to use an analogy. EV's will be likely a slower evolution than computers, and time will tell.
Disclosure: This posting was not produced on my venerable VIC 20 Commodore computer, or even on my Radio Shack TRS -80 computer.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 06:40 PM   #148

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
I want one, and am trying to find a Bolt EUV to acquire, but I go into it knowing that there are significant limitations to a niche vehicle. Not for everybody, and not for everything. We're in the cassette memory era, at best, with dial-up, to use an analogy. EV's will be likely a slower evolution than computers, and time will tell.
Disclosure: This posting was not produced on my venerable VIC 20 Commodore computer, or even on my Radio Shack TRS -80 computer.
And this reply wasn't typed on my Timex/Sinclair 1000 either. It predated PCs as we know them today, long before my Apple 2e.

We went to a car show 3 years ago and got to test drive a lot of EVs. The Bolt was absolutely our first choice.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 07:40 PM   #149

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
And this reply wasn't typed on my Timex/Sinclair 1000 either. It predated PCs as we know them today, long before my Apple 2e.

We went to a car show 3 years ago and got to test drive a lot of EVs. The Bolt was absolutely our first choice.

Ron
Yeah, I also soldered together a Sinclair computer, bought from the ad in Popular Science magazine. 2K memory! A first adopter! Hook it up to the B&W TV to do just about nothing. I then waited awhile until the tech got better. Give me a hammer...I can use; I don't want to build the hammer.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 07:50 PM   #150

Trailer: 21
Attached Thumbnails
E1339415-6B56-4A12-9404-E9CCAFBED96A.jpeg  
Old 10-06-2022, 11:11 PM   #151

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
Yeah, I also soldered together a Sinclair computer, bought from the ad in Popular Science magazine. 2K memory! A first adopter! Hook it up to the B&W TV to do just about nothing. I then waited awhile until the tech got better. Give me a hammer...I can use; I don't want to build the hammer.
I could make the seagull fly. Yah, a massive 2k memory. After that I thought that my Apple 2e dual disk drives were state of the art.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 12:28 AM   #152

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
Five days is for a 120V level 1 charger. No big surprise there and Andre knew that long before they went to a campground. They needed 240v (level 2) and a bunch of amps.

Our EV charges very slowly on the 120V 15 amp charger that comes with the car. We installed a 240V 48 amp level2 charger at home and it charges from 20% to 80% at a rate of about 30 miles per hour.

The important part of the article was the reality that Ford Lightnings have virtually no towing range. Effective electric tow vehicles are a bit far off.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 01:33 AM   #153
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I could make the seagull fly. Yah, a massive 2k memory. After that I thought that my Apple 2e dual disk drives were state of the art.

Ron
My first computer was a designed and wired from scratch 32k i8085 running CP/M, built on a dozen 4x5" vector boards, circa 1978. It had a pair of very early 8" shugart 900 disks that work was going to toss out. The hardest part to get working reliably was the data separator for the floppies as those first gen drives were very raw.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 07:17 AM   #154

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bborzell View Post
Five days is for a 120V level 1 charger. No big surprise there and Andre knew that long before they went to a campground. They needed 240v (level 2) and a bunch of amps.
I'm not sure everyone does understand this, which is why it's good to see it noted. Early in this thread, someone suggested bringing along a generator as an 'in-case' way of getting a charge into their tow EV. That's unrealistic because even a 300 pound 240V contractor type generator won't have a Level 2 charger with it. 110V outlets, generators.....these are not solutions.

Quote:
The important part of the article was the reality that Ford Lightnings have virtually no towing range. Effective electric tow vehicles are a bit far off.
Yep. The bigger problem is that even if you built a good tow EV, it would be so expensive and so heavy for the (typical) 95% of the time when it isn't towing that it would not make sense.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 10:10 AM   #155

Trailer: SOLD - 2022 Escape 21NE
My wife and I are still driving hybrids and probably will for some time to come.

Range, when you're out ranging, is important. My hybrid F-150 can go for 350, maybe 400 miles, when pulling our 21NE. When not towing, 650 (maybe 700) miles is achievable.

And I can charge a Lightning in about 14 hours, using 1/2 a tank of gas.
Tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 07:13 PM   #156

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post

In other news...
Stupid "journalists" Buy Gasoline In Bucket, Start Filling Gasoline Truck With Turkey Baster, Find Out It Will Take Days To Fill Tank
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 05:10 PM   #157

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
... Early in this thread, someone suggested bringing along a generator as an 'in-case' way of getting a charge into their tow EV. That's unrealistic because even a 300 pound 240V contractor type generator won't have a Level 2 charger with it.
Given a 240 VAC source, all that's needed is a portable EVSE, which is the adapter that makes the EV work with an AC power source. EVs normally come with one of these, and the people who made the video used the one for the F-150 Lightning, which handles 240 VAC sources at up to 32 A from the common (found at campsites and in kitchens for ranges) NEMA 6-50 connection. If the generator has 240 V AC output but a different connector, a simple passive plug adapter fixes that.

I'm not suggesting making a bad series hybrid by carrying a portable generator in an EV, but a generator does work for charging an EV when necessary.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 06:09 PM   #158
Site Team

240v at 50 amps ((fast charging), is 12KW. That's a good sized contractor generator that you pull as a trailer.
Old 10-08-2022, 07:32 PM   #159

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
240v at 50 amps ((fast charging), is 12KW. That's a good sized contractor generator that you pull as a trailer.
Yeah. I have a 7.5 kW Honda that powers my house when the lines are down. There is absolutely no way my wife and I could lift it into my truck bed. Plus, adding that sucker to my load while pulling a trailer would put me overweight for sure.

I'm not saying it's impossible to charge an EV with a generator, but I am saying that as a way to make RV towing with EVs more practical, it is itself not practical. Any truly portable generator doesn't make enough power to charge a big tow-vehicle EV in a reasonable amount of time. Any generator that could do it is going to be way too big and heavy.

Let's back up and remember this.......vehicles like the Rivian R1T and Ford Lightning are not cutting it (for towing) already because their batteries are too small. And that's at 130kWh or whatever. This thread started with the idea of a Silverado EV at 200 kWh. Those are big energy numbers. If you want to charge a 200 kWh battery (or bigger) fast, you need a lot of power. That is why generators are not practical.

Finally (I know this is getting long) think about the practical issues. A big-ass generator could maybe do Level 2 charging, but you know if you tried to charge your EV in a campground with a big, powerful, and super-loud generator that your neighbors might come to your trailer with pitchforks and torches. Even boondocking, do you want to listen to a loud generator all day?

And for short stops on the road? Level 3? Forgheddaboudit. You can't bring a big enough generator with you to do Level 3 charging, and so in the time of a lunch stop your L2 generator powered charge will net you a few %.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 07:58 PM   #160
Site Team

Once as a joke, I calculated the MPG of a Tesla S being recharged by a Honda 2000, and it wasn't very good.