Escape 19 Coupler Height Unloaded? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2021, 10:50 AM   #1

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Escape 19 Coupler Height Unloaded?

I know it's advertised 19" loaded, but anyone have any idea how much higher it is unloaded? Getting my WDH setup close (Andersen) for a June pickup, and this first trip the trailer won't have much in it.

Thanks!
Mark
MarkC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 03:41 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Trailer coupler height unloaded and loaded is 19” on our trailer. That is the measured with the trailer frame level to the world, depending on your tow vehicle suspension the height will change when connected. That’s where your WDH adjustments will come into play. Fastway has a great video explaining setup for their E2 hitch on UTube.
We tow ours with a Toyota Tacoma & I just figured 1 1/2” drop of the truck rear for ballpark set up & left the hitch ball at 20 1/2”for trailer pickup.
Gasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 03:41 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
I know it's advertised 19" loaded, but anyone have any idea how much higher it is unloaded? Getting my WDH setup close (Andersen) for a June pickup, and this first trip the trailer won't have much in it.
The suspension of these trailers compresses very little with added load, so the height will be nearly the same when loaded or unloaded. I would just plan on using the specified loaded height.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 03:47 PM   #4

Thanks. My F150 won't squat as much as the Tacoma, but my ball height options as of now are 21.25 or 19.75 as the Andersen has 1.5" increments. Seems the 19.75 will most likely be the closest, but I'll have tools to change it as needed.
Old 03-07-2021, 06:47 PM   #5

Trailer: 19 Escape, arrived March 2021
On the TV, is the measurement to the top of the 2" ball, or to the top of the bar to which the ball is mounted?
thunderworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:00 PM   #6

Top of the ball. Andersen wants the top of the ball to be 1 to 1.5" higher than the top of the coupler.
Old 03-08-2021, 01:22 AM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
Top of the ball. Andersen wants the top of the ball to be 1 to 1.5" higher than the top of the coupler.
That doesn't make sense to me. Wouldn't you measure your four truck fenders for reference then level the trailer and set the ball to match, then hook up and then add torsion bars. To adjust the torsion bars, add links till the vehicle sits at it's original height. That's how I would do it.

I'm joining the conversation as I wasn't happy with the setup of my 2020 19 last summer. Different truck this year, I'll have to hit the scales.
Old 03-08-2021, 05:29 AM   #8

Trailer: NE21
Having been through the same set up issue for my 21NE pick up using a 2019 Ford Ranger. I set the ball height at 21.5. After set up and leveling with the Andersen WDH with trailer was within 1/2 in of level with the front of the trailer slightly lower. It towed very well from Denver to Massachusetts. The suspension on the Ranger is quite soft, so squatted a little more than I expected, but I was able to get the tow vehicle very close to level with the WDH adjustment. I know I have a learning curve to using the Andersen. I plan on tweeking the hitch height to try to get to perfectly level...
rjetre@charter.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 06:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
That doesn't make sense to me. Wouldn't you measure your four truck fenders for reference then level the trailer and set the ball to match, then hook up and then add torsion bars. To adjust the torsion bars, add links till the vehicle sits at it's original height. That's how I would do it.

I'm joining the conversation as I wasn't happy with the setup of my 2020 19 last summer. Different truck this year, I'll have to hit the scales.
No torsion bars with the Andersen. You're right with respect to taking initial measurements at the corners, and then adjusting weight transfer based on those, but it's also important it set the initial ball height as well. If too low/high, and I transfer the right amount of weight to the front, I still might not be level. Or, if I got it level, did I transfer too much weight? It's a fine tuning evolution. Per Ford's guide, for my F-150 I want to transfer enough weight to the front to return about 25% of the unloaded height. I'd shoot for that or split the difference between loaded/unloaded measurements.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:24 AM   #10

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21 NE
Working on getting my Fastway e-2 hitch set up as well for our 21NE which will be delivered in April. So far the ball height is at about 21.5 inches. To go lower I would have to get a longer shank. I think it will work OK and if it's not perfect I can get the longer shank later. I'll know by the time we get home...picking up the trailer in Salt Lake City and taking it home to Texas.
GregColdewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 12:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregColdewey View Post
Working on getting my Fastway e-2 hitch set up as well for our 21NE which will be delivered in April. So far the ball height is at about 21.5 inches. To go lower I would have to get a longer shank. I think it will work OK and if it's not perfect I can get the longer shank later.
With a tandem-axle trailer such as the Escape 19', a bit too high is better than a bit too low, so that sounds like a reasonable plan to me.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
That doesn't make sense to me. Wouldn't you measure your four truck fenders for reference then level the trailer and set the ball to match, then hook up and then add torsion bars. To adjust the torsion bars, add links till the vehicle sits at it's original height.
Starting with the ball a bit higher than the final desired height makes sense, as already explained, to allow for the rear of the tow vehicle dropping when the trailer is hitched.

But proper adjustment of the WD hitch - of any type - does not involve all four corners of the truck and has little if anything to do with whether or not the truck is level. The WD system is adjusted to nearly bring the front with trailer hitched and WD applied back down almost to the height that it was without the trailer. Whether that results in a level truck or not is not important and not determined by the WDH.
Old 04-18-2021, 07:38 AM   #13

Trailer: EX 2013 Scamp 16 OWNER, CURRENT 2016 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregColdewey View Post
Working on getting my Fastway e-2 hitch set up as well for our 21NE which will be delivered in April. So far the ball height is at about 21.5 inches. To go lower I would have to get a longer shank. I think it will work OK and if it's not perfect I can get the longer shank later. I'll know by the time we get home...picking up the trailer in Salt Lake City and taking it home to Texas.
Greg, is your trailer lifted? Similar to you, I am trying to set up a hitch for a 2016 lifted 21C I bought and need to pick up. The owner measured the coupler height to only 17.5" so I suspect the trailer or the ground are not level and I am trying to make my best guess as to what the ball height should be.
In pix, the trailer does appear to be nicely lifted so I don't think the torsion springs are shot. If yours is 19" w/o a lift, I should be able to add about 2-5/8" to estimate mine, right?
Brian B-P, Donna Dee, Rubicon Dave, your thoughts as well?
Semievolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 05:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semievolved View Post
Similar to you, I am trying to set up a hitch for a 2016 lifted 21C I bought and need to pick up. The owner measured the coupler height to only 17.5" so I suspect the trailer or the ground are not level and I am trying to make my best guess as to what the ball height should be.
The owner may have measured to the bottom of the coupler instead the top of the coupler socket (which is the top of the ball). That would make a (very) roughly three-inch difference.
Old 04-18-2021, 08:10 PM   #15

Trailer: EX 2013 Scamp 16 OWNER, CURRENT 2016 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The owner may have measured to the bottom of the coupler instead the top of the coupler socket (which is the top of the ball). That would make a (very) roughly three-inch difference.

thanks much, i set it at 21 3/8" because a step in either direction would be either 23" or about 20". i appreciate the help.
Semievolved is offline   Reply With Quote