Equalizer Hitch Required For 17"? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2009, 07:01 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Equalizer Hitch Required For 17"?

When we bought our 17' Escape, we were told that we wouldn't need an equalizer hitch. While traveling this summer, however, we have noticed that many trailers in this size class do indeed use them. So far, we haven't experienced any towing issues with our trailer. Should I consider one of these hitches? When and why would it be required?

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Re: Equalizer Hitch Required For 17"?

I can't tell what your tow is but if it is front wheel drive Reace says you need it to transfer weight to the front axle. My RAV is 4-wheel drive, but I gather that's only when required. I believe the rest of the time it is front wheel drive. I think the EQ hitch smooths the ride and helps with sway ( which I have not experienced ). I took mine over closed weigh scale on the highway ( it still gives the reading - you're just not getting in the way of trucks ). Mine read 1080 kg. on the front axle, 970 kg on the rear. I suspect without the EQ it would be the other way around.

baglo
Old 08-27-2009, 07:45 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Doug, most do seem to use them. I don't use one pulling my 19 with the Pilot, and there has been very few instances where it would be needed. I have no issues traction. That said, properly set up, I don't see that it could hurt.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:56 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape17

I'm on my way to order a 17'.....I'm concern too, about A EQ...but if you look closely at the 17', the wheel are far back and I don't think to experience any sway at all. My major concern was with the weight for the hitch. We got a Rav4 2007 and with my Scamp 13...the weight of the hicth is at 220lbs right now. Anyway i like the symplicity....so I'll try it without the EQ.
patjul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:23 AM   #5

We pulled our 17 footer home with our Toyota Sienna and no WDH hitch. When we came close to Prince George in the dark, a lot of the oncoming vehicles were flashing their lights at us as they thought we had our high beams on. The front of the Sienna was too high. With the WDH, the Sienna and trailer were level and no more problems.
ellen smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:33 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Like in Ellen's case, it can also depend on how tough the rear suspension is. You may have no troubles without a WDH, but if the rear springs are soft(ish) one would help. I would imagine adding air suspension would work as well too, keeping the hitch simple (I like that too).
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellen smith
We pulled our 17 footer home with our Toyota Sienna and no WDH hitch. When we came close to Prince George in the dark, a lot of the oncoming vehicles were flashing their lights at us as they thought we had our high beams on. The front of the Sienna was too high. With the WDH, the Sienna and trailer were level and no more problems.
Indeed Ellen!
If the trailer tongue weight dips your hinney it raises your headlights.
This, to me, is the best reason to add a WDH... and add to that Rease's reason: Front drive cars.

Originally I would not have one on my Casita as it interferes with ground clearance on very rough dippy roads *and* it is more trouble to deal with hitching/unhitching.

So I put in air springs so that I can pneumatically level the rig out.

Adding one more point: I am a fervent believer that the easier something is to tow the faster you will drive it and that speed is the hidden demon to trailering.

Just sayin
Old 08-28-2009, 07:16 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

I have a 2008 RAV4 and 17B and I use the equalizer hitch.
To quote: "The four-wheel-drive system is on-demand, which means you operate in front-wheel-drive until slippage puts all four wheels to work." -- Chicago Tribune
Which means that you want to transfer weight from the rear to the driving wheels. I think moving that weight forward also helps with sway.
Using the equalizer hitch is more work when hooking up, but worth the effort for ride and safety.

baglo