Electrical Configuration - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-19-2021, 02:14 PM   #1

Trailer: 2010 Casita
Electrical Configuration

Hello -
We are in the configuration process and plan to order the following for a new 21C: One solar panel (190w); Solar port for additional panel if needed; One lithium battery; 1500w inverter.

We live in Western Nevada and typically camp w/o hook-ups. The areas where we usually camp get plenty of sun. We plan to camp three seasons.

Would appreciate comments from those with a similar configuration.
MRaponi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 02:20 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRaponi View Post
Hello -
We are in the configuration process and plan to order the following for a new 21C: One solar panel (190w); Solar port for additional panel if needed; One lithium battery; 1500w inverter.

We live in Western Nevada and typically camp w/o hook-ups. The areas where we usually camp get plenty of sun. We plan to camp three seasons.

I have a pair of 160 watt panels, the GoPower 1500 watt inverter (rewired with #0 wire) & 3 Battleborn lithium 100 amp hour batteries.

I spent the winter of 2019 in Quartzsite with 2 lithium batteries, and managed to get through 3 cloudy days with them, but decided to add the third battery so I could go a week without sun.

I do use more amp hours than most - make a pot of drip coffee each morning, ofter run a toaster, microwave & Instant pot. Lots of camera & other electronics charging & a very power hungry laptop. I average 40 - 50 amp hours per day.
Old 03-19-2021, 06:44 PM   #3

Thanks for responding with some very useful information. Something I didn't add - we won't be using many appliances.
Old 03-19-2021, 08:41 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRaponi View Post
Hello -

I would add the second lithium battery . I know the go power batteries ETI is using are rated for 100A (continuous); 120A (30 minutes); 150A (5 seconds). You inverter will be much happier with a pair of them. IMO 100 amp battery is not enough for a 1500 watt inverter . Plus if you camp with out hookups you will welcome the extra capacity.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 12:38 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
We camp extensively in the east side of CA (the US-395 corridor generally) from about April through November. We have a group 31 12V battery, and a 150W solar panel flat on the roof.
Our electricity use is: propane furnace - so, fan and controller, frig controller (frig is in propane mode), Maxx fan running frequently (even at night) for ventilation, LED lights, USB charging for phones and 2 way radios, occasional charging of a laptop computer through a small 300W inverter.
Solar is entirely adequate for our needs unless we get 3 or more solid stormy/heavily overcast days, but then we're moving somewhere else anyway, and the battery is charged while we're under tow.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 01:18 AM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
We use no 120V appliances, don't have a built in inverter, and are perfectly happy. Have the 160W solar they offered in 2014.

I do have a small '300W' (really more like 150-200 watt max sustained) inverter that we use for charging a few things that don't have 12VDC chargers (wife's laptop, ebike batteries). we make coffee by boiling water and using a hand grinder and either filter or aeropress. we bake quite a bit with the propane oven in our 21, hot sandwiches, reheated frozen home made meals.

My 2014 has the dual golf cart flooded batts. I just added a SmartShunt so next camping trip I can better monitor the battery state and see what our daily usage really is.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 02:00 PM   #7

Great information. Thanks.
Old 03-24-2021, 08:08 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I have a pair of 160 watt panels, the GoPower 1500 watt inverter (rewired with #0 wire) & 3 Battleborn lithium 100 amp hour batteries.

I spent the winter of 2019 in Quartzsite with 2 lithium batteries, and managed to get through 3 cloudy days with them, but decided to add the third battery so I could go a week without sun.

Jon- When you added your third lithium battery did you connect it in the same way as the first two, or did you rearrange the connections by using bus bars, daisy-chaining the batteries, etc?
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Jon- When you added your third lithium battery did you connect it in the same way as the first two, or did you rearrange the connections by using bus bars, daisy-chaining the batteries, etc?
Rather than buss bars, I used #0 wiring between batteries, with the negative coming off one end of the chain & the positive the other.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1878.jpg  
Old 03-24-2021, 11:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Rather than buss bars, I used #0 wiring between batteries, with the negative coming off one end of the chain & the positive the other.

My finished installation won't look that neat. What material did you use for the partition in the front of the compartment?
Old 03-24-2021, 12:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
My finished installation won't look that neat. What material did you use for the partition in the front of the compartment?
1/8" Styrene bent 90° at the end of the batteries. As to neat, I ordered the #0 cables from Genuine DealZ with a note to make them eye center to eye center for a length of 7-3/8" (the spacing between the terminal centers). They made them exactly to size. I'd hate to need to get at any of the negative bolts. I ordered an insulated 1/2" open end wrench - things got a little closer than I liked tightening them.
Old 03-24-2021, 12:47 PM   #12

I just realized that I can daisy-chain my batteries together and still fuse them individually with MRBF fuses. Then I can avoid using the busbars and excessive cabling. Looks like I'm going to do it over. Grrrr.
Old 03-24-2021, 07:21 PM   #13

Quote:
1/8" Styrene bent 90° at the end of the batteries.

What is the blue strip you have screwed down at the front of the compartment?

Tags
inverter, lithium battery, solar panel